Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i just put some poi pics online at https://members.fortunecity.com/wideareaintelligence/
and was hoping people could view them and evaluate the camera work.

just so you know, I'm called 2 and my friend is called 4...

...its a long story, but count in binary to four on your fingers to figure out why I like my nick name.. hint 00100 using fingers and thumb of one hand...

...the origional reason did not involve that.

anyway, slainte beerchug

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It was good....apart from the nasty pop-ups that are on there. I think I'm up to 6 pop-ups (have you heard, there's this company called eBay who auction things off...no really there is!) after looking at 3 pics! including those "Do you want to download this software" mallarkey.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
And now it's hassling my computer as aparently I've agreed to download some software cuz I used Alt-F4 to close the window. God I hate pop-ups

Let's relight this forum ubblove

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Quote:

just so you know, I'm called 2 and my friend is called 4...

...its a long story, but count in binary to four on your fingers to figure out why I like my nick name.. hint 00100 using fingers and thumb of one hand...

I noticed you scored particularly high on the geek test...

not really a comment on your photos, but on your web page. I'm willing to bet a Maori looking at your page and reading, "... fire poi, an ancient Maori artform in which wicks are spun around the body on chains" would probably have an anurism or something. Out of respect for their culture, what we do with wicks on chains on fire should be considered a different thing from what the Maori do, even if it is a derivative of the original.

As far as the photos, they are as good as any I can manage. I must admit that I don't care so much for fire on snow shots though - I find a light colored ground distracts from the flames. Fire on snow looks cool in real life, but it doesn't translate to a picture so well in my opinion. One huge plus is that you don't seem to make all the stupid faces when people are taking pics of you spinning that I make...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

342 posts

Posted:
I live in Vermont, and there is snow in the pictures.

[entering sarchasm mode]

Oh my, I shall have to rectify that error on my part when i next take photos IN JANUARY. I mean, how could I have been so foolish as to choose the one square acre of the state with snow on it?

[leaving sarchasm mode]

not to insult you, but how could I possibly take photos in the winter, without snow, in Vermont?

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
the flames are nice n crisp but the ppl are a tad blury in a few of them id suggest trying a flash at the end of ur exposure to get a nice picture of the person n still keep the trails. as for the snow i like it

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

342 posts

Posted:
the new photos actually use a flash, but with a 4 second exposure and the flash at the beginning (the only way my camera does it) the figures blur a little. i still think its nicer than without a flash

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
The time of the flash has nothing to do with it. Weather its in the beginning or end of the exposure, its the constatnt light that makes the person blurry. The only way to get good shots of a person in a stationary pose while keeping fire trails is to shoot in a completely dark area. With fire, however, even that doesnt always work because the fire usually puts out enough light to make the person blurry. I know my beamers take nice pics though since they dont light the performer up very much.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Tripod is your friend, and is pretty much a must if you're doing long exposures like you are. Notice that it is not just the person that is blurred, but also the *non-moving* ground, which means the camera was moving. I don't care how rock steady you are you won't hold the camera still and not get blur at anything under ~1/30th of a second. Darkroom work could do wonders and help work some minor things out. These don't really look digital so I'm assuming you're actually using film. Obviously you've already scanned them in, a little PS work could always help just about any photo.

Other than the minor things, I like the pictures. You might want to find a place with a little less ambient light, that along with with a faster shutter speed, or same shutter speed smaller aperture will help take out the afterimage of the person after the initial flash. Remember faster shutterspeed = less blur of the flame so dont get it too fast or you'll just have dots not perty streaks

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

342 posts

Posted:
Lurch, sorry to tell you, I was using a tripod.
and to icon, it does matter where the flash is, for two reasons.
1. with the flash at the end, the chains appear where they should be, at the end of the exposure, rather than the beginning.
2. instead of having the CCD (we are talking digital) adjust itself for a lower light, and then be slammed by the flash, overwhelming previously present things like past blurs of people, the CCD adjusts for higher light from the flash, and then has time to readjust for lower light and equate blur with flash. this seems like i'm talking about aperature, but i'm not. this adjustment is a lesser one that is hardwired into most CCDs

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Ok, I don't want to cause to much of a stir and what I am about to say is only my opinion.

Personally I do think that these pictures are good but... personally they don't meet my aesthetics for fire photos.

I think your exposure time is far too long, and unless you have a specific pattern in mind the trails just look messy. For great pictures I prefer to limit myself to 1/2 sec exposures or a second at most depending on lighting conditions and specific effects I have in mind.

I do use rear sync flash in my photographs and they tend to pick up the performer quite clearly, I have never used a tripod because I like weird angle shots and as long as u have a steady hand it should not be a problem.

here are a couple of examples of my pictures:

Non-Https Image Link

and this

Non-Https Image Link

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'