Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
kk. im new to contact juggling, and practicint my arm rolls with a 2 inch lightweight bouncyball. I want something better to CJ with so i was thinking. larger heavier ball. at some toy stores ive seen some 3 or 4 inch clear bouncy balles with some neon designs painted on. i was thinking about getting one and possibly scraping the paint off, or using spray paint to make it a solid color for isolations. im not planning on doing and hand spins so the rubber stickiness shouldnt be a problem. would this work??
confused

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not invest in an acryllic ball? They're not too expensive, and look amazing for CJ. You can even get them in a color of your choice, or the classic clear.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
well, the reason not to buy an acrylic starght off is this, they are really hard to use!

definatly buy yourself a bigger ball, i recomend a 100ml stage ball to start with, or if you think thats to big, at least 4", the bigger the easier, and weiht dosnt nececarily make it any better. Once youve gotten cofident with the satge ball, then buy an acrylic, youll apreachate it more and damage it less.

Lots of peaple start contact juggling and think, ok, ill buy a small acrylic (cos they aint gonna buy a big one yet, they just started) and it almost always kills off thier contact juggling before they start, because a small acrylic is the hardest thing to use.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not invest in an acryllic ball? They're not too expensive, and look amazing for CJ. You can even get them in a color of your choice, or the classic clear.

i would but im poor : P the 4" bouncy balls i can buy downtown are only about 5 dollars, i would love to have an acrylic otherwise, so when i get good enough that i know i wont completely scratch up the first day ill save up and get one. they look awesome especialy with those isolations. thanks for the clearance, i just wanted to make sure. when i can scrounge up some money ill head downtown and get the bouncy ball and tell you all how it works out. till then, ill be working on my arm rolls.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the bouncy ball will probably suck as they are very, very light.
don't get one.

for $7 you can go here and get a large stage ball like tom is talking about.

they have thicker plastic so are heavier than bouncy balls and they are not filled to as high a pressure as a bouncy ball making body rolls far more attainable.
and they are solid colour already so you'll probably save money by not having to buy a spray can smile

unless of course the 4" bouncy ball is solid rubber eek
in which case get that.
and get five for me too please wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
bounce juggling are we coleman?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Weaselthe one and only, just like chesney
295 posts

Posted:
yes a stage ball is a good idea but personally i think that you should buy an 85ml acrylic, you have to accept that even if you practice with stageballs first, the 1st acrylic you buy is going to get ugly when you get better get one to keep pretty cos the better you get, your still going to have new things to learn and practice years from now and you«ll want to work on them with an acrylic so its best to have at least one that you can try things out with, also you have to relearn things with the new size and weight of the acrylic after learning it with the stage ball, also if you have an acrylic and dont care about the scratch«s you«ll want to play with it alot more and get better alot faster.

birds might be able to fly,
but weasels dont get caught in jet engine's

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I learned to contact juggle with those little chinese jingle balls. I destroyed one and kept the other pritty for performance. Probrably not the best to learn on but I'm stubborn. wink I found a cheap set of Bocchi (sp?) balls for lawn bowling for $10. It has about five 3" balls that are perfect weight for contact, I use them to teach others. I found them at Wal-mart, I don't know if you have one there or not, but any sports sotore could carry them. smile Good luck.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
thanks. i would love to get an acrylic ball, but as i said, i dont want to spend that much atm. ive got 2 small chinese relaxations balls. the kind that jingle. i might try using those. A friend of mine had a billards table during the superbowl, and i found those balls alot eiser to CJ with than my 2" bouncy ball.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

I bought myself a fantastic glow in the dark stage ball for only £5 the other day.

Tescos was under the mistaken impression that it's a dog toy smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
1. where did you get it?
2. how's it play?
3. whats 3 euros in dollars? ubbloco

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
you can try medicine balls, they are fun but when you go back to normal balls they go a fair distance if you are not careful!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
ive stopped using them as they are loud and tend to break things when dropped. i got a 3 inch rubber ball for valentines day from the rents and ive started using that most of the time, it works well.

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
Quote:

i got a 3 inch rubber ball for valentines day from the rents

not just me thinking this is a bit odd surely.??

just randomly or do they give you one every year?

anyway after that coin juggling thread i started messing around with pens and coins. quite nice.
popped into my local hardware store. bought the last gallon of parrafin (they are not accustomed to this sort of demand) the old woman getting it shouted "Harold we need to order some more parrafin" that sort of stuff makes me laugh.

and anyway i bought a fairly heavy dense rubber ball and am now happily sma ih g the eys off my ey board
j lly g d fun what!

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

i got a 3 inch rubber ball for valentines day from the rents

not just me thinking this is a bit odd surely.??

just randomly or do they give you one every year?

anyway after that coin juggling thread i started messing around with pens and coins. quite nice.
popped into my local hardware store. bought the last gallon of parrafin (they are not accustomed to this sort of demand) the old woman getting it shouted "Harold we need to order some more parrafin" that sort of stuff makes me laugh.

and anyway i bought a fairly heavy dense rubber ball and am now happily sma ih g the eys off my ey board
j lly g d fun what!

well, they knew i needed something other than my small chinese balls, and moneys tight around here, so it was a great gift. I play with it all the time, and right in front of me beside the keyboard as i type this :P . Had a teacher take it caus i play with it in the halls once. I had to break into the classroom after school with the aid of a janitor to get it out of the trash. I love my little ball. and now that im getting some 3 ball toss juggling down, i wish i had 2 more, but tennis balls will have to do atm.

Quote:

j lly g d fun what!

confused confused confused como?

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
AH.
well that explains that then

yes and i am busy smashing the keys off my keyboard. jolly good fun what.

ysee i was trying to be funny. i think it got lost in translation

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
that it did, but it was worth a shot. I also recently found one of my dogs old toys in the back yard, is got some cuts in it, but its 3 inches and a bit heaveier. I might use it if i can find some balloons to cover it with. it be great for body rolls. ubbrollsmile

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
well I'm attempting 2 learn n i got a luvly big purple stage ball from anti0gravity... they have loads tongueof toys there.. woohoo

fee fairynewbie
34 posts

Posted:
i feel a trip to Tescos pet dept. coming on!
Glow in the dark...5 quid!

Bargain!

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
I first started CJ using a field hockey ball. But have since made my own. Take a fair sized hollow ball - 3" in size. Make a 1/2" slit and fill up with rice. Using electrical tape carefully wrap the ball so that it remains a ball, taking special car to seal the slit to begin with. The balls I used where surplus from the "Its a Scream" pub chain.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.