Forums > Social Chat > theres something about mary

Login/Join to Participate

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
i read a book a few years ago which explains some people preference for fire and some for the glow.it goes something like this. our brains are wired in such a fashion that we like to see patterns(like in the clouds and wood grains, if you get into it you can lok at them for hours, i bet its gottab real interesting wood though), this requires a constant but stable amount of energy, hence we keep doing it cos our bodies like it that way.our brains also like very simple smooth surfaces, like plastic and shiny new cars. our brains go nuts on these things, repeatly kooking sereaching out this beautiful new thing. a much greater amount of energy is used to do this however. after a time the brain loses interest in this type of work, or requests a new exciting object to look at.the fire to me fits nicely into the first box and glows into the second. with fire you don't need the flashie moves because the fire in itself maintains a higher level of interest, with the glow you have to keep changing colours and doing fancy arsed flash moves, not that thats bad or anything.this theory also explains consumerism and many other things as well, maybe its the answer to everything.we are sold products that have high instant appeal, and are sold in a fashion where they have high instant appeal though fancy adds and the like. but soon we want to replace them because there appeal fads quickly, its lucky there is another fancy whatever for you to buy.stuff that is made crafted or made with natural products (visual products and sound as well) generally last longer and a stronger personal relationship is built with the product, but you only buy what you need, cos its expensive and what you buy has greater meaning than just identiy and functionality. this doesn't lead to a happy capitalists society.this said my comets made of flax with natural dyes look and sound far cooler than either fire or glow stuff it just takes a while to realise this.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
confused

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Alright. shocked That is the farthest freaking out argument for glow vs. fire that I have ever *EVER* heard. shocked You just took it to a level that not very many people are going to comprehend. Jesus H. Christ! The gears in your head turn a little fast, don't they?I officially give up! Stuffed pigs forever...------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Interesting.. i agree i guess.. when you look at photos the ones with glowsticks have an instant wow factor cos of the clean and even circles.. but the ones with fire keep your interest much longer as you notice each flicker of flame around the edges of the circles..and in real life comet poi have actual tails which the eye can see more easily than the trails left by either fire or glosticks..so it still depends on prefrence and mood i'm afraid..but "fire..sound..good"Tom

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
My theory is, if you like glowsticks more than fire, chances are you're a r4v0r. There just saying that is because it's something there used to seeing.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong== []Dro Spinner ====== []Dhunky ===

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Itsgottab is a very clever guy Glowshow. There's not too many people round here that can keep up with him.It's just a shame that he doesn't use his powers for good more often....

Meh

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
itsgottab...that's a wicked theory, definitely something to think about. I'm taking cognitive science at uni and I love this kind of stuff...finding explanations for human behavior is fasctinating. Ever since I've gotten in to poi and have heard the sides of the fire/glow debate I've been formulating my own ideas...here goes...Firepoi and glowpoi are very similar in the sense that you're twirling lights at the end of ropes. But in terms of the look, they could not be more different, even when you're doing the same moves. I think the argument over fire and glow is really just people aruging which aesthetic they prefer.Fire is appealing because of human's innate desire to control fire and because of the inherent danger in spinning fire. It appeals to a very primal, powerful part of our consiousness. The visual texture, the sound, and the smell of fire, all serve to heighten awareness to a euphoric level, because humans are evoolutionarily wired to be aware of the presense of fire. A mesmirising and dangerous display such as firepoi overloads that awareness mechanism. Glow is the opposite of that feeling. If you can break free of the whole raver paradigm, you'll see that glow embodies a very futuristic aesthetic, completely counter to the primal feel of fire. Think about any futuristic movie you've seen...no doubt it contains arcing neon lights, computer touch screens that glow with the same bright diffuseness, holograms (which are basically setups that manipulate points of light in space), and other such things. The crisp, defined trails of glowsticks lend a performance a sense of mathematical precision...the performer seems more a computer than a person. The variety of colours plays on our attraction to bright, flashing things...we just can't help but look, especially if, as itsgottab says, the patterns are constanly chagning. It's the same trick advertiser use so that we can't help but look at commercials, with their quick cuts and bright colours. Fire is an exhilirating trip into the past, and glow is hypnotic trip into the future. What you prefer is what you prefer, although I think the reason fire has a larger following is because, as I suggested before, we are evolutionarily wired to react to the presence of fire.I've never put my ideas out to anyone before...do they make sense, or am I off my nut? grin

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Paddy, my god that's the most precise summary of my entire feelings on the matter! the future/tech/cleanliness of glows vs. the prmitive/primal/spectacle of fire. You've made more sense than any Canadian I've met in real life (admittedly most Canadians I meet are in a pub...) Only one point is left out - only fire roars like the apocalypse."no flame, no gain!"

