MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So something very random happened to me over the weekend. Quite out of nowhere, I developed a sudden interest in classical music and downloaded about 12 hours of it. I like Bach, Brahms, and Wagner (even if he was a Nazi). I also like Beethoven and Mozart, although not as much as the other three.

It's not very good spinning music as I can tell because the rhythm is too unpredictable.

But as music, I've been very impressed by its elegance and complexity. It is very similar to trance in that it's not about the lyrics, but about the sound, and that a given piece may be performed by artists other than the composer. However, it makes use of much subtler tricks of sound, like harmony, changes in tempo, and changes in mood that trance never does. The intricacy is incredible.

Furthermore, I was listening to it in my car yesterday as I braved Ann Arbor's traffic and for some reason I never got fuming angry at the traffic like I usually do. It's also helped me study and get to sleep.

I'm always into trying and exploring new things and new ideas, so this new interest, while hardly off-mainstream, is a welcome addition to my life.

But don't worry. I woke up to some good trance this morning. I have no plans on giving that up any time in the forseeable future. biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Furthermore, I was listening to it in my car yesterday as I braved Ann Arbor's traffic and for some reason I never got fuming angry at the traffic like I usually do.

**giggles**

i used to listen to Hooked on Classics every day on my way to class this one summer. class was at 6pm, across town, which meant i had to leave by 5pm to brave rush hour traffic to get there on time. i used to get fuming mad until i started listening to that.

i love classical music. i play piano, have played since i was 6 years old, so i was raised around classical music. my personal fav is rachmaninoff. i'd highly recommend him. especially the rach 3. if you want some more ideas and good suggestions on music, just give me a shout smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I too like some classical music, although my likings are based on what sounded the best whenever I played it, and if the song was easy to where I could switch between the fingerings on my strings...Without sounding horrible about it biggrin

I played 1st Violin(Melody) and 2nd Violin(Harmony) in orchestra classes from when I was in the 3rd/4th grade all up through my senior year in HS.

I wish I had the money to purchase a new violin so I could still have fun playing spank

My favoritest song I loved to play was Cannon in D by Pachelbell

I also got my hands on the sheet music to the theme to Dragon Heart ubblove

I also find that listening and or playing classical music does help me to calm down and de-stress. It also helps when I am studying also.

There have been studies that say if you play classical music to a fetus in the womb that the baby will be smarter and learn better and quickly. Don't feel like finding sources right now or I would check up and see how the progress of that study was going ubblol

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

There have been studies that say if you play classical music to a fetus in the womb that the baby will be smarter and learn better and quickly. Don't feel like finding sources right now or I would check up and see how the progress of that study was going

Yeah, funny that studies done by scientists of European descent show that playing babies classical music of European origin makes them smarter.

Smells like fish to me.

I think the studies are BS and I'm not alone on it. The studies used poor design, poor measures of outcome, and didn't even demonstrate that the fetus could hear the music at all.

-Mike

1,032 posts

Posted:
Lightning I have to agree with what you said.

I sorta poke fun of the women who will sit and hold a radio up to thier over sized bellys and play Bach and others.

I guess I also sorta poke fun at the people who will read to the fetus.

Did I mention that I don't particularly care for people who make a big ordeal over the fetus as far as trying to make it smarter before it is actually born?

I feel that everything is in genetics...How quickly you learn and percieve the world around you. Granted that environmental factors do play a part in shaping an individual.

Just glad that I'm not wanting kids...No stretch marks, morning sickness, eating odd foods...hmm that part might be kinda funny ubblol

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
there's been a variety of studies with a variety of outcomes and a variety of validity. i just shrug and figure at worst, it certainly can't hurt.

BUT...i do know that a child's brain is in optimal "receiving mode" until about 2-4 years old. that why you'll notice kids at around age 2 or so tend to have what we call a "word explosion." their vocabularly exponentially increases right around then, from something ridiculous like 500 words to 5000 words (i don't know the numbers but it's crazy). it's best to work with them then to optimize their learning capacity because after that, learning goes at a much slower rate and they tend to take it less. ironic considering we start them in school at age 5, right after that window of opportunity has closed. it's not to say that children can't learn after that, obviously, but for example if they sustain injury to their left hemisphere of their brain (the one primarily used for language) before age 5 (approximation), they have a pretty decent chance of retaining language....the brain will start teaching the right hemisphere to function in place of the left. after age 5, there's a small statistical probability of that happening.

ok i'm done being geeky smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, kids' brains are amazing. I've seen kids recover from stunning injuries. And just watching a healthy kid orient him or herself in the world is amazing and beautiful.

Have I ever mentioned I love kids?

-Mike

1,032 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ok i'm done being geeky

ubbtickled

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
Classical is so good, 'specially chopin and brahms. Chopin polonaise in A flat major is soooo good. I want to learn that some day. I used to take lessons, but my teacher went psycho on me and tried to turn me into a concert pianist. I opted out for freedom and a careere making free spotaneous music.

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i agree with all you peeps, i love classical music, whenever i hear some music that i REALLY love it gives me the shivers, whether its teh 1st time ive heard it or the 275th time. It happens more time than not with classical music. I disagree with not be-ing able to spin to classical music. I suggest Vanessa Mai's album. Shes a violinist for thos that don;t know, and i think devils trill on there is a grat one to spin to. biggrin xx