KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
one of the things i have learned recently is that out of doors and the cafeteria and gym at my school are prolly the only good places for staff. and poi have this odd tendency to hit things that were no where near them... fun things i have learned about space:1. the chairs in the auditorium are occasionally in the plane of your turns.2. the ceiling that you can almost touch does not support windmill style moves well.3. A large poofy skirt does not support close to the body moves.4. the living room couchs move around so that i never have room to do anything that isn't overhead in the living room (and several lamps and beams are determined to try and stop me from doing that)5. this isn't really space but after a 720 palm spin on a staff that has a tails as long as itself (it was a play prop) the staff is pretty well attached to that hand and cannot be quickly handed back to it's original owner6. microphones have a magnetic attachment to poi balls7. people who have lots of space to walk by you feel the need to walk directly though your spaceand, finally8.the ceiling that you can reach up and touch with your hand does not become taller just because you happen to be twirling a staff and you want to do something over your head. (sidenote altho it becomes a little bit taller once you knock those darn panels out of the way)anybody else have any good/funny/embarresing stories about space limitations they didn't count on or remember?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Dont worry about space above - look out for dogs, cats and small children below!My neighbours PEDIGREE persian cat and my dog are the only pets I know that have NO fear of fire. Not only do I have to have a spotter for me but one for the bloody pets as well!Gruff

SabineGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Hi Kyrian,I just wanted to say that point#7 holds true for outside as well as inside spaces. You could also add that in indoor spaces where you can almost touch the ceiling, you cannot practice throws...Sabine

SilverEyesmember
45 posts

Posted:
"She-Ra" sword moves and overhead ceiling fans/light fixtures do not mix...(even worse when you have children who were witnesses to the event)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
cats that chase poi are the worst - especially when you change direction grin [This message has been edited by Ros (edited 23 March 2002).]

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
There's an annoying cat that lives somewhere near me. Everytime it hears me using my comet poi, it runs over to watch me for a bit, and then starts launching itself at the comet tails. madA couple of months back, Tom, Drakien and I were supposed to be doing a short indoor performance. Trouble was, whoever organised it had no idea how much room we needed. We ended up in an area with a usual 10'(ish) ceiling. Not enough room for overhead moves at the best of times, but to make it worse, they had attached hangings to the ceiling so that you couldn't actually walk uder these things without brushing your head! In terms of floor space, there was about enough for one. Not good with three of us performing. It was all a bit of a farce - we hit ourselves, each other, the ceiling, surrounding tables and chairs, etc. so much it was just rediculous. Had to laugh about it afterwards, though grin

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Having a poi vs twin staff show down and trying to look all intense and tribal when the staff twirler opposite you is off their guts is not good when performing to a crowd. Result=Poi wrapped around a staff (whilst on fire) that CAN NOT be unwrapped and therefore having to exit stage left and let off chops staff dude finish off.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Did you know drop ceiling panels do two things when hit?They A) Break apart into tiny plaster pieces that scatter and fall like hard snowflakes all over whomever did the deed and the pile carpet, which is incredibly hard to clean up.They B) Actually lift up and either off center themselves which requires standing on a chair to recenter them or they make a loud banging noise when they come back down which wakes the sleeping housemates who are just above said ceiling, sending them into a complete state of "I don't know and I don't care but cut the thumping shit out!"Also..the gorgeous crystal chandalier across the room hanging on said drop ceiling seems to have a lovely magnetic effect for buzz poi, although it does make an ethereal tinkling noise when the two seem to meet. blushI love indoor practice space as well....The dance barre makes a wonderful block for the mirror, however unwinding and unknotting the poi strings from it can take a slice of time from a practice session! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I had a cat watch me for about an hour the other day. It just sat there, staring! Cats are evil!Being tall it's hard to ever find enough space to spin, let alone in my small flat. There's a lass in London who does amazing stuff with really short poi mainly because she's been limited to twirling indoors so much. So I'm trying to take a leaf out of her book and spin short as well. My staff is about 5.5 feet long, and every attempt to swing indoors has lead to marks, so I've stopped that!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ah Pele, arn't those little plaster chunks wonderful? i actually didn't cause them in the case where i saw them (and asbestos too, yum yum) i merely caused an entire ceiling panel to disapeer somewhere into the superstructure of the ceiling.....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
I got a story: I was spinning poi inside today (dont ask me why), and the music was on really loud. Due to very limited space, i was spinning very carefully, but dangerously close to one of my mom's fave indoor tree plant thingys. Suddenly i hear the phone ringing, which gave me a fright, cause i was by myself. This caused me to lose concentration, and my poi wrapped around the plant. That would have been ok, if i had stopped to unwrap the poi, but i needed to answer the fone, so i started running. Only after i uprooted the tree, did i realise that the poi were still attatched to my fingers!! Needless to say, my mother wasnt too impressed!!Peace out------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Josh and Katinca span poi in a storm drain. They have photos. Very cramped indeed. https://www.geocities.com/kaplunkfire/

Meh

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Man, I'm 6 foot three,,,and I find that even places normal people can spin in, I can't, even in the circle at clubs because my arms are so long the circle widens for mehehe...things I find1. In my room, no matter what my excercise bike will ALWAYS get in the way2. In my room, i have broken five light bulbs and knocked the fixture out twice3. In skool I'll always find a way to hit someone, most of the time a haterand those are my three rules of being large------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
At a local firejam here in Auckland, we had Sage and her troupe after stopping over for SPLORE...So I thought I'd be stupid (as usual)...I rode out onto the dark playing field on my unicycle, twirling my lit staff around and this three legged dog from Sage's troupe ran up and started chasing me, then it jumped in front of my and I had to quickly hop off to avoid running the poor thing over.At least I can assume that I'm the only one who'se ever been chased by a three legged dog while doing firestaff on a unicyle in a prk at night in front of the winner of the poi section of COL2...As for space I'd thought there was plenty but the dog took up the psace i needed, which was in front of me...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Can you be a little more specific Charles?

Meh

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
yo i dont feel sorry for dogs with three legs if theyre stupid enough to run in front of grown men twirling firestaffs on unicycles...Kinda makes you wonder why he had three legs to begin with...------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yes, I can... grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ah, but I'd already emailed her about it when I wrote that.*wonders if Charles is actually thinking of the same thing he is*

Meh

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Dog's and poi's dont mix. My dog is obsessed with fire. Any fire and he has have to investigate. Its scary when you are twirling and then a dog comes racing over barking and jumping. Trying to keep from burning the dog and yourself gets pretty tricky.So I thought I wouldn't twirl with fire while he's around and I would use my practice poi's which are just tennis balls. probably not the best move for a dog thats obsessed with chasing tennis balls.

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
But better than making poi from dog food....

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Splerph (Spellinhg??) That;s the most obvious, funniest, silliest post I've read in a long long time...Thank you for brightening up my day smileC@ntus, i think we lost each other there somewhere, never mind, i'm sure we'll get lost again...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

SCI FImember
21 posts

Posted:
i have learnt from experience that when you practice any move and you feel that you dont have enough space to do it you tend to become better at it------------------It's a burning FaYa

It's a burning FaYa

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Charles, I thought you were making reference to my abrupt answer to Kyrian's request (that I supply her with info about QAF2) in the Roll Call.Must be wrong then.....

Meh