Forums > Social Chat > A Bulletin Board for Coca-Cola? And an interesting take on an old idea

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Heres a long but very interesting article which looks at the "open source" practices in the most indepth laymen's article I've seen.https://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/copyleft/copyleftart.jspOpen Source I see as applying the principle in which this and most other bulletin boards work to a new height of involvement in daily life and business...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
w00t j00 |5 2 1337 |-|@X0r

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Have I missed something?

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Heh heh, I'm guessing that Bender didn't actually look at the link, he's using a silly it typing language, that simulates letters by substitution, which i think may be what he thinks its all about.Or maybe not, but now I've had my say and WAHOOO!, we've confused C@ntus again... grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
j00 5p34k l33t +00?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong== []Dro Spinner ====== []Dhunky ===

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Mr Offender's post appeared whilst I was writing mine. I was actually wondering what you were on about.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 22 March 2002).]

Meh

6,978 posts

Posted:
fear the Penguin, for He shall bring deliverence from Redmond.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Bender, have you and C@ntus been sharing brain tissue lately? shocked------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 22 March 2002).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Nice digression,to return. Interesting concept. Could bring about an interesting debate as to whether ideas exist independently from the original generator of the concept. Also, the idea that ownership of a particular idea is dangerous, because that ownership prevents the idea being used for the good of mankind.Although I can see the concept of free intellectual property working for the Coca Cola's of the world, in two ways. Firstly it enables them to poach anyones ideas, and they have the resources to exploit them. Secondly, they can start their own forums. For example releasing the receipe for cola, and then encouraging people to post improvements. They then have a whole range of new product ideas to choose from. winkPepsi Marketing Executive promotes the merits of new "pot-pepsi", (its the choice of a new generation) noting it as a marketing coup that will enable them to sell more snacks as well.R. [This message has been edited by Rozi (edited 22 March 2002).]

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Well thank you Charles for still not explaining it to me. But, instead insulting me. Thanx.

Meh

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhh, Cantus. We usually just make the assumption that you know everything about everything anyway. (It is that whole aura of intelligence thing - oh, and btw, that is meant absolutely sincerely).The idea is that there should be no such thing as intellectual property (ie. ownership of ideas protected by law, copyrighting ideas so that no one else can use them). The idea being that intellectual property prevents ideas from being used to benefit people and also prevents the ideas themselves from being developed further by others).Certain IT communities have taken the idea into a reality by making their ideas and concepts freely available to all. Some of the fun things to come out of this has been programming languages, operating systems (alternatives to Windows etc), freeware (freely available software) and shareware (shared software).Where it would perhaps be of more benefit is in the pharmeceuticals industry. Where large organisations with the copyright on certain medications will not sell them in particular countries, or will not reduce the price so that others can benefit. As an interesting aside, the question was put to us in the capstone subject for my business degree, as to how we would price just such a drug. What alarmed me was that most people in the class were pricing it at the level that the highest bidder would pay. ScaryR.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
So what does he mean in his original post? When he says
quote:
Open Source I see as applying the principle in which this and most other bulletin boards work to a new height of involvement in daily life and business...

