CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I was spinning with my walkman listening to some wonderful music the other day by the seine river and my friend Karine was chilling and watching. She told me that I was smiling much less than usual while spinning.In general I smile a lot and when i spin and realize that a child is watching for example I play with the child (or anybody actually) and it usually puts that huge grin on my face, but other times, it is as if spinning, especially with fire is such an inner voyage that I am not always aware of the "outside world", like in a bubble.So the other day I was feeling every inch of my body so happy to be there, dancing and spinning... yet th happiness would not show... I just looked "serious and concentrated"...do you beautiful people smile when you spin ?Shine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 23 March 2002).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

ellieBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
I've never really thought about it - I don't know. I thing I probably look quite thoughtful, I really don't know tho - gonna have to go find out *goes to find something to spin to test expressing on face* ..... *realises that's no space to spin in this little room* I'll see tomorrow I guess!! smile e*

NightRunnermember
20 posts

Posted:
To be honest, I have no idea. I am certainly in the right frame of mind for it, but I'm a nocturnal dancer/spinner and anyway, in my experience, people are watching the circles of fire & light around me and ignoring my face more or less, so I've never been told what expression(s) or attitudes my face may convey.I wouldn't be surprised if I looked focused or concentrated, though. I don't know about all of you, but I can get pretty lost in the motion & dancing, which, while its a great feeling, probably makes you look like you're paying close attention to something (which, in a way, you are). But we know the truth smile

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Most of the time Cass, right up until i tangle my strings and smack myself in the junk. grinSometimes I also take on that serious look because twirling becomes much more of a meditative practice for me. But, I try to smile- at least a little. Nothing worse than looking like you're pissed off while doing something you likeN8

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
I think I smile most the time, but then in a lot of my photos I just look bored or asleep, and these are with fire confused I dunno.. maybe the little guy in the camera is just taking the piss..Tom

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I only smile when someone hands me a beer........------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Fire Knightmember
17 posts

Posted:
I think I gotta go with N8 on this one. It only takes once or twice after hitting yourself in the junk before you really consentrate on not doing that again.N8- I gotta let you know - you really got a good laugh out of me with your reply.Be safe and love one another.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
i apparetnly assume some of the most groteque facial expressions known to man when i spin, according to my friends, especailly while doing uncomfortable moves like BTB stuff or a series of wraps...ill usually smile when i mess up, and itll be an "eh, what can you do" grin with a head shake thrown in...however if im actually performing, ill throw a grin to the audience whenever i can manage it...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MYMAmember
23 posts

Posted:
And we appreciate it.It warms our little hearts grin

*Live as if you were to die tomarrow, learn as if you were to live forever* ~Mahatma Ghandi*Imagination is more important than knowledge*~Albert Einstein*dream*

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Funny, I've never seen you smile when you spin Cass. Then again, I don't smile much either when I spin.I'm sure I'll be smiling soon though... My NYC-Paris flight leaves in less than 24 hours. smile (See, I'm smiling already..)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
people tell me that I always have the weirdest faces when I spin. I guess that I stick my tongue out a lot too.. I don't even realize it though. Ah well.. its a sign that i'm having a good time i guess. smileHappy Smiling! Matt------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Gabrielmember
13 posts

Posted:
I did a photo shoot and the photographer was using a digital camera so I got a hundered different photos. I found I liked the ones where I didn't smile better. Maybe it was the lighting of the club. I've been told in other forms of dance that I should show more in my face. I dunno. My photos should be up soon...you be the judge.

How much junk could a ninja chuck if a ninja could chuck junk with nunchucks?

4,224 posts

Posted:
N8, ROFL...As matter of fact though I tend to smile when I smack myself or tangle... Maybe just something to do with my masochism wink ... Ask NYC and Nomad, when i spun in front of the NYC fire tribe (1337 - may teh gods of fire bless these beautiful people smile Anyway, i hit myself with the lit wicks in the face and then sneezed because of the fuel inside my nose... that ridiculous scene made me smile...and NYC would just call me "crackhead" winklooking forward to hearing more of your feedbackShine onCassandra

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
From photos I've seen I have a combination on concentration, trying to sh!t a watermelon and having some form of muscular dystrophy.Depends on the toy but I find poi and devil stick the ones that I have to focus on keeping control of more.

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Ive been told i either look like im concentrating really hard.........or im in pain.CheersAPB

Good on usGood on us all

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yesterday, at Poi in the Park, I think I was looking decidedly bored. But then I had been spinning for about 24 hrs (on and off)) at that point.I think I look disinterested a lot of the time. As I try not to concentrate on what I'm doing.Then I look confused when the staffs aren't where they're meant to be - prefering to languish on the ground instead of in my expectant hands.....

Meh

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
I rarely smile...i mean even normally...

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

dacieymember
7 posts

Posted:
i have no idear if i smile but i do it would probaly look like i was in a lot of pain. i find that when i stop concentreting i hit myself. smile

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Twirling trance. I absolutely forget about everything else and wouldn't know what expression I have. I would imagine that it would look a bit agressive as it is my style =/. I always smile alot just after the finishing move tho! smile smile smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
I make some of the weirdest faces when I spin. Every picture I have is strange. Apparently I stick out my tongue, look like I'm giving birth, smile, and puff out my cheeks, just to name a few. If the fire doesn't interest someone, then the looks on my face definitely will.------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*Trying to find Whipping Boy as he would have a much better idea*I know I smile when I breathe and fire eat. I force myself to smile when I belly dance. I have no idea when I am doing fire. I do know I usually end up either giggling or frustrated with comet/buzz/non-ignitable tools.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I always thought I did, as a performer from a range of diifferent areas, the smile is the first thing that I try to incorporate into anything I do.however, finally got a friend to video me practicing last week and found that I not only hardly ever smile, but tend to look down a lot as well, which I had thought was completely not the way i usually carry myself.I guess it's all down to concentration and looking at the staffs but I do need to work on that and bring back the smile! grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
I am a tab guilty of never smiling when I am spinning, and performing. Often I have someone yelling out from the side..Smile Kate...Smile.Usually this makes me laugh, which sometimes I almost stuff up. But even after being told to smile, I hardly ever do. I am always to busy concerntrating to be smiling as well. Apparently I usually have some quite interesting facial expresions. Sometimes people say I look really really annoyed and pissed off. Usually I get that look when I am really tired.I really do have to learn to smile and twirl at the same time. It will look at lot better if I do.------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

4,224 posts

Posted:
that is really funny, I though much more people would be smiling and I was an exception.Bezerker, shitting a watermelon is painful, I feel for you, man winkKatinca, I get the "smile cassandra" thing, it usually makes me smile and right after that I mess up with the poi cause I lose the concentration I guess...reading Charles' post i guess that there is probably a big difference when you spin "for yourself "and when you perform for others...And so i am still eager to know if pele smiles smile But i'd so much prefer to find out in person smileshine onCassandra

Urban_Culturemember
89 posts

Posted:
i fink i found myself dribling once!!!

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
See I thought I looked really into it and serenebut I span at a friends sweet 16 last week and she told me I looked really funnylike my face was all scrunched up and I looked all concentrated------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
Im with Kaos. My parents told me i look REALLY funny, with my face all scrunched and stuff. Hehe. The only difference is, i know i look weird!!
Non-Https Image Link
Peace out------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i usualy have a dopey grin on my faceusualySuper'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain