Forums > Social Chat > Is it a privilege or a right?

Login/Join to Participate

deadend007member
5 posts

Posted:
Too bad spinning fire isn't something that you earn. It seems like the people that I know that have waited on their first light have evolved faster on their poi skills than people who are over eager to indulge themselves in the light of fire instead of hard work and long practicing. I'm not saying you have to wait a certain amount of time. I just want to see standards of fire dancers are respectable. That goes for paying events also. you should get paid unless you're a poi god.

Buy the ticket.Take the ride.

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
I disagree with some of that. It took me a month to understand a few moves with a staff. Once I knew about 5 and could do them well I tried it w/ fire. It was like having to totally relearn each move. So I would practice one move, then do it with fire. Practice one move, then fire. I didn't perform for a while, but it was easier for me to do it that way. It's a little different with poi. Just like Santanatwo said in another thread: "I think as long as you stick to the moves you know, then you can light up whenever you get the courage." Practice is definitely a prerequisite to performance, but when to light up is totally a personal call.------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.[This message has been edited by M@TT (edited 14 March 2002).]

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I'd have to say everyone has their own pace and there is no rule IMO. I waited quite some time and like the fact that i did wait... but ... well... it is like losing your virginity ... there is no rule as to when it should happen ... simply when you are ready and it feels right I guess.As for having to be a god to perform, I'd say since there are no rules, again, a to who is "good" or better, then I might find someone worth performing while maybe you'd find it too simple... So as long as some people enjoy watching it, why not ? Like music, some singers are amazing because of the emotion they convey in their act allthough they are actally poor singers in academical terms ...just my opinionShine oncassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 14 March 2002).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

deadend007member
5 posts

Posted:
That's what I'm talking about. If you stick to the moves you know when you start spinning fire then you never progress.

4,224 posts

Posted:
yes, but that has nothin to do with how early you start fire, rather with the way you are in general : curious about learning more or satisfied with what little you may know.Do I make sense ?Shine onCassandra

deadend007member
5 posts

Posted:
Why would you be satisfied with knowing a little?

4,224 posts

Posted:
Because "knowing little" in terms of poi moves does not necessarily mean you are not enjoying it and also that you are not working on seomthing else like the emotions and grae you try to express in your spinning... it is like dancing so sometimes a dancer just moving around softly finds more echoe in my soul than a technically perfect dancer doing all sorts of summersaults...On the otehr hand I must say that I like to not be satisfied and always try to learn more, but you can't do that with everything, it would take too much time ... and also sometimes it is fun to do something and be just "OK" at it , enough to have fun , no ?Truth is, the only thing that annoyed me is the title : priviledge or right ? I think it is a bit elitist, no ? please see no offense in that, just trying to understand your point of view. To me it is both a right and a gift, never a priviledge.And also, since i did not post that in my two earlier posts : Welcome to the board , deadened007 smileshine oncassandra

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
I'll never be satisfied. I've been spinning less than a year in total and am a lot farther than some people I've met who have spent years playing with fire. Sure, stick to what you know when performing, but when you're practicing push to your limits. Pain is a part of this art and if you don't try new things you'll never learn. Make mistakes, but don't keep repeating the same ones over and over. Always learn from what you do.------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

deadend007member
5 posts

Posted:
That I agree with. What I was trying to say before is that a clown has to be funny before he should put on make-up.

Randommember
43 posts

Posted:
What i do is learn a move with my practice poi then do it with fire as soon as i think im good enough not to hurt myself i normally use my fire poi without lighting up just to make really sure ive got the move then light up, this doesnt stop me from trying to learn new moves it just stop me getting burned. I had only done poi for a couple of weeks before i did fire but i been practicing 4 or more times a day, everyday. Even then i only did a few moves with fire, butterfly and bth butterfly as well as a couple of turns wraps and stuff. I think if i had waited ages before doing fire i would have built it up into some big scarry thing and found it much harder.------------------"smoking makes you look cool" His Majestys personal Elvis

smoking makes you look cool His Majestys personal Elvis

Shakezmember
5 posts

Posted:
I started with a really crude set of Poi and learned some of the basic moves, since then I have made 4 new sets of Poi each one better (and different) to the set B4. Now I use 2 sets, one with UV trails and a set of fire poi, they behave completely differently so I practice with the fire poi (unlit) for fire and the UV's for clubs, When you light them to play with fire, they are heavier, but they feel recognisable (IMHO Safer) Therefore you can do all your tricks.When I learn a new trick however I do tend to hide away until I've kinda got the gist of it.If your gonna go - Go BURNIN'[This message has been edited by Shakez (edited 14 March 2002).]