AkA Bluemember
1 post

Posted:
Hi guys I have kept up on this site for quite some time now but never posted before so let me start by saying hi smile I know the majority of the moves listed on this site but there is one that I am still having trouble with the reverse weave frown if any of you could tell me any tricks or give any advice it would be much appreciated Thanx in advanceAkA Blue

Love to allChris AkA Blue

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
I found the best thing to do is first make sure u arms are doing the correct motion.whiel im nto very sure exactly what your having trouble with for me it was that i was switching to the wrong hand leading whiel making my transition from side to side. to get over this i said out loud (yes it was the only way for me) where each hand was suposed to be at each point (ie left up right up, right up left up) this got me into the rythem of how my hands should be moving with the strings.IF this doesnt help your problem just try to descibe what you think you are doign wrong, becuase there are several people on this board who will be able to help u a lot------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Yea, i know what you mean. The regular 3-beat weave seems so easy and natural now :P. I'm also currently trying to get the reverse weave. My hands are so used to the forward weave's pattern that they get mixed up try to go in reverse. Arrgg*, i guess the only thing to do i practice, practice, practice------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
One hand at a time. Get the motion natural that way and then combine them together. That tecchnique has helped me just about more than anything else! Also, go on to another trick for a bit and come back to it. It's really odd how one day you will just pick up the poi and there the trick will be as natural as all get out.Perserverance pays off.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Hey AKA Blue, thanx! Your post motivated me enough to learn the reverse weave in one night [sweet!]. I finished studying for my test tomorrow and i started with the basic one poi drill. Personally i think the biggest obstacle *WASN'T* the motion, since if you can do the forward 3-beat weave, you've already got the hand motions down. Just remember to swing them backwards. Also the timing. At first I though i had it, and then i realized i was doing 2 beats [aka Figure 8]. Remember that you should be making circles [2 Beats per side], in my mind i think of it as must get the 2 beats on my left side, and as soon as that's done, must get 2 beats on the right side. Only concentrate on that side. Your other hand will follow naturally. Once i realized this i had it down in 20 minutes! I've been doing this for 1 week and i've already got the forward and reverse weave, Go Me! smileHope that helps any. And it IS possible to learn it in an hour and half! smile G'luck------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

AkA Bluemember
1 post

Posted:
Ok ok I think I know my problem, its in the transition from left to right. I seem to get my arms tangled on the out swing frown any sugestions this is the one move that has realy stumpted me, I meen the five beat weave was easer to lern then this rolleyes

Love to allChris AkA Blue

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Tai Guy,I had the same problem (hands kept slipping into a forward weave while trying to do backwards) before I learnt the backwards weave =)AkA Blue,Are both your hands doing the correct movement when you do them only one at a time? If only one of your hands is a bit slower to follow the other its too easy to tangle. Once you are sure your hands are both doing the same pattern, it's just moving one in front of the other. (Like the forward weave.)Good luck, you can do it cause for me persistance was the key.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
I taught this to my brother over the phone! apparently the most illuminating thing I said was that to keep your palms and wrists more upward and to find that backwards weave involves more 'pulling toward yourself' instead of 'pushing away' feeling that forwards weave has.thats vague i know but maybe in combination with someone elses report it will be helpful...Peregrine

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
I found the reverse weave easier to learn if you go from the forward weave and turn 180deg into it, because then the poi are already travelling in the motion that they need to do the reverse weave, and all that you have to do is hold on! smileDoes that help at all?Happy (backwards) Spinning,Tim /|\

Tsumimember
32 posts

Posted:
Grah, I still can't do it, but Rome wasn't built in a day. I think I have a good idea of what to do though, thanks to you guys. smile