MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Note: I strongly advise that nobody read this because it's very boring and none of you really care. I'm just ranting.

Oh, it's a lovely day in Ann Arbor. The snow is falling. And falling. And falling. And falling.

The hospital is completely full. There is not a single empty bed in the hospital. The ER is full of patients who need to be admitted but can't because there aren't any beds for them in the hospital. But the ER waiting room seems to have infinite capacity.

Right now, I've been called to see a patient who has a history of a brain tumor that was surgically removed and has been through chemo. Because chemo kills your immune system, this guy has herpes. He also has difficulty breathing, which means that he may have developed a clot in the veins in his legs, which traveled up to the inferior vena cava, through the right atrium of the heart, through the right ventricle, and then gotten wedged in the lungs. This is called a "Deep Vein Thrombosis, (DVT)" which, when it throws a piece in the the lungs, becomes a "Pulmonary Embolism," (PE). You diagnose it using a special scan called a VQ scan that compares the circulation in the lungs to the ventilation.

So I toddled down to the ER (Did I mention that this man only speaks Albanian, weights 240 pounds, and his last name is completely unpronounceable?) but he was off getting the VQ scan. That was 45 minutes ago and he had already been gone a half hour. They're going to page me when he gets back from the scan. They haven't paged me back. I don't trust them, so I've been calling them every 20 minutes to see if he's there, but he's not and they're getting irritated at me for continuing to call.

Meanwhile, I'm sure that we'll managed to get caught up with all of our consults when right at 4:45 (we stop taking consults at 5), we'll get a call from someone wanting a consult on some ridiculously complicated patient.

I just have to keep reminding myself that I love this job... ubblol

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, and the patient needs to be admitted to the hospital because he's got a bad case of shingles, which we need to treat with IV acyclovir.

But we can't admit him because there aren't any friggin' beds! Ain't this fun? He'll probably wind up being discharged before he ever gets admitted.

-Mike

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
ok,heres another random bit of useless info...acyclovir saved my life after i completely and fully lost the plot and was eventually diagnosed with encephelitis.......actually,a doctor saved my life.........so heres to you,lightning.... hug

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
This one time... at band camp...

Sorry man, sounds like you're having a crap day, I thought maybe some band camp humor might cheer yas up. Or maybe, if you know Far Side, use the Far Side method of healing.

Imagine a guy in a hospital bed with four or five Docs. pointing at him laughing... the quote at the bottom says. "Testing if laughter really is the best medicine"

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Wow, Woodnymph, you got HSV encephalitis? Amazing! I've never seen a case. Unlikely I ever will (it's rare).

Yeah, acyclovir is a wonderful drug, and what's more, no side-effects!

Ray, thanks for the smile. smile

-Mike

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
Ummm...lightning,i'm not sure if you'd want to see someone with encephelitis.....i can't remember a damn thing,thank god,but i believe i was very abusive to anyone who tried to help me and i kept undressing everywhere...kinda like my worst nightmare.... redface ubbloco ..... i was very tripped out for about 2 weeks,i even forgot i was a mum.....scary...all better now. ubbangel

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Lightning,
go get some zzzz's pet, you're starting to sound like one of those guys on scrubs,
best of luck in the crazy house, tongue
s.fish

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Hang in there remember this is what you dreamed of, right? Just keep focus on the good things like the people you have helped and will help in the future. And don't turn in to one of those damn hatefull doctors that changed my mind about med school. Make that profound difference you set out to make day one of undergrad. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Ummm...lightning,i'm not sure if you'd want to see someone with encephelitis.....i can't remember a damn thing,thank god,but i believe i was very abusive to anyone who tried to help me and i kept undressing everywhere...kinda like my worst nightmare.... ..... i was very tripped out for about 2 weeks,i even forgot i was a mum.....scary...all better now.

Of course I want to see a case. Sure will help me recognize it next time I see it, eh?

Actually, yesterday had a beautiful ending to it. As I was finished consulting on our last patient (a very sick man, aged 51, and with a life expectancy at this point of 3-4 months), I went to go down the elevator to collect my stuff.

There was a grandmother there with her 5-month old daughter in a baby cart. The baby's mother was in the hospital after she got an appendicitis. So I rode down the elevator with them and played with the baby a bit. At the end of that day full of death and destruction, I got sent a little reminder that not all is bad in the world. The little girl's smile was like a drink of cold water to a man stranded in a desert. It returned the bounce to my step and the smile to my face, and I left the hospital happy about the world.

-Mike

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Mike can I crash your thread and tell everyone about my uncool day??

I'll take your silence as a yes tongue

Today started great, and I mean that, I was up at 4:40 am and hit the ground running. Literally, even though I can't stand running I always seem enjoy it when I get done with it. I got to work at 6:00ish and started getting things ready for todays familurisation fire on the M1014 shotgun. My PFC (Privet First Class) was a little late, no biggy but we got underway with all 1700 slug rounds and went out to the range. Now for starters I had never been to this range and had no clue where it was... but we found it first try and that just put some sunshine on my face smile (Just incase yall don't know I get lost walking out of my room tongue )

Anyhow... we had some extra rounds and I got to punch a hole in a target smile

Okay, back at the armory now and I go to chow... tuna and dill relish (tasty and healthy)

I come back to have one of my Lance Corprals come up to me pretty darn pissed off. It seems that a squadron's operations office had been giving thier Marines some bad orders to the rifle and pistol range. This is a big no no. So I have brass (officers) and some other people that out rank me by ohh... a bunch breathing down my LCpls neck and I walk into the middle of it. This is where things hit the fan.

Apparently they sent a list to our operations office and the ops office didn't send it to us. So... we didn't have the weapons ready for issue and all that stuff... so basically I had to fight with some officers and fight with some higher ranking enlisted guys because they and their Marines couldn't go on the range. Well the lists got fixed and the orders became valid, but that didn't mean that we had the weapons inspected and ready to go.

So on top of this we have weapons comming in from other armories and going out to other armories... weapons not passing inspection meaning we have to fix them ASAP and all sorts of other stresses. Me being the senior person there at the time having to handle this on less than 1/2 the info.

Man I am bald enough I really didn't need this today...

Well everything got worked out my arse will grow back and in the end I was right to do what I did and the other people were flat wrong. Lets just say that the fam fire on Saturday will have a greatly prolonged cleaning period because I don't have anything better to do but exact my revenge on those who caused increased hairloss!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"