Page: 12
redragonx
Total posts: 73
Posted:I gots a problem. i was spinning poi on school grounds, and my principal thinks its illegal, so he called the cops. so i need proof that spinning poi is legal so i can get my gear back. (p.s. I'm in canada so i need canadian proof) can anybody gimme a hand with this?

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

Delete Topic

phunky
old hand
Total posts: 877
Posted:You're spinning fire at school?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Delete

redragonx
Posted:no, just dead glosticks on my chains, and i was in the middle of a feild anywho

Delete

SilverEyes
Total posts: 45
Posted:I'm not sure about how Canadian law works, but don't they have to give you a reason for something to be considered illegal before your goods can be confiscated? Your principal may just be relying on the fact that you're a minor to bully you about. Ask your folks for help in dealing with this; they may give you grief, but most parents will still fight tooth and nail to keep others from treating their kids unfairly. (They tend to prefer to keep that prerogative for themselves, LOL)

Delete

rex
rex

Total posts: 263
Posted:uhm, maybe it's different in Canada but uh.. doesn't the burden of proof fall on them to prove that it's ILLEGAL? like uh, innocent until proven guilty?i dunno.. i've heard Canada is funny about some things like that..

Delete

rex
rex

Total posts: 263
Posted:-sigh-why must i be such a slow typer.

Delete

redragonx
Posted:it can be considered a weapon if ur set up is like nunchuks, and i think thats how the cops are thinkin of them

Delete

phunky
old hand
Total posts: 877
Posted:ya use tennis balls but cover them up with a fabric of some sort. Try to make it look as "non leathal" as possible. Or even put on stuffed animals at the end (try pigs) the chicks will luv ya for it
Non-Https Image Link
------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Delete

M@TT
Total posts: 34
Posted:First off, when you hear sirens that's a clue. When you see flashing lights that's a dead give away to.....RUN!!!! Don't stick around for the cops. But since it's too late for that all you can do is find out how they are deeming it illegal. And for future reference, investigate the anal tendencies of others before you spin. ------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

Delete

Peregrine
Total posts: 428
Posted:some places consider a length of chain to be a weapon (nunchuck or not), and spinning a chain is like using a weapon. and if it one of the weapons its illegal to have in a school, well there you go.pere

Delete

Kyrian
Dreamer
Total posts: 4308
Posted:get a lawyer if it look slike the principal won't listen to your parents. being american and having expierience with american schools i'm almost willing to say get a lawyer anyhow. you should also make them show you where it is illegal... the difference of illegal vs. against school rules is important... I know it's possible to get expelled for having chains in schools but most schools don't haev that insane of rules... general clause weapons rules could be harder, but if you get ur parents to explain you didn't know and it was recreational and you were being safe about it they will prolly let you off with a warning, and tell you not to bring them back. are you actually in any trouble with the poliece at the moment, or did the principal just take them away from you? Again, all these details make a difference between expulsion (which doesn't look like it's gonna happen to you) and the principal just trying to push you around, and whatever inbetween. Hope I can help... (schools have a tendancy to suck!) -Kyrian-

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Delete

xtremravr...was here..
Total posts: 337
Posted:that is BS!!! taking red's poi away is like going in to the art room and taking all the freakin pencils out of the room bc they can be used as weapons!!! what kind of crap is that?!?! to take someones right to perform an art away is ridiculous!!! im not in school anymore so i dont want to give you any suggestions, you might actually use them, like glue the principals stuff to his desk....oh did i sy that?...sorry but really, get your parents involved, like silvereyes said, parents like to be the only ones to treat there kids unfairly...lawyers are too expensive, you could make 10 new sets of poi with what it would cost to pay a lawyer!! well, good luck and keep us posted on the event!!p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Delete

Gruff
Total posts: 106
Posted:That sucks!!Could you not sit them down in front of a computer and point them in the direction of this site (namely the lessons/pics)?Hows about shops/online dealers that sell poi etc... Surely major juggling suppliers such as dube etc... wouldnt stock plenty of illegal goods?Worth a try...

