Forums > Social Chat > want to help me make evil robots?

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
well maybe they wont be totally evil but all the same i need to collect some data to calibrate my system such that it recognises objects in the same way as the human eye. Its really simple u create a profile and then the program shows u 2 colours and u either click yes they are the same or no they are not, unfortuantely u need to do it quite a few times so that i have enough data to analyse. When your finished u simply email the text files that are generated by the program (in the same directory u save it to) to me. and then ill be your friend for life smile

The way it works is that if u think the colours are identical u click the same if u think they are slightly different shades u click different. try not to spend more than a second or so on each pair. All up the process should take about 45 mins to complete.

you can download the application here
https://fire.prohosting.com/robotvis/

if you not keen on downloading random exe files ive also included the source code
also ive made it so that the program saves where u are up to so u can close it and it will auto save ur progress so u could do it in 5 min blocks if u liked. if you have any questions feel free to ask

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
The main criteria for evilness in a robot is that it *looks* evil. Think of the movies; if they feature a robot that looks like it can turn psycho, inevitably it will (think Aimee from Red Planet), wheras cute fluffy ones stay cute and fluffy (the annoying dog thing from Battlestar Galactica).

Just put on loads of spinning blades and other things that can cause a horrid gurgling prolonged death, stand back and wait.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
ben-ja-men, ben-ja-men, ben-ja-men.....use your super-powers for good dude!!
cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

No, No, don't listen to him. We need evil robots.

My reasoning is this:
Wars made people develop medicine and other assorted technology much faster than they would have done otherwise.

I'm guessing that having an army of evil robots bent on taking over the plant would result in the scientist type people coming up anti-gravity death rays, proper bacofoil suits, x-ray glasses that actually work well and personal jetpod things.

Of course there'd have to be lots of people dying, but those who manage to stay alive would have all manner of cool things to play with afterwards.

tongue

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
C'off it Bovril, I think evil robots, I think hitchikers guide to the galaxy's evil robot army. eek

I think it's important we start learning from the mistakes of the past no? tongue

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

Hmm, that's true.

How about if the robots were bright orange with purple polka dots?
No self respecting cricketer would play in those colours so we'd be safe on that front.

Plus, it'd make them easier to hit with the anti-gravity death ray should they find any other way to attack us.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
as much as id like to make good robots, all robots turn against their creators eventually
as it came to be in itchy and scratchy land, so it shall be, this is the way of things

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Cool Avatar Ben-ja-men, I'd not seen you without your hat on before. smile

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Yes. It does seem to explain your desire to create evil robots.

my favourite evil robot

About your original request - i would help but...

a) i can't download executables (work pc)
b) i have mild colour blindness (red\green deficient)

have you had any responses?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
tis slightly dated i shall have to do it again now that my hair is long

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
simian: what exactly do u mean by colour blindness as in u cant tell the difference between red and green or that all shades or red and green look the same? ive had a couple or responses but im having more luck asking ppl in person.

also ive uploaded an updated version so that the layout has been improved thanx to some suggestions from vim
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1075349743)

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
When the hell does this end? Im sure ive spent more then 45 minutes on it and im really speedy with the clicks. Also in the last session it sort of stalled several times when I made a selection (the buttons would go grew and it would flip through a bunch of colours like normal, then they would ungrey and the same colours would be there, click again and it repeats regardless of which button you press. I "fixed" it by going into the options menu and clicking cancel and as soon as I clicked cancel it would randomize the colours and let me continue normally untill the bug reoccured. My method of fixing it always worked. Thought this would be useful for debugging)

If this is stuck in like an endless loop and I have infact lost track of time and been clicking for 2 hours total im going to kill you!

Also if you ever make a new version having a key mapped to each button would be handy. So I could press s for same and d for diffrent for example. Would make it speedier and less tedious.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
the new version fixes the glitch with the same colours appearing, it was in teh way i was loading the saved sessions i forgot to make it count how many had been done so that when u completed all of the ones for that colour it get stuck in a loop looking for unchecked ones my bad spank

ull probably find that with the new one it will only take u a few mins to finish. sorry for the bug thanx heaps for sticking with it smile ill be sure to add in a subroutine in teh evil robots to stop them doing bad things to ppl named astar wink

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
it occurs constantly now. does this mean im done? can I email the .txt's to you?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok my take on evil robots

by step; ages 6 and 3/4

ok you can have three main type of robots i think, you can have, bender, from futerrama, insain, menicel, and all together a good giy nad made from 40% of lots off diff thing!

and you can have the type that while is protecive of you flils its arms around while danger is near, has a mantal melt down, gets upplugged and dies, so in effect is tolaly usless!

and you can have the final type, teh down right nasty, mean, killing machines, that we all knwo and love, well untill you see them in the street and try to hug them, and they stick a hand through your gut (or at least is my experience!)

so i rekon a fourth kind of robot would be good, a ben-ja-men-bot may be like the missing bot link between car robots, and rel ones?

and i rekon we should not only exipt it wityh blades, and sharp pointy staby bits, but also with poi, staff, diablolo, stilts, and othe such goodies, cos you never see a robot, when it on a mission, get board, and i belive that they do, but they just dont have anything to play with sp this would help them, plus think of teh combos, and new moves it would create, and then then comes the fun!

a war would break out between teh machines and humans about what type of spinning was best, mechanical, or human? and we could then create all those cool weapons,a nd stuff bov, and put have then built into our poi, so at the right time during a weave then woudl fire!

what do you think?

am i right? ubbangel

Step (el-nombrie)

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

simian: what exactly do u mean by colour blindness as in u cant tell the difference between red and green or that all shades or red and green look the same?

red\green deficience, or deuteranopia.

it's pretty common, especially in men, and loads of people don't know they have it. i can tell colours apart just fine, but there's a bit of a shift from where most peoples green becomes red.

greens look a bit yellower to me, yellows look a bit more orange, orange looks a bit more red.

(leaving aside stuff about 'how do we know anyone sees colours the same?')

Weasel had a brown jacket on when i saw him last.

everyone else said it was green.

confused

(edited for wrongness ubbangel)
EDITED_BY: simian (1075373724)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ok, so i thought i'd do this to help out, but i've been going every lunchtime for about a week now and there's NO END.

i'm beginning to think this a joke. ubbcrying

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
astar if you could email the files to me that would be awesome

Toa Star have u downloaded the newest version the first one had a bug in it which made it repeat stuff. if you want to send me the files that would be cool as if uve been doing it for ages there is probably enough data there for me to be able to use (note if u download the new version it will pick up from where u are up to u dont need to start again)

thanx again to everyone for helping