Meh

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
This is where it gets really interesting.We have some great examples here: https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000530.html
And really all the ideas of moves etc, are a great example of this. We share ideas all the timeR.[This message has been edited by Rozi (edited 22 March 2002).]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Cantus - I guess because we share ideas and thoughts - his concept is that the whole world share thoughts and ideas etc.Open source is not always feasible. Ideas cannot simply be copyrighted, nor patented or trademarked etc. Each of these concepts are different.Trademark is a symbol/name or whatever that is associated with a product (Harley could not trademark or patent their motorbike engines, so when other companies were getting closer to copying the Harley image, they trademarked the sound of the engine. In the documentation it is spelled "potato-potato-potato")Copyright is not something that you apply for. If you write something original you automatically get the copyright to it. No need for the "(C)" symbol even. The tough bit is proof of copyright ownership. Copyright is cancelled 50 years after the death of the author. Thus a lot of classical music is free. (Though recordings by a paticular orchestra are not...)Patents are *often* limited to a country, so you would need one in the US, one in Aus, though I think you can get international ones. A full patent means that you have described an example of the product fully and this info is then freely available to anyone. The patent means that only you can produce/use/license the invention. There are a bunch of criteria a patent must meet.Patents only last 6 or 20 years (depending on the type). Considering that a new medicinal drug can takes 14 years from initial conception to market - that leaves the pharmaceutical company only a half dozen or so years to make back the millions of dollars they invested in the drug before a cheaper, generic "open-source" equivalent is available. If the company cannot make this money - the initial research will not be performed - the drug will never eventuate.There are a bunch of other ways to protect intellectual property all with strengths and weaknesses.So even though open-source is designed to create an open environment where a multitude of variations and products is available, sometimes it can prevent further discovery.Incidentally - Coca Cola, Coke, "enjoy", "buddy", the dynamic ribbon device and the contoured bottle are all trademarked. The recipe, however, cannot be covered legally and kept the sole knowledge of Coke, except by using "trade secret" laws. If you tell someone that it is a secret then tell the secret - they are obliged (by law) to keep that secret. However, the only defense is litigation. Since Coke would stand to lose a LOT more from the release of the recipe than they would gain from any law suit, the number of people who know the secret is kept to a minimum.------------------Where's the foetus gonna gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Sorry Cantus, I thought the link itself would make a bit more sense...My apologies if the thread info and the link don't seem to match up...I'm trying to say that the BB idea, especially here on HoP, is very simlar to the concept in the article, in that we all contribute to the greater whole, with suggestions ideas etc.I wasn't intending any of my comments to be insulting, merely commenting that Bender's non-sequiter style comment reminded me on your own sometimes unfathomable (but humouress) comments.Are we friends again, or do i need to drink vinegar out of the rubber chicken again to prove my regret?------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if it's nicotine withdrawal that's to blame for my moodiness. I think it's partly because I didn't get to chat to Ros this evening.I think it's pretty girl withdrawal wink tongue grin. Just a theory (thought i'd share with the group).

Meh

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
awwww........I must admit I was aware the phone didn't ring.... frown

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
! $|D33|< 2u 2 $|D33|< |)!##|23|\|+ +|-|()|<|24z33 |24\/3|2$

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
NYC baby, didn't we say you'd quit drinking some day ? winkAnnoyed cause I still don't get that type of writing.And also very interested in the original subject. Funny enough I saw a doc on TV a short while ago about that and also thought of HoP smileshine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Has anyone tried copyrighting the idea of not copyrighting ideas... grin

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Translations:"w00t j00 |5 2 1337 |-|@X0r"Woo(?) you is too leet Haxor"j00 5p34k l33t +00?"You speak leet too?"! $|D33|< 2u 2 $|D33|< |)!##|23|\|+ +|-|()|<|24z33 |24\/3|2$"I speak too.You two speak different thoughCrazy Ravers(That was a lot harder to read NYC!)leet = eliteHaxor = Hacker

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
No fair, NYC is using that site that converts its for you. Bender and I are freewriting it :P------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong== []Dro Spinner ====== []Dhunky ===

6,978 posts

Posted:
MMMmm Bender wishes that he had a dynamic ribbon device. and that he stop talking about himself in 3rd person.About the leetspeak - is it a raver thing to do in the US? cus although ravers always swap emails (if not saliva), I didn't know that they leetspeak. For me it's a nerd thing (cue high-pitched nasal laughter)A funny thing about open source/public domain policy - I've completed a Bachelor of Information Systems and have learnt more aboot o/source from the Genome mapping campaign then yewni study.Ribbon devices RoXorS!Nasal discharges Suxors!/gives it a rest.

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
I also heard that a lot of the patents and designs on alternative fuel (mostly for cars) have been bought and hidden by the major Oil/Petrol companies.. when are they going to learn that there are more important things than money and profit? or are they going to be forced to change when the Arab countries that produce the majority of oil finally hold them to randsom?