Forums > Social Chat > four...five...seven. :)

Login/Join to Participate

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
ok, so i have the four-beat weave, and i can do it on the left, and on the right. but i can't seem to put the two together for a five beat. grrr. more work to do...oh yeah, and does anybody have a video of the seven beat weave, or instructions on it? cuz after the five, i'll need bigger better thingz smiletried the btb crossover- OUCH! I'm not nearly flexible enough...YET. smile have a nice night/day kidz!

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
Hey there.Well soz about this but I have no advice what so ever, instead I would like to know step by step how you do the 4-beat weave even if its only on one side. The instructions on the poi lessons aren't helping me to much. So if you have any advice please fire away, take it easy and thanks.

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
sorry tekknogurrl, no vids of 7 beat stuff, although i sometimes throw an extra beat into my 5-beat weave by tucking one under my armpit, (but god only knows how to explain that one) trial and error and practice (and protective clothing) again??hey oats, my advice for you is go back to the 5-beat poi lesson here, but just look at the video: its slower than life, so its a bit deceptive, but at the point where your wrists wrap wround, you immediately need to start moving them accross to the other side. (perhaps a bit quicker than you think)i tried experimenting with timing- at which point should i start moving my arms across, and then, at which point do i start unwrapping them again! (that bits important too!) if that doesnt work, try with eyes closed.sometimes this helps me concentrate more on the actual feel, good luck!!!(right! now i DEFINATELY have to get back to work!!! grin )

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
the best piece of advice i can give you on the 4-beat is NOT to watch that video. no disrespect to the makers of the video, but it's so dark and you can't tell where the poi are going b/c it's too much of a close-up. so read the instructions over and over until you understand them really well. then practice with one hand (if you're right handed, try it on the right first). all it is, when you're about to bring the right poi back to you left, you give it one more twirl and then bring it back. good luck!

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
can anyone on the site actually do a 7-beat weave that looks ok? i mean i can hardly see the point of doing a 7 beat weave if it doesn't look smooth enough...the 9 beat weave on the other hand is a beauty grin (yes i'm not being serious of course!)...happy swinging,Simos

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I've been twirling for about 5 weeks too - what I don't understand is people's anticipation of weaving behind the back. I cannot do a quadruple or triple corkscrew but backwards behind the back weaving is a *lot* easier =)I learnt it like piano - 1 hand first then the other then put em together. And you don't *need* to lean forward heaps to learn it. Just a little bit =) Oh yes and one thing that really helped me was remembering how I learnt the normal weave. At first I tended to move my arms across my body more so the poi swung clear, but then as I got better I could keep my hands basically still in the middle and manage not to hit myself.Backwards was no different for me - I found myself making bigger arm movements at first, but once I knew I wasn't going to get whacked in the head anymore, I could make my hand movements behind my back more subtle.Hope this helps anyone wanting to learn btb.Kes.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Sorry what I also meant to say was that you *don't* need to be that flexible!I am living proof =)