Delete

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Total posts: 6193
Posted:This is what I am seeing....a principal who is aware of the glowstick equals rave equals drug equation, no matter how wrong it is, who is trying to protect his school from the infiltration of such things. My guess is the waepons thing never even crossed his mind at first.First, look into the weapons rules in school. Also see if yours is one of the schools that is implementing the new "no glow stick rules" as well. See which rule you are breaking there, write it down word for word, or write down that there is one missing.Next, go to the police station and very politely ask to speak with the chief/constible/head honcho. Explain what you are doing in simple terms and ask which law you broke. Make a new set and bring them with you to show they are not weapons. Explain the origins of the art and your process for learning it. Explain why you were doing it, and I don't mean saying "Cuz it's kewl". Say you were stressed out and using it as a way of non-agressive stress relief. This is your way of meditation and exercise. Things to remember..go in dressed nicely, use normal..non-abbreviated slang-speech, no matter how they try to rile you up maintain your calm, be respectful, be polite, be matter of fact and to the point. Tell them that you invested good money into building these and so you don't want to lose them. Also tell them that you are doing this because you want to be informed for the future as the exact legal implications of what you are doing.A lawyer isn't needed. Getting your parents into it might help, but you sound old enough to be able to fight your own battles. If you do it responsibly it will look amazing for you in the eyes of the "officials" and your parents. Do some research. Mind your manners and let us know what happens!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...http://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

Organized Kaos
Total posts: 238
Posted:my skools really hard on weapons cuz last year a kid got stabbed and they told us not to bring any weapon or something resembling a weapon to skool, two kids got expelled for swiss army knives to skool on a keychain.and the dress codes nuts too...no backwards hats bandanas or visors,,,but i still spin my dead glowsticks at skool and the administration just tellsme to put them away if they see them...btw Im canadian too and there is no rule against spinning...anything can be used as a weapon, (even your really huge biology textbook) just ask your principal nicely to give your gear back and tell him you wont bring it to school again...if that doesnt work I'm sure you can sue the bastards for like false accusations, for personal greif, and hey, maybe even if you really wanna push it, for theft!!!------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??[This message has been edited by Organized_Kaos (edited 26 March 2002).]

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

Delete

Rozi
100 characters max...
Total posts: 2996
Posted:If it is the weapons issue, you could probably take the opportunity to talk it out with the principal.Pele is right (as ever
Non-Https Image Link
). Dress nice, talk polite, & seem reasonable. It may even be good to start with a formal letter:Dear ______I am writing to arrange an appointment with you to discuss the events of "date". I am concerned that my actions on that day may have been interpreted as contravening certain regulations of the school, and wished to discuss this with you.I have previously been in the habit of bringing glowstick equipment to school. This is a skill, akin to juggling, that I regularly practice outside of school hours. I would like to be able to practice the art at school at appropriate times and in appropriate places.I recognise that the school has certain safety obligations to its students and teachers. I am happy to abide by any requirements, and would like the opportunity to discuss with you how I can practice this art without contravening such regulations.Kind regardsetc...Put in contact details, be ready to show information (maybe from HoP) about the moves that you do, be ready to display the equipment, what it is made from and how it is used. Also be aware that it may be the materials it is made from that are the problem (metal chain etc). If this is a case, suggest that you could find an alternative, and you would be happy to show this to them for their approval.It probably seems like a lot of hard work. And it requires you to really keep your cool. So good luck, & take care.R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Delete

Organized Kaos
Posted:nah man fukk politenessJUST SUE THEIR SORRY ASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Delete

Cantus
Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity
Total posts: 15965
Posted:Sometimes on HOP there are posts from younger people that are poignant, pithy, witty or well thought out. When this happens the line between adult and child can become blurred. Making it hard to see the kids amongst the grown ups.Thank you Kaos for redefining the boudaries.

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Dom
Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3009
Posted:Well said Cantus. Sometimes people amaze me, both ways.Or maybe Kaos was being sarcastic?

