Azrellemember
34 posts

Posted:
now, i dont know if there's some fancy name for this but recently i've been playing around with the idea of deliberately letting my poi go.

Basically reverse spin with comet/tail poi and on the upswing let them go. The handles should both start to descend first before the heads and with a bit of practice you can catch them and start spining forwards instantly.

Two problems i've found is a) too much momentum fails the trick and b) outdoor conditions can blow the strings off track.

Has anyone tried anything similar? once the weather improves a little here i'm going to take a bash at it with my fire-poi though i'm thinking that gravity may well get the better of the difference in composition

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I have been starting to experiment with throws recently, I have so far managed to release my left poi on the upswing of a reverse weave on my right hand side, and catch it with the upswing of the other poi to pass it back to my left hand! (hope this makes sense). Unfortunately I can't seem to do this with any consistency at the moment and it looks really untidy, but hopefully it will look really impressive when I can get it to work properly!!

weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
after watching poipoipoi's videos which can be found on his website, which has a thread in the videos section, i started throwing my poi.

my favourite sequence of throws ive learnt so far is from reverse butterfly, release right poi so it comes up over and around your left arm. but as you throw the handle kinda loops around the poi head, which stays pretty close to youre left arm, catch the handle when it is about level with your arms. now this poi has changed direction, but dont worry. as the poi head descends release the handle again, it should loop around and end up close to your left arm where you catch it and resume the butterfly smile

sorry if that descriptions a bit sketchy, just go watch poipoipoi's videos, and be inspired smile

and practise doing throws so that direction is reversed and unchanged, so you can do both. smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Oli: Depending on where the string is in relation to your poi when you catch, as well as which direction you move your hand after you catch, you can do that move and have it spin the same direction it started... just pull your right hand "under" your poi head (clockwise) and keep spinning.

I've been doing throws for about a month now, they're quite fun. My favorite at the moment is a reverse behind the back weave throw. Instead of bringing your right hand to the left side of your body, bring it between your legs, and release. Watch out, it's quite easy to uppercut yourself with your poi head, but more likely, your chain/handle.

A few more fun ones are when you're spinning a fountain, bring your right hand behind your back, release, and if you pull towards the front of you a little bit, it'll do a revolution over your head and you can catch in front of you. You can also do the reverse of that, release in front of you, and spin around and catch it behind your back and go in to BTB weave or whatever tickles you.

I'm working on a hyperloop throw at the moment where your poi tangle, you do a throw, they untangle in air and you catch them seperated. Another one, which is actually a bit easier, is you tangle, release one handle, it unwraps itself and flies in the air, then you catch it. Look SUPER sloppy right now, I'll hopefully have them nicer in a bit.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
There are litterly hundreds of throws... from the sublime to the ridiculous....

personal favs at the mo:

over the shoulder, back to front, and over the opposite shoulder.

through the leg from the front, comes ove the back to catch infront again.

butterfly ww throws

butterfly under the leg, poi gos over the oposite arm, catch in butterfly again.

both poi one hand, throught the legs from behind, poi split catch in either hand.

Tapbacks, from Dom, make a throw, as the head comes round hit it with your hand to reverse the spin, catch the handle imeadatly.

wraparound throws. ie. wrap the poi around the opposite arms, let do and catch in stall, outwards stalls down, inwards stalls side/invert.

pin backwards wrap over the same shoulder, release horisontal, poi shoots out, whip hands down and catch in horisontal stall.

the best one i cant do: blue cat has a sweet wall plane btb shoot across his back, swaps the other poi into the throwing hand and catches btb.

remeber too there are loads of positions for catching, not just in front of you, and you can flick your throws so they rotate faster in the air, usefull for really low throws.

I ubblove throws!

T wave

p.s. there are loads of thow threads, do a search.

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
here's a few throws. I've got a whole load more to upload, should be done within 2 weeks.

spherculism throws

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Wow Nx, you've got the throws down and dialed. I have seen alot of those throws last summer while trainning with Forest in OR. I still can't do most of them though.

There was a Man, from Reno, at Burrningman last summer that had Steel Rings for finger loops, and he went off with the throws. ( I have a problem getting the finger loops off of my fingers durring a show, and thought that was nifty) I had never seen so many throws. ubblove I also saw a spinner at the High Searia Music Fest throw a poi 50 feet into the air and catch it after spinning himself around two or three times. eek after the catch he just cept on spinning on beat! Amazing Throw!!! He was part of a fire troop called Flame Shen. Great Group of spinners!

Keep the throws Comming

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hey Fire Spirit, I met a poi spinner called Forest at burningman 2002 ~ Used to hang out at 'noonish juggling' ~ tallish, dark hair, scars.

can't remember a lot else, wonder if it's the same guy,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I do about 6 or 7 throws and after time you figure out its just about timeing .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
hey. i've been doing throws, or as i like to refer to them as tosses, about 3 months, so kutos azrelle ^.^ awesome to know more people are getting into them. definitally go to PoiPoiPoi's site, spherculism.com , thats where i got my basis for tosses/throws/releases, etc. i'm currently working on behind the back and under the leg tosses. well anyways right on , keep it up. beerchug

the kid

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
I just got a new throw down, one for the contact jugglers perhaps.. ubbidea

it's either side of a weave, so starting on your left side on the third beat of a (3bt)weave you throw your right poi under your left arm so it goes around that arm.

