Forums > Social Chat > i need a form of exercise

Login/Join to Participate

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
i need to exercise. really, really need to. firetwirling is the most strenuous thing ive done in two years.can anyone suggest a non-competitive, group oriented, cheap/free exercise form?i was thinking of capoeira, but its $11 a lesson.now im thinking of club dancing (as in nightclub) which looks fun, but just seems embarassing in theory....comeon people, what can i do?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
go out with some friends and jog, and then work your way up to running...theres nothing better for the body except maybe for swimming, and its totally free...thats what i do...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Yeah swimming an twirling insanely hevay wicks is the ticket.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually Whiffle Squeak...while there are benefits of jogging/running it is far from the best exercise for you. It is widely medically documented that it can cause extreme damage to the ankles, knees, hips and feet and so is not as recommended as it was a few years ago. Swimming and biking (though it is not much of an upper body exercise) are wonderful but really require suitable weather/places as do rollerblading and such.Walking, however, does not. You just bundle up accordingly. You can hike for a tougher exercise or just go around the block. Use ankle and hand weights for a challenge. Take a friend or wear a walkman. Walking is cardio-aerobic and works many of the major muscle groups, and is free. You can do it no matter where you are, so if you travel, taking equipment with you is not an issue. Tips on walking for exercise...Walk for 5 minutes at a slow warm up pace and then pick it up a bit. Vary your pace to work yourself more effeciently. If you walk a slow pace always, you aren't getting the cardio side, however if you push too hard, you burn out quickly.Wear comfortable, supportive shoes that are not laced too tightly and comfortable layered clothes so you can peel off layers if you get too warm.For best results extend legs fully. Walk by landing heel first and rolling your foot from heel to toe. This works your butt too. Walk with a comfortable upright posture, holding in your abdominal muscles.Keep your arms moving above your heart to promote good bloodflow and circulation. Stretch before and after to prevent cramping and muscle pulls. Never speed walk to the point where you would huff and puff if you were to talk. Vary your walking path so that you don't lose interest in the scenery.Other than the physical benefits of walking, or any exercise, it has been proven that it reduces stress. Also, walking helps people to think more clearly because it promotes blood circulation, oxygen circulation, through the body. (Ever notice that motivational speakers pace?)Also try getting some Yoga books from your local library. Or check out Pilates, which is similar to yoga.Another exceptional exercise, and fun too, is Bellydance. Many places offer basic classes cheap and or free. Try your local YWCA for info on classes (I teach at one).Between several different studies I have read doctors seem to agree that we need at least 10 minutes of some form of exercise per day, many say that 30 is best. To raise your metabolism, do your aerobic exercises in short bursts. It was found that a person who power-walked 3 times a day for 10 minutes each time burned more calories and maintained a higher energy level throughout a day than a person who exercised once per day for 30 minutes. If you feel it is hard for you to get into a workout routine, add it in slowly. Exercise 2 times a week for a couple weeks. Then add in one more day for a few weeks. In a couple months you will be working out 5 times a week, if you wish. It is recommended that a person take at least one day per week to allow their bodies to rest and recover from any exursion that might have been made during the week. Also you can start with 10 minutes per day. When that seems too easy, move it up to 15 minutes, etc.....you'll be feeling better before you know it!Whatever you choose to do, be sure you enjoy it, as that makes it easier to stick to and make sure you recognise any signs of stress your body may be sending you. If it hurts, it is for a reason, and there is no harm in taking a rest or stopping for the day. WOrk within your boundaries at first and gradually push them.All of my info is from the American Medical Reports, Women's Health Magazine, Walking Magazine, The Yoga Journal and what I learned in some health classes I took when I took the certification course in herbalism.Good Luck in finding what suits you best!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

elliwmember
25 posts

Posted:
ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON ! all these exersises are great and the more you do the more you wanna do. i go out for a walk with my mum (and im not even embarrased by it anymore...) every night and i always feel and sleep better. also all these forms of exersise are nice and gentle and wont cause large build up of muscle , which can quickly turn into fat.-Most of the best exersises are free and what i do sometimes if i dont have time for a walk that night ill get off my bus a stop earlier and walk that extra bit, it all helps in keeping fit and healthy.-and another tip if you have the house to yourself crank up the music and have a good dance around, makes you feel great and gets rid of the days stresses. if you do a few of these things, e.g yoga, swimming and walking, youll be as fit as a fiddle in no time!(make sure you get suitable advice on yoga if your just working from a book as you need to warm up and relax properly after EVERYTHING so can be dangerous if you dont do it properly) ill stop babbling now, hope you find something you enjoy, its very rewardingellie

little miss firefly, burning bright,lights your way all through the night.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Clubbing's good!! If you're embarrassed about your dancing, just take along some comet poi or glowsticks on strings to use until it gets busy. Then start dancing when there's enough people to hide you a bit. The poi should help you feel a bit more comfortable in your dancing.Dancing is probably the only form of vigorous exercise that I could sustain for 5 hours at a time. J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
yeah. no jogging/running for me.years of grinding away at my knee cartilage leaves me with desire to further that damage, the impact jars my ankles VERY painfully, and, well, though i am not overly-developed in the bust, the movement just aint what youd call comfortable.walking is sounding okay. actually, maybe i will go walking with my mum. i did the other night and it was good. and swimming in my friends pool. but then i have to get off my arse and walk to her house...also thinking of contempary dance, again, after going to the ballet today. the desire for body contortion is strong

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Hey ClareSwimming at the beach! I go down every morning that the weather is good and go for a swim. There is nothing better then the feeling you get after an early morning swim. The day just feels much better. smileThen through the months that aren't good I do aqua aerobics. If you shop around a little you will be able to find classes which aren't too expensive.

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
I play ultimate frisbee for about 3 hours every Sunday afternoon. It's an open-invite group who play for fun. There's always competition, but if you lose, you'll play again and everyone has a good time. It's very strenuous if you want it to be, or relaxing, depending on how you play. It doesn't take a whole lot of coordination and skill. See if you can organize something similar.------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

SCI FImember
21 posts

Posted:
i have always found jump rope to be a very effective form of exercise - a complete body workout - almost

It's a burning FaYa

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well I would like to second the vote for cycling. OK, it's mostly lower body, but if combine this with poi, it roughly balances out.Oh, and as a stamina booster, Racquetball! Possibly the best (or maybe only smile ) good thing to come out of America.I'd also like to take this opportuity to say, Pele, you really are an amasing source of wisdom and advice. You seem to have good sound advice for everyone in any situation, pretty inspiring really. *round of applause, bouquet of flowers and showbiz hugs all round*

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
I've been doing Capoeira for a while now, and it's one of the greatest forms of exercise i've done. It's so much fun and boy does it make you work. If you can afford the $11 then go. It's well worth it. Also, if you can swim, do that. Club dancing will make you a little fitter, but the atmosphere is not exactly right to exercise in. Try really relaxing forms of exercise like yoga are Thai Chi which are good for many many things, or did you specifically want Cardiovascular stuff? (Big word Dibs, well done!) grin

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

ellieBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Ok, so it may sound a bit silly, but it's great fun - I go out with my mates and play frizbee quite regularly. It's a real laugh if you play in teams and have to score points, like scoring tries in rugby. You do a lot of running around which is good, and it's something anyone can be part of coz you don't have to be expert to play. I love it!! And dancing, you can get real fit doing dance, and if you can afford a lesson a week you can top up the rest just practising on your own - you never know, you could get some good moves for poi out of it too...Smilese*

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
*snickers*Ultimate frisbe is so cool. Then, of course there's swiming, and biking.