Forums > Help! > A lil help... with fabric paints

Login/Join to Participate

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
When painting on denim what's the best way to go about it??
Paint on, then wash???
Paint on then iron??? then wash???
I'm making a fairy land on my jeans and don't wanna ruin the paints, jeans or washing maschine hehehehe
Any other tips I'd be grateful for too
xx

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
wahey! GCSE textiles is cumming in handy at last! I did some experimentation with fabrics just a couple of weeks ago. I dnt get what you mean by ironing? The things that i did were firstly some stencils. you need a brush rather like a shaving brush, or a sponge, and stencil onto the fabrics. With denim i stenciled in white first, then did the colour over the top. But with plain painted on fabrics i did the 'picture' but used lots of layers. i did an elephant and a flower. looked pretty cool. it would be easier to use transfers. You piant ur design onto some baking paper, wait for it to dry, then just iron it on! Silk painting appliqued onto denim looks cool as well. hope this helps! aimz xx

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I've painted my jeans before, with good results smile
What kind(/brand) paints are you using?
I tend to just paint, dry, wear (while they're still new and perfect) then wash.

I have found that:
Paints usually fade or crack a little on denim (depending on type and thickness of paint) after washing, but a second coat after washing (If it's not too complex a design to make it not worth bothering!) usually fixes that (future washes will go much better) Thin paints are less likely to crack, as are designs (shapes in one colour per shape) rather than pictures (done like a normal painting with many layers). Thinner demin works better than thick.

Have fun! smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
can you guys put some pic's up of completed designs...???
curious to see... smile

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Yeah I've got like, line drawings so I don't layer it and it will be painted on thin... when I'm done (about a month) haha, I'll post up some pics of us partying in our lovely fairy trousers!!!! Fairy's unicorns, strobe and laser lights yummo!!!!!
Can't wait
xxxxx

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Pebeo makes fabric paints which are good and not too expensive if you don't need too many colors. But I bet you could also use regular house paint. Manic Panic stains pretty good too if you have any of that around.

Send pics to show us!!

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
recently I've been using good old 'Dylon' paints, but these can be prone to cracking ubbcrying

My favourites were some by humbrol, fabric doesn't even feel like it's painted and 1 coat has lasted nearly 6 years without a touch up so far ( ubblovestill like new!). ..... but I've never been able to find them since ubbcrying

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.