pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey all, not sure where i should have put this, i wanted moves for staff and poi. basically i was wondering if anyone has done any body balancing, and if they had any ide3as of staff or poi tricks that could be incorporated. if you know of any sites that i could link to, to get some positions to practice with 2 and three people, maybe even four or five. thanks for the help...

anyone got a light?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Hey like the fecalphiliac said: at that funky Sh*t!"If ya like that kinda acrobalance, you could book these guys for lessons. They've taught more people how to twirl than anyone else I've ever met.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
thanks for trying bender, not sure what you are gettin at with them. my twirling is fine, i just wanted to see if anyone could explain ways to balance on each other, i can work on the twirling part...

anyone got a light?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
A rolla bolla is a fun thing to try as well, haven't seen anyone doing poi or staff on one yet, though I'm sure there must be someone somewhere...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Pardon my stupidity (go on, I dare you....) but is it a big ball you're referring to Charles?

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
(he he he)Sorry, C@ntus, its a round cylinder with a piece of wood atop it. You put your feet (or hands if you are feeling like a god) on the wood and balance by rocking back and forth.Then you juggle and do other crazy stuff.It's a lot more fun than it sounds, but also quite dangerous if ou fall off badly...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I bet we could persuade Bendy to do it.

Meh

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
Hey pozee,Here is a brief description of a very funky balancing move we do a lot for shows (and for fun). You'll need 4 people, 2 stongish ones and two lightish ones. The lightish ones (who should also have good balance) climb up and stand on the shoulders of the strongish ones, facing each other.A fifth person hands three staffs up to the two standing on the shoulders.They then commence "three staff passing" until staffs go out, or a staff is dropped.There is also "the Dragon" made infamous in Brisbane by the Pyromaniacts. It involves one person standing, one person sitting on their shoulders, and one person leaning forwards with their legs around the standing persons waist(the stander has to use their arms to support them under the armpits). The person at the front usually firebreathes (hence the 'dragon') and the person sitting on the shoulders ususally does poi or double staff to give the impression of firey wings. The only other balancing move I've seen has one person squatting a little, supporting two people who are standing on their thighs ...each doing single staff in their outside arms.I know they're not great descriptions, but you should get the general idea. Hope it helps.maeon

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

stickyfishmember
39 posts

Posted:
Wow Meon, that dragon sounds amazing.I'd love to see some pictures of that is you know of any links. It sounds soooo cool.Love and Peace from a little village half way between London and Brighton with a shop and a church and a lovely little old lady who buys me sweets on Sundays.Rob

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
wow maeon - the words co-ordination, balance and a lot of trust spring to mind! smile I'd love to see some pics too.... grin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...balancing.... have you tried standing on one leg? Tricky I'll bet.Erm, Something I'd like to try, which i think is really possible is to combine Capoeira with Poi, it'd prob work better with staff tho. That'd be really interesting. I've tried using one poi, but Capoeira has to be done in two's or groups to work. Hmmm.... but it's a thought....

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
maeon,tyhank you for pushing this in the right direction, that is exactly the kind of stuff that i am looking for. there are a few that i do at the moment, one is kind of a variation on the "dragon" i think there is a pretty good picture of it on the site here. and i have used the one where one person stands on my thighs, but havent had the chance to try 2 people...another one that i am working on adding fire with is this,i do a kind of back bend and then she steps on to my kneecaps, so basically she is supported easily by my lower legs, then my left hand and her right hand grab each other. she starts to lean back then and it rai9ses my other hand off the ground, then we do a butterfly with my right hand and her left hand...

anyone got a light?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Fine!!!!!!!!(walks off in a sulk taking his rola bola with him) grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hey Charles. Can you (personally) juggle on one of them things? I was just working through the logistics of spinning staff on one and was thinking that basic juggling would give similar body movements to basic staffing. So maybe I could try something like that.......Just a thought.

Meh

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Charles mate, I have to use those Rola Bola things in Voice classes - except we call them 'Wobble boards'. They are actually quite interesting Cantus, the whole point of them is to steady the lower units and isolate the top body unit, so one moves when the other doesn't, it's a way of learning to control your movement. Makes for a better performance - precision and all. Anyway, shut up now Dibs.... POZEE YOU MUST TRY CAPOEIRA WITH YOUR POI.

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
yeah i really have been wanting to get into capoeira. that, i am sure, would open much more understanding, and more creativeness. now to just find the time. thanks everyone for the input...

anyone got a light?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
C@ntus - While I can juggle on them, I'm not very good, need to get my own one so I can practice more.Whether or not juggling is like staff depends almost completely on your staff style...If you tend to move the staff around you a lot, with open arms and over the ehad moves, especially at a high speed, then you are constantly changing your centre of balance. This makes unicycling, rola bola dn all manner of balancing much more difficult.If your style is much closer to the body, has lots of contact moves and especially if it uses a lot of helicopter and horizonatl spinning, then your centre of balance is much less affected by the staffs and you upper body movements. This makes it easier to combine any balance art with staffing.Undertsandably, I'm still having trouble doing doubles smoothly on the unicycle, though I have a fairly good routine with single staff and single wheel...Dibs_star - That's exactly right, the feet and legs wobble back and forth just beneath your centre of balance at the waist, and (in theory) the torso stays conmpletely still...Isn't a capoeira a pig-like landbased version of the dugong? grin grin grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?