Forums > Social Chat > POI: Fire vs. Fluorescent

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
i finally ordered and watched COL2. i am not disrespecting anyone at all, and i was quite impressed, but i actually expected more. i certainly can't perform everyone else's moves on that video, just like not everyone can do my moves either. but i have seen some crazy shit in california and i thought i would see some of the same on COL2.i know HOP is mostly about fire, but i think fluorescent (glowstick) poi are much better. i think people like fire better because it is more dangerous and risky. that's definitely true, but you can't exactly do as many moves as with glowsticks. i'm talking about leg, arm, neck, and body wraps, etc. maybe HOP didn't receive very many flourescent poi video's, i don't know.i am writing this topic to get some feedback from as many people as possible. it will help me open my mind.and i'll be sending my video (fire and fluorescent) hopefully this May for the competition.here are some photographic glimpse's of my capabilities:in this one i am doing combo's of the butterfly while running as far as i can to the left and to the right:https://www.livingart.com/raving/johnnyspacecommander/johnnyspacecommander18.htmhttps://www.livingart.com/raving/1f2frfbf/1f2frfbf02.htmon this one i am laying down doing leg wraps while spinning on my back:https://www.livingart.com/raving/1f2frfbf/1f2frfbf03.htmhttps://www.livingart.com/raving/fantastica/fantastica14.htmhttps://www.livingart.com/raving/fantastica/fantastica15.htmhttps://www.livingart.com/raving/pigletsgalacticawakening/pigletsgalacticawakening11.htmhttps://www.livingart.com/raving/musik2001/musik2001-32.htmhttps://www.livingart.com/raving/remedyii/remedyii15.htm

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I think it's been said before that the people on both of the vids don't represent the whole spinning community. More like the diversity of who does spin. If you want to check out insane spinners look no farther than your own city. I've come to the conclusion that every city has at least a couple of "advanced spinners". You just gotta go out and look for them.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
You really don't want to start this discussion, which has been beaten to death before.I will say this, though: firedancers do all those wraps you mention. Even a relative wrap-wimp like me will do leg, crotch, and waist wraps. I've got a few friends who'll do neck wraps.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
hmmm, well i am quite new on HOP so i hope this doesn't get beaten to death.well, there aren't too many good stringers where i live. it would be nive to live in cali or the uk. anywhere but phoenix.i just wish the video had a lot more fire wraps.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
It's interesting to see where twirlers' preferences in technique lie - Karate KID's wraps must be absolutely magneficent if he/she abandons the use of fire over it. I know not many people may agree with me on this but i reckon no single trick could ever replace the sheer primal enchantment of flying fire while ya boogie.It's delicious.I love glowies, but i love fire more!"What do you despise? By this are you truly known." -"Manual of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
well..i have yet to spin fire, i have only been spinning tennis balls and glowstix about 2 months so im not great at it yet. i do know i trust myself enough to spin with glowsticks and fire, i just havent had the oppurtunity to spin fire yet. i like glowsticks because of the speed and look but i really cannot wait to try fire!!! that is just a different medium for spinning. i dont think that either one is better than the other i just think that they have their own great and ungreat qualities, ya know? well gotta run off to doing more practice in my wharehouse!!! *runs frantically to truck to get poi and practice while thinking of fire!!!*p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I find it kind of funny how this argument comes up every 2 months smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Karate Kid. "there aren't too many good stringers where i live"Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there.HoP is just one resource, there are thousands of glowstickers and firies out there that have never even heard of HoP. They might all be a thousand times better than we could even imagine, they not like doing it in public, and so only practice at home for their own satisfaction. Or any other number of reasons.Run a free add in the local trade & swap mags or put soe posters up. I gaurantee you'll find more people closer to home than you thought...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Today - total fire ban in Sydney, so if I want to spin, I play with my ribbon or beaming poi.Tommorrow - hopefully no ban, so I can play with fire.Horses for courses I reckon wink

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
well, Bender/Offender, i'd have to say this: fire has it's own magnificence's just as glowsticks have their own, too. that's what make human diversity so beautiful. we see things in our own way............

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I'd like to add not all spiners are party goers. Some are old fogies who spin at the park! *ducks for cover*------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Good point phunky - parties/raves/whatever tend to start hours after I've gone to bed. Give me the park, and a nice cup of tea any day smile

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Showing your age again love.

Meh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Oops, sorry 'bout that, I'll tuck it back in....

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
actually, i have been planning to spin at a park someday soon. i need idea's on a good way to make ribbon poi or something you could do during the day............

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
A quick idea for day-time poi. Tennisballs with some type of fabric as the chaser. You can probably make it in under 10 mins. Remember though, the more fabric you add the mored drag that it creates, the slower it spins.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
okay, thanks!

6,978 posts

Posted:
And remember!it goes:wax on, wax off

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
and............"side to side......." haha!

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
This might be a good place to start. This subject has been the cause of more than one headache, I can imagine. Everyone has their opinions. In a sense, they are all right, because it is how they feel, and it is their opinion. I'm suprised that stuffed pigs haven't been mentioned yet... tongue------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
*sniff*I gave away my pig poi to some girl. She doesn't even spin. Gawd, the stuff you do for some lovin smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Gawd, the stuff you do for some lovin
Them's the pits, hey Phunky?!? I know your pain: Now they have a restraining order on me not to step within 100m of any barnyard animals frown Ah such is love *sigh*

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
Just a small technical detail for karate kid. Glowsticks are chemiluminescence, not fluorescence. Make sure you get that straight next time, heh.-Hapes-Nova, pro-glowsticker

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
When I first started coming here this was such a nice, sensible board. With nice, sensible, somewhat boring posts. And now look at it.I can't think what could've happened to it. It's as if some wayward force has exerted it's influence over the otherwise straight thinking members of the community....

Meh

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
no, i am sorry, but it FLUORESCENCE.get it right.

6,978 posts

Posted:
I bent my wookie. frown

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Chemiluminescence because Glowsticks are a chemical reaction resulting in light. UV cloth is fluorescent, which means it releases electromagnetic radiation (light) in response to incident radiation.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Actually, it's both. The chemical reaction releases no visible light whatsoever. It is uv radiation that filters through *fluorescent* dye. You can spin unlit or dead glowsticks under a blacklight, and they glow just fine. "Chemiluminescence" is just the term coined for a self-contained fluorescent light source.I know too much. My cat's breath smells like cat food!------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
sorry i just had to say this...BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH sorry i hada brain fart...lol..o yea, why the hell are you guys arguing over a glowstick?...sorry maybe i just dont understand the IMPORTANCE of it...just a thoughtp.l.u.r.r.XtremBTW~~it is magic that makes glowsticks work, when you bend it and break the glass that releases the magic inside the glowstick that makes it work..duh... :P

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Hey remember PLUR!!!here's hoping god went for glowshows cat grin------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong== []Dro Spinner ====== []Dhunky ===

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
EXTREMRAVER, you got it! finally! it is stupid to argue over something like that. you are the first person that caught on. the important thing was fire or glowstick. people should know what is meant by "fluorescent".sheesh people...... smile

Page: