Forums > Videos > Ember's video thread

Login/Join to Participate

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
I've decided to consolidate my videos that I've posted into one thread. Yay! Newest are at the top. Comments and constructive criticism are more than welcome. kiss

Fire poi in the snow January 2004 (wmv) - drumming by Helger ubblove ubblove ubblove

Night of the beaming balls, January 2004

Lights on: 1 (avi)

Light on: 2 (avi) - with a guest appearence by Bandit the kitten

In the dark (avi)

Fire poi November 2003 (wmv)

peace ubblove weavesmiley

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Lol, love the cat's head in the first one. My cat watches me spin too but mines a bit more stupid and tries to catch em while Im doing it. Not too smart with my beamers.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
hey just saw the videos, nice job smile hey i was wondering, how long have you been doing fire? what kind are they, what fuels, etc etc. i'm wanting to do fire myself but i need to find out all about it from other spinners. hehe and i assume in the room with the cat those are beaming poi? sweet beerchug

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
thank you! i first lit last april or may, i think. the fire poi are cathedral heads on ball chains with double nylon loops. for fuel, we use generic charcoal starter - might be kingston or something like that. the green glowy ones are beaming balls from hop's store - very fun, but very dangerous!

for starting to spin fire, your best bet is to find some folks around you who do it to show you equipment options and safety precautions. i've bought all my equipment from this site and am very happy with it.

good luck, and thanks for the comment!

peace ubblove weavesmiley

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
ah alrighty then , is the charcoal starter more or less explosive than kerosine or something? oh and also, i noticed you bounced them off your legs a few times, and obviously didnt burn up. why is that? oh and i dont know anyone at all in washington who does poi...i just moved here and we live quite far from other people so... well there is the neighbor chick, but she doesnt do poi lol.. anyways so seeing as i have no one to learn from aside from peoples on the net....any suggestions on what to do? thanks for the info wave

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I'd use Kero, not charcoal starter. Leg/arm wraps don't burn you up because you aren't touching the fire for long enough for it to hurt you. It is quite similar to the concept of running your fingers through the flame of a candle... doesn't hurt, unless you keep it there for long enough smile

You can get burned by doing wraps if your poi have a lot of exposed metal, and especially if you burn with fuels that burn hotter, like Coleman's White Gas, which I don't recommend for a beginner.

Heathmember
36 posts

Posted:
Quote:

You can get burned by doing wraps if your poi have a lot of exposed metal, and especially if you burn with fuels that burn hotter, like Coleman's White Gas, which I don't recommend for a beginner.

Two things: Someone asked if charcoal lighter fluid was more volatile than kerosene. It probably is. Charcoal lighter fluid is typically comprised mostly of naptha, which makes it very similar to white gas in that regard. Though I'm sure that different ligher fluids vary, I suspect that most of them have a low flash point, which makes them more volatile. White gas, for example, has a flash point around 90F.

Also, I'll have to verify this, but I believe that Kerosene actually burns a bit hotter than white gas. It certainly has a higher energy density.

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I can hold my fire heads for a good 3 seconds before feeling the need to put them down with Lamp Oil (kero), but with white gas, one second and I'm toasty. I know this isn't the most technical test in the world, but doesn't that mean white gas burns hotter?

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
hmm interesting... as for the metal being exposed, are there any special chains that would be best for starting out? hug

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Nah, the exposed metal stuff was mostly talking about metal attached to the poi, such as bolts, screws, nuts, and things where a quick link would attach to. Any chains with 90 pounds or more strength will do, I love the ballchain poi setup purchased at the HOP Shop.

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
oh ok right on. thanks for the info every body ! now to convince parents to allow me to do fire hehe biggrin

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know where to buy Colemans white gas in England?? confused

ubbrollsmile
ubbrollsmile

progger

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:

Hey kittyn.
I had a gander at a couple of these. Don't know how long you've been spinning but would be interested to know.
You've got a style creeping in. At the end of the snow vid you're beginning to get a bounce on, which is always a good thing. I like to see people move with poi, so I'd suggest experimenting with more movement and turning.

Another thing: something that a lot of spinners need to start thinking about is body posture. Be aware that most spinners stoop when spinning, leaning into moves. You control the poi, not the other way round.

Happy spinning!

Few other things:
BBQ/Charcoal starter fluid is often kero. Sometimes it's a mix to help it light easily. Check the label, it should say what it's made of. Lamp oil is often kero with additives. As somebody who's used a few fuels and been spinning a while I'd say use kero. I've met spinners who use white gas and they've all got stories of nearly being burnt and proudly display their burn scars. This doesn't happen so often with kero as it burns not so hot and doesn't transfer as easily.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I've met these crazy poiple who show off about their fire scars, they all seem to use white gas cos it burns brighter ~ never seen the point really, I use kero (parafin) which burns less bright, and for a longer amount of time and I use bigger wicks for added flame.

Remember, Fire Poi Scars are all Mistakes, I have none and of that I am proud.

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
I think It's called White spirit in the UK which you can get from hard ware stores and somtime garages but personally i'd have to agree with poi poi poi if you want bigger flames get bigger wicks.

btw I nice vid I want it to snow here now frown

and MillenniuM

Quote:

I can hold my fire heads for a good 3 seconds before feeling the need to put them down with Lamp Oil (kero), but with white gas, one second and I'm toasty. I know this isn't the most technical test in the world, but doesn't that mean white gas burns hotter?

Depends do you mean when you first light them up cos that mainly show how volatile the fuel is and not how hot it burns when it gets going. Otherwise if you can hold a wick for 3sec after say 1 min of it being alight you've a higher pain thresh hold then i've seen b4 umm

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Big old bump

Ok - so your website is out of the picture smile

I'd like to see your snow-video if it's still around somewhere, though, it sounds pretty.

Julie smile

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
would i have permission to temporarily host it?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always