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

6,978 posts

Posted:
I just had a thought about this (there is a first time for everything)I twirl a glow staff with a fire staff to emphasise swap moves - in the context of your perspective, Mr/Ms/The paddy, woudl i be time travelling? If so, would World War 2 happen if I assisinated John Connor? I take your silence to be agreement, Paddy, .. or shall I call you by your real name, ..DR EVIL!!/lunges forward and tries to rip off paddy's face mask.oops... my mistake... sorry about the wrinkles.../tiptoes back through the tulips

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Awesome thread! Pattern recognition is such a huge part of entertaining and just life in general, and the concept of applying it to almost all things is one I have noticed ever since I was young.It's exactly the same with popular music, the more often you hear it (ie the pattern of music and voice) the more likely you will like the piece.A similar anology to the fire and glow is comparing repetitive music (electronic, hip hop etc) with 'flashy' classical pieces.I'd say both have their merits and their places in our lives, it depends on what our moods and needs are at the time more than anything.Good stuff, itsgottab...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

884 posts

Posted:
Fire and glow at the same time, bendy? I've thought about that...but the time travelling implications can only spell disaster. I tried it once, and it took me three weeks to hitch back from 1365. PS. It's Mr. Paddy. Heh heh, I like that...maybe I'll change the ol' handle to Mr. P. grin

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
in my first post i don't think a fully stated the case against the shiny stuff, at least from the author of the books prespective anyway. the human mind although likeing the shiny stuff, the whole system(body) is put under alot of pressure from it. a simslar type of mental functioning occurs when you are in danger/playing in the superbowl or just watching it these days.the body functions better when in a relaxed state, when mind is relaxed so is body.your're not a total nut yet paddy

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I thought of using glowsticks and fire at the same time once... then realized it needs to be dark for the glowsticks to show... and since fire is its own light source it couldn't really work.Yah, my brain was working that day smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong== []Dro Spinner ====== []Dhunky ===

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
So I guess that sparkly poi-ers live in the moment. Or, on a broader level, sparkly poi could represent the insignificance of our lives which are but small sparks in the univere which shine wonderfully and die away in a blink of the eye. By the way does any one know how to make sparkly poi? wink

carnelian angelmember
31 posts

Posted:
great concepts...maybe the more patterned the object, the more it mimics the natural order, the more fascinating to one absorbed with it all; the more streamlined, the more it stands out from aforementioned order, the more fascinating to one absorbed with one's self? i dunno just a quick thought...so what's this book, itsgottab? sounds like fun...

884 posts

Posted:
Yeah, itsgottab, what IS that book? It sounds like my kind of read. wink

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hmmm, perhaps then the whole fascination with twirling in general is the circles?theres no moves (at least none that i can think of) that arent complete repeating circles (if you carry the whole move through)and im not quite sure about everyone else, but the whole concept of cirlces has always fascinated me, the fact that its the same line, but it never ends, and has either no starting point or infinite ones and the same for ending points, the whole continuity of it...and i could get really chez and go to the whole life is a circle metaphor, but im not gonna do that...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
its call 'the spell of the sensuous' i'm a bad speller so be careful, the author, i have no idea. if i remmember rightly the pattern idea might have been just on chapter or i really have no idea. but the book is for lay people and very interesting reading.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
very interesting itsgottab, allthough I would not sum up all of our social patterns to that one.Anout circles, I have always thought of our fire patterns not onely in terms of patterns, but as the Moebius ring (spelling ?) this horizontal number 8 sign which stands for infinity, you know ? does it make sense to anyone ?shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
cassandra why not? people are either going from one high to the next with the idea of technology and the future it will bring happiness, or those trying to calm down some, looking for a more simplier life, sure there are those that swim between the two but they still fit.are you trying to kill my buzz (if i had fancy computer skills i would put a smilie face here) daniel.

6,978 posts

Posted:
Hey Phunky, you're exactly right about Anna-Nicole Smith. yeah and the glowsticks too. What I meant to say was electroglo (the biggest problem is firewater spray melting the electroglostaff) - but i was too busy listening to the voices in my head compelling me.Oh and Mr Paddy:------------------FYI: I am not Bendy. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: bendy.[This message has been edited by Bendy(edited 24 March 2002).]

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
fire v. glowsticks....there are some other similar questions we are faced with in our lives:hand drums vs. drum machinesswimming pools vs. the beachtravelling vs. tourism winkacoustic vs. electric guitarsand that one that they always stick you with at the grocery store:paper or plastic!

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?