shen_shuimember
14 posts

Posted:
hi.

i thought i learnt how to do the 5-beat weave, but what i was actually doing was this crazy little thing whereby on the left side, as my right hand is crossing over, instead of moving behind my left hand i would bend my left elbow so that my right poi would curve upwards to create another revolution before moving behind my left hand as it would have usually done (in the 3-beat weave). with me? does that make sense? it's funny, because i find it terribly difficult to follow all the descriptions of how moves are done when other people post how to do other moves. i'm a visual learner. show me and i have it down. tell me, and that blank look comes into my eyes. and yet, here i am telling you about what i have done. go figure. anyway. back to the story. so i continued to play around, and i fell into the "correct" 5-beat weave. that is to say, the one that i have seen on this site and the one that correlates to how people describe it... so when i combine the two, i get 7 beats. is this a true 7-beat weave, or am i just deluding myself? and, if i am, please feel free to tell me (or, better yet, you could show me! gasp!), and i'll see if i can do it.

also, if the above doesnt make sense, say so and i'll try to explain how i am doing the 7-beat.

thanks for your time.

asharat.

Those that say, dont know. Those that know, dont say.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hello.

There is a 7 Beat Weave that involves a crazy elbow and wrist contortion. If you are doing this move the same on both sides then it is probably a 7 beat weave, if you are doing it on one side and then doing a 5 beat weave on the other it would be a '6 Beat Weave' Overall ( 7 + 5 ) / 2 = 6

The best way to check is to get a video camera and to do the move as slowly as possible. Then slow it down some more and count, that's the only way I ever managed to clarify multi beat stuff. If you do that then it'll be you that can show us smile

It's quite a controversial move round these parts. Many poiple believe it to be too 'Techy' and that it can't be done Beautifully. In my opinion, give it a few years and it will be like the 5 Beat Weave is now, anyone can do.

If I'm using double finger loops and feeling extravogant I tend to get the extra beats in by twisting my fingers around each other, this produces very elagant results.

Happy twirling,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
It's not a controversial move - It's just an uncomfortable one.... But that's for another thread wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

shen_shuimember
14 posts

Posted:
well...
it seems that noones raising any objectsions, so i'm going to consider myself able to do this 7-beat weave. doesn't feel too hard to do... that's why i was wondering whether what i was doing was considered right or not. i mean, its just made up of two different moves...
now, the reverse 5-beat, on the other hard, that sure is a doozy. hee-hee...

if ya'all want, i'll record this 7-beat and post it somewhere...

asharat.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Asharat: I didn't fully understand your description of what you're doing, but if at any time your chain/string/whatever you're using wraps around another body part, you're doing a 7 beat weave with a through wrap. If all the twisting comes from your arms and you are doing 7 full revolutions with each hand, you're doing a standard 7 beat weave. If you're doing a standard 7 beat weave, the best way I can describe it is that you should feel really silly doing it ubblol Your arms look like they're in a knot

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
it almost sounds like you're just doing a seperation.. then again I'm not completely awake yet so I might just be misreading your post, but you're seperating your poi for a beat then bringing them together to finish and carry it to the other side?

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well after trying to post the link 5 times i am frustrated. so you'll have to do a search... under my member #, 1678, for "6+beat corkscrew", about a year ago, in poi moves, a confusing but good enough explanation of 6+ beat moves with no ugly elbows, a very pretty smooth family of moves. a know a lot of people got it after that thread. see if it helps to clarify...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Now that thread baffled me when I first read it, but it seems a hell of a lot clearer now... perhaps partly because I've thought about the dynamics more and partly because I asked Drew what the hell you meant by a spider ubblol

Anyway, that 7-beat using a shoulder twist isn't all that tricky is it? Needs to be smoothed out a bit... and my shoulders need more practice twisting wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

shen_shuimember
14 posts

Posted:
um...
how do you run that search, arashi?

shen_shuimember
14 posts

Posted:

dont worry. i scrolled up and found it for myself.
yay me.