PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Cirque Du Soliel concept writer Franco Dragone wrote a fairy talish movie based on the CDS show Alergria.

I bought it today on a whim.

In it there is a person who says this...and it really touched me both as a person and as a performer.

"When you step into the light tonight to do your show give it everything you have. Invest every tear, every laugh. Everything beautiful and ugly from your lives. When you do your show and live your lives, live with humanity because whatever you do, it will change someones life."

It was sooooo beautiful to me.

I am involved in a documentary as one of ten professional sideshow performers being featured to show that performers are really human too, with emotions and fear, virtues and foibles, flaws and beauties. Sometimes I think people forget that and this sentiment tied it together so touchingly I had to share.

Warm Wishes,

Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Thank you.

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
Thankies Pele

hug

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
hug
Thanks Pele.

Twirling has become more then a little holy for me of late.
I was feeling a bit at a loss as to how to reconcile this with performing.

Love & Stuff,
Kyle

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It must be an incredible feeling to throw your passions and emotions into your work. My passion is in mine, but my emotions stay out.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

It must be an incredible feeling to throw your passions and emotions into your work. My passion is in mine, but my emotions stay out.

And I agree for you it is better to stay that way.
However, performers are just as in danger of being hurt for it as you would be.
I was telling Spitfire in a PM that I have always thought performers are a very courageous breed because beyond skill, talent, technique...it takes heart, and alot of it. We wear our hearts on our sleeves hoping that it will enable someone else to feel something from the norm for them as well. When an audience does not accept that, it can be quite hurtful, but when they do....there is no feeling in the world like it.

I have an example of something like this. A really well respected person in the sideshow community recently retired. For his final performance he decided to go balls out, put everything into it, got a new flashy costume and all. But when it came time for his final Bally, the area they had put him in was across from the bandstand and no one could hear him anyway. Most of the people who were there didn't really care and he was really devistated, which reflected in everyone else's show that day and his attitude for the rest of that month.
You can't put your heart on the line like that without some risk involved, and just because you are on a stage does not mean you will be loved.

I think that living life like that is such a challenge because it takes such courage, which is why I really loved that quote.

But like I said Mike, emotional distance is a great thing for you. It will keep you from going mad! And I have to say, I don't know how you do it, because I know there is no way I would be able to. Again, for the millionth time and reason, you have earned my respect.

Kindest and Warmest to all,
Pele

Pele

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Same here, which for now is only safe because in architecture studios you get some rough criticism, being emotionally attached to your work can cloud your vission, you may miss what others are trying to tell you and take it as an insult.

But yeah, very cool quote Pele smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Jello. I think all art is cut throat to a certain degree, sadly. Constructive criticism is hard I agree, but wow can so much be learned from it. I think that in that type of case it is simply swallowing hard to get past the pride and investing even more heart into it to make it better. Thoughts on this?

Pele

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I think that in that type of case it is simply swallowing hard to get past the pride and investing even more heart into it to make it better. Thoughts on this?

Yes, definitely swallowing the pride. And also redefining "constructive criticism" so that it's always constructive, even when it wasn't necessarily meant that way. I'm not so much of a performer (...yet...) but I am a makeup artist - which is a *lot* of intimacy and that can lead to some hard core rejection (not getting a job, not hitting it off with the model, the art director doesn't like it) in addition to the criticism. Finding "constructive rejection" adds another pride swallowing piece.

The less ego you have the happier you will be.

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
More than any other vocation, live entertainers HAVE to listen to critiscism!

Whether it is a heckler, another entertainer or Joe I-Can-Do-That-But-I'm-Not-Going-To, it's all a part of live performing, just like the rain, the microphone not working and that pidgeon that flies off with your hankerchief.

For the sack of the rest of the audience, we have to deal with it at the time, in the moment, and make it look like a planned part of the show.

I have a kids show as Willy, the World's Worst Juggler, where I continually profess to being terrible at juggling. I, in fact, heckle and criticise myself! The flip side to this, is even the toughest, staunchest kid will try to tell me I'm the "world's BEST juggler" but I never agree.

I've found it hard to do these shows at first as I ws never heckled or criticised at all, and the interaction with the audience became 100 times harder! umm

And as you say Pele, that's only the start, after that, take the critiscism home and look at it hard to see if there is any truth to it. sometimes there is, and a solution may present itself.

Sometimes there isn't, or the solution hasn't come up yet, so put it aside and come back to it.

The key thing is this industry (yes, I believe it's an industry!) is not about how many balls you can juggle or how many wordsa minute you can type. It's all about how the audience is feeling and how you affect their lives in that instant and afterwards.

Critiscism tells us more about that audience member that a million half-hearted claps.

In fact, it is the flip side of applause, the reaction we all strive towards...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Critiscism tells us more about that audience member that a million half-hearted claps.

In fact, it is the flip side of applause, the reaction we all strive towards...

That's interesting. Strive for criticism? I find it informative but can't say it's the goal.

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Thanks... That was a beautiful quote. I think that we should all strive for criticism... It tells us what we need to work on, as well as what we've worked on too much.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Wow..nice resurection.

How the heck did you find it?

*thinking she needs to watch that movie again*

Pele