DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
I bought a pair of chained, rubber ball practice poi about a year and a half ago, but didn't practice much. They were basically an impulse buy at a local open air market that had a nice juggling booth. I've never done any juggling before (i still couldn't juggle three balls if you paid me), but I had been into some Medieval Recreation in the past and learned to do a "figure eight" with two swords. This transfered well to the poi, and became my first trick (before I could even spin them overhand or underhand to the side of my body. =) It also took me a bout two tries to figure out what's apparently known as the "low wave". I've found this site, and started practicing again recently. I can do all the fun newb stuff like spinning the balls to the side of me overhand and underhand.. turning around to switch from overhand to underhand (go homeofpoi.com!), all of the front-side versions of the "butterfly" line, etc. I have a few questions that I'll post in the appropriate forum, but I also just wanted to say "HI" and let you all know that I'd been lurking for a bit and joined the ranks. =)Also, if you're in New Orleans, and want to meet up and show off / teach me how not to develop bad habits, I'd love to get an email from you.-- Dutps. Do I tell people that I "spin poi"? or is there some other verb that is more often used? heh. me == silly newb. =)[This message has been edited by Dut (edited 22 March 2002).]

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
Hey. I'm from Pensacola, which is relatively close. I should be over in New Orleans this summer visiting a friend. I'd love to get together and spin. Have you worked up to fire yet??? You can e-mail me or IM me. decatur540@hotmail.com AIM s/n: decatur540------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
So you've been lurking for a while but you don't know to put your details in the Home Of Poi Roll Call? Or to look for others in your area in the Meet Others section?

Meh

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Careful Cantus, your nicotine withdrawal is showing!!! winkHi Dut, nice to have you on board (bad, bad pun). Here are some poi verbs:spintwirlburn (ahhhhh, flamage!!)I am sure you can find plenty more.R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I was actually being more polite about it than Glowshow or Welcome Matt usually are. And at no point did I call points on it. I figured if I came in and got all that out of the way first then it'd save someone else coming along and whining about it being in the wrong section etc later.I gave Dut links to the right sections and everything.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Sorry that was a little harsh. But I think i was slightly fairer than some of the replies there have been of late due to tis damn point system thing.

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Kudo's to C@ntus...Its one thing to tell someone to do a search, but to actually provide a link proves that you have made an effort yourself to make things easier for the new people.I'd like to see everyone who suggests a search or a place to look to at least provide an address if not a link, as I feel it promotes a more responsible feel to our community.Oops and welcome Dut...good to see you on board (hee hee hee, i'm not gonna forget that pun for a long time)------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Sorry Cantus,It was meant to sound a lot lighter than it did. Blame it on a long long week.Take care of yourself & smile. R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
at no point did I ever think I was being rude... I usually always provided a link to where new people could find thier destination.Sorry if I ever came across in a rude tone or something... smileMatt------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
thanks for the welcome. =) i understand and take no offense to your "points" game. i didn't get the impression that anyone was being rude. =) actually, i had both added myself to the Meet Others section, and visited the roll call already. =)In order to get points for answering a question by telling me to search for something, you'd have to go with this link to go along with the only question i did ask, which was pretty much the "spin or dance?" question. =) hah!POINT!?I think I'm going to go about telling people I "Fire Dance" as opposed to spinning, etc, and even though i have not worked up to fire yet. =)-- dut, newb with points. =){Day 3 of Solo Poi Practice: "Reverse Weave"}[This message has been edited by Dut (edited 24 March 2002).]

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
heh, i like this guy.welcome to the board Dut smile

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
What's this? A newbie being sensible, logical and already trying things before being told???!?!?!?! shockedBugger! I guess all us regulars better start following his example grin grin grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?