Delete

dibs_star
Total posts: 603
Posted:Funny that whole illegal thing. I went into a club last nite and got my bags searched on the way in, because I look like a bit of a shifty character; I had my poi's with me, my ribboned poi, bouncers asked me if they were weapons too. Some poeple are so rude. "NO, THIS IS ART!!" they heard me scream. They didn't laugh.

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

Delete

Pele'sWhippingBoy
Total posts: 442
Posted:dibs_star, please say that you are being sarcastic? I'd hate to think that you feel everyone who does their job well is rude.And Cantus, I love your sarcasm.
Non-Https Image Link
------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Delete

Teine
Total posts: 74
Posted:I agree with the calmer faction...usually ignorance is the only thing that allows others to get away with abuse of the law. I'm following suit and recommending you research the laws involved...if your school has a debate team (i'm in nc, usa...don't know if debate team still exists) see if you can talk one of the more argumentative members into helping you research...nothing more indepth than a debator on a mission.
Non-Https Image Link
I usually start these things out with some innocent-sounding, but carefully worded question like, "I tried to find out what I did wrong, but maybe I'm just overlooking the rule. Could you show me where the rule is that I broke, and how I need to go about reclaiming my personal property outside of school hours?"------------------"life begins between the night and the light."

life begins between the night and the light.

Delete

dibs_star
Total posts: 603
Posted:I'm being sarcastic. Sorry. He was actually quite nice and wanted a demo.

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

Delete

Organized Kaos
Posted:LOL Cantus,,,,once agasin your sarcasm makes me laughbut take it easy,,,it wuz all pure jokes,,,read my original post and see wut my first suggestion to reddragon was...sorry if I offended anyone, but people shouldnt take things like that so seriously especially coming from me...
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??[This message has been edited by Organized_Kaos (edited 27 March 2002).]

Delete

Dom
Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:Dibs, I get the same sometimes
Non-Https Image Link
Bouncers at decent, more fluffy clubs tend to have seen them before and go 'Oh, the spinny things!'. On Saturday one of the bouncer at the club borrowed a pair and managed to pretty well with them.However I'll now never try to go to a mainstream club with poi. I almost always have poi with me and have been dragged to horrid clubs with them. The bouncers seem to start off assuming your a dangerous, psychopathic drug dealer and then work down from there. I once walked away from a club because they wanted to take my poi off me at the door! I know they're doing their job, but sometimes people can be really unreasonable.

Delete

Tom
Tom

Total posts: 135
Posted:To be fair, most bouncers just want an easy life.. no trouble.. if they let you spin poi and someone gets hurt (who's fault doesn't matter) they get the blame because they let you do it.. unless you want to start signing contracts saying that any damage caused is all you fault (someone has to sign as 'organiser' when we spin fire at Uni and they are then fully responsible for anything that goes wrong even if it wasn't them personally).. its just the way the world is at the moment..Just trying to look at it from their point of view though.. its still really annoying when it happens!
Non-Https Image Link
Tom

Delete

Organized Kaos
Posted:Heres my second immature comment for this threadI just thought it was kinda funny that Dom and Tom rhyme...------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Delete

Dom
Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:Tell me about it Kaos! When I introduce myself to people in loud places I generally end up at Tom, Don, John ... anything but Dom!

Delete

redragonx
Posted:weird. my name is dominic. ive never met anyone with my name before. nice to meet you dom. p.s. i have the same problem with my name. my solution= just call me skid (long story- note to parents- the first time your kid drives, make sure he takes off the e-brake
Non-Https Image Link
)------------------Just a Thought... Ignore it if you wish...

Delete

Cantus
Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity
Total posts: 15965
Posted:You can always call yourself Alternativa Dom.By the way you didn't have an email addy listed this morning and now not only do you have one listed it's also completely different from he one I used.... but then you know that don't you.....

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

wulff
Total posts: 79
Posted:Well just a general warning.. u probally don't want to light up on South Miami beach.... we lit up and less than 3 minutes later a cop pulled onto the beach so we split.Wulff

wulff

Delete

Page: 12