Catch the poi head with the back of your hand on the right side of your left arm, when the poi handle points to the sky (probably loads easier for those of you that do any CJ) and continue the circular motion of the throw with your right hand by moving with the weight of the poi head rather than catching it dead

The string and handle must do a full 360 revolution (split timing with the other poi) while the head's balanced on your right hand so you end up with the handle pointing to the sky on the left side of your left arm.

You then throw the right poi around the left arm again and catch as normal.

Repeat this on the right side of a weave for the full pattern. smile

The most important part of this move is that in the time between the first catch and the second throw you have to make the right poi string and handle do a full revolution by really bouncing the poi head round with the back of your hand as soon as you've made the catch. wink

ok that probably made no sense to anyone but I learnt this trick about 5 minutes ago and I don't quite get it yet confused, but it looks nice with sock poi. Sorta like an insane 8bt weave if you manage to keep the string straight when you do the catch to throw thing.
Cheers to poipoipoi for inspiring me to keep the poi in the air more than is physically possible. There's a seriously cool trick on his website titled 'neat trick' in the tutorials on releasing poi which goes well with this move if you do it straight after the one above on each side of the weave eek

right I'll be amazed if anyone can do this trick from that description but hopefully it'll make it into someone's poi routine somewhere in the world

happy spinning (and throwing) from Alex wave

progger

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
hehe that sounds awesome biggrin i have got to try that. btw what do you call it?

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i've been playing around with throws a bit after seeing poipoipoi's video on the last thread. favourite one so far is just letting go on the upwards swing of a weave turn and letting the poi circle my top hand to be caught again on the other side and same again going the other way...
gonna try some of nx's stuff + join spherculism now my enthusiasm for them has been re-lit!!!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
That CJ throw sounds kinda like an extended tapback. A tapback is where you hit your poi head during a throw to make it do an extra revolution... this is kind of like an extended tapback, where the extra revolution is done while still in contact with your poi. Extended tapback sounds like a decent description of what you're doing, assuming I understood it correctly. I've been doing these with fire poi for the past week, it's definitely a crowd pleaser, and it doesn't hurt at all, even with white gas, as the skin on the back of your hand is quite tough.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, three ways of throws.

normal flipover, poi handle rotates around the head at about the same speed as it was spinning when released.

powered flipover, the 'isolated' throw. the poi is give a flick as it leaves the hand, handle rotates around head much faster.

comet or stall throw. easily done with socks or cones which arnt counterweighted at the handle, but totally poossible with chains too, this throw dosnt flip over the head, but instead the chain folows the head like a tail. great for posed stalled btb catches and stuff.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
nice one MilleniuM first thing I thought of when I tried this one today was that I wanted some o' those giant monkeyfists so I could do it on fire.. guess you bet me to that one huh umm ah well
It's sorta like 1/2 an isolated throw, to the other half, with a little bit of contact in between (which you could call a tap, but I don't, cause its a smooth motion), and two revolutions round the arm. And it's all about having the string perfectly straight all the way through. Probly the same one your doing anyhoo I guess 'extended tapback' it is you pre-emptive eunuch, thou tongue
wink(I think it's pretty obvious that I can't think of a decent name for it)

Oh yeah what are your fire poi like cause I bet mine 'd burn me cause of the metal content + I'm a little scared at the mo with fire from doing (recoil) wraps with my fire ropes on bare arms. spank One of those things that doesn't hurt at the time but seriously chafes for about a month after ubbcrying and also carries a good lesson on showing off to your mates...back to the point my fire wicks are cylindrical (bout 6 inch long 2 or 3 inch wide) so I can't imagine how I'd do this trick with them - tell me if I'm wrong redface

[Nx?] sounds like you've got some pretty good ideas on ya throws at the mo I like the idea of tossing it through the legs at the front to catching it in front.. sending it ova the opposite shoulder or high over yer head in that one'd look well sweet, or like alternating it so your constantly throwing each poi through your legs. ubblol

I'm loving those isolated throws at the moment the one's where the head barely skims over your other arm and the handle flies round at a stupid speed, like from a butterfly you can throw on every swing if you get the throw down tight enough ubbloco
-Also throws out of, and back into (being the tricky part) behind the back weave whilst constantly spinning round. You'll find it a bit harder to catch stuff when yer real dizzy but its all good practice, right?

ok that's enough bollocks from me rolleyes
biggrinAlex biggrin

progger

happyreikimember
1 post

Posted:
hey

i am preety new here though i do much stuff i can not considre myself as a grate poier. i have not been reading all the idias here but i guess after timing and maby more , the most importent thing in throws is the wight of the poi. i found out that with the right wight and the right practice ( not so much ) the poi will get back to your hands easly.

i do have a quastion - did any one do throw 3 poi like 3 balls and swing tham around. will love to know.

thank u
have the best day ubbrollsmile

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i do have a quastion - did any one do throw 3 poi like 3 balls and swing tham around. will love to know.

you mean juggle with them?

i reallly reallly reallly want to be able to do that, but cant yet, im sure some body on here can. wink

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
totally agree I learnt the isolated throws mentioned above only because of the nature of my poi (sock poi with a knot and a split ring at the handle end giving a bit of weight) I've tried it with my fire poi and with other poi and it's extremely hard to make it work - a little modification is in order methinks. ubbrollsmile
I have never seen anyone juggle 3 poi but I have seen someone juggle 3 clubs whilst constantly doing a weave above his head with whichever two were in his hands, but again that's loads easier given that clubs are weighted for throwing (obviously). 3 poi can't be that hard really, might give it a try when I actually have three of the same poi kicking around weavesmiley

progger