Forums > Social Chat > An Article (with a photo of me!)

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
https://www.medicineatmichigan.org/magazine/2003/fall/moments/default.asp

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Mike - that's such a nice article. really very humane and a nice picture of you to boot *drools* smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
A very heart-warming story indeed!

It reminds me that there are people in this world who think of other people's needs as well as their own feelings!

beerchug

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
that was vey moving for me and actlualy brought a tear to my eye. ":huggle:'s lightning"i'm sorry to hear about your father and happy the student's at the school understand. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It's really nice Mike. Very thoughtful and heartfelt. Thanks for sharing that.
hug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Thanks, everyone. I'm really glad I got the chance to spread the word. An anatomical donation is a priceless gift that each of us may only make once. Bill Gates can donate his body exactly as many times as I can.

With the knowledge that I learned from "Jane," my cadaver, I have already helped patients. And so, indirectly, Jane has helped them.

I hope that everyone here will give thought to being an anatomical donor. Of course, I would never recommend it to anyone because it is a very personal decision, but I do recommend that everyone consider it.

-Mike

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
That was a very nice article. Very touching. Thankies for sharing!

hug

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Very nice and heart felt article.

Im curious I am already an organ donar, can I be both an organ donar and an anatomical donar? Wouldn't the med student miss out on the knowledge he could gain from examining which ever organs and tissues they removed?

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure of what an anatomical donor is exactly, but I just recently got a new health card (go canada health care system!) and it said i was a donor type 1 or something like that, which means I am a donor of all organs. I don't mind this, but I'm surprised that i wasn't consulted at all and that it wasn't my decision. I wonder if there's a difference between my kind of donor and anatomical donor or maybe canada just has a different policy.

P*L*U*R

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cool article, but is it my imagination, or has your left hand been surgically replaced with a banana?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
For those of you who have asked, there are two types of donation. You can be an organ donor, which is where they will remove any of your organs and use them for transplant. In order to qualify for this, you must be healthy and under the age or 65.

Anatomical donation is specifically for educational and research use. You may not be an anatomical and organ donor at the same time.

Anatomical donation is great because you get to touch many lives with your gift, and organ donation is great because you get to save one life with your gift.

Whichever your choice, I do hope that everyone who reads this thread will give it some thought.

-Mike

ShyFyshBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
That was a beautiful reminder of the love and unselfishness the human spirit is capable of. Thank you.

In the Eyes of the Goddess...All are Equal, All are Worthy ~Pa'u Zotah Zhaan

I honor the Divine within ~Rev Bem

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Why couldn't they donate some organs? Like mirror organs like a lung, a kidney, tissue from one eye? Then they could use what's left that doesn't have a mirror for training doctors. theres no real diffrence between a left lung and a right lung or left or right kidney is there?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Lightning....seeing as I couldn't really say anything more compasionate than
hug
I've gotta say you're a pretty hot doctor in training!! kiss

Let's relight this forum ubblove

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Lightning, what are the steps one needs to take to become either an organ donor or to donate your body as a cadaver? I've heard (maybe falsely) that even a living will is not foolproof and that it is ultimately the persons family who decides what happens.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
can't believe that flash is the only girl to flirt with you after such a moving article and sexy piccy

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
hell i'd flirt but i'm too shy!
plus i don't want to give a wrong impression in my first post

i just did tho anyway didnt i... ubbloco

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
nice one Lightning, you're an inspiration, thanks kiss

LooperGOLD Member
grasshopper in training
124 posts

Posted:
Quote:

can't believe that flash is the only girl to flirt with you after such a moving article and sexy piccy

I would like to remidy that *Elbowing gathering crowd out of the way* Alright then. Mike is it? wink.

Spritie, don't know about USA but in Australia its not good enough just to tick the little box on your Drivers Licence. You also have to discuss it with your family, so i guess they do have final say. There was a big ad campaign awhile ago.

Don't know how you do it Lightning. I am studying to be a vet, but i think my head would be filled with the "who was she?" questions as well.
I accept that occasionly people don't donate for religious reasons... but i heard a story awhile back that sadened me. In a nutshell, a child was dying and needed a transplant of some sort (sorry, my memory is not what it used to be spank ), and parents wouldn't allow it because of their religious beliefs. Child, of course, died. I don't know... if the parents truley believed... but still tragic.

Sorry, of topic. ubbrollsmile Congrats Lightning beerchug

PS My second post, and it seems to be in some sort of italics mode. rolleyes Sorry!!

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
That's a great story. Thank you for sharing it. And also for setting an example for donating. Can't say I know anyone who has committed to that.

I think I donated my brain in college. And definitely my liver. ubblol

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I just want first dibs on my lung scrapings tongue

Seriously, me n my gf were just talking about this the other night..My grandmother was a donor, so were some members of her family, and we were wondering how much respect is given to the cadavers..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im a donar, and belive strongly in it

i aknow that its a cliche, but i dont need my organs post life, so i aint worried, my heart dont make me, my lungs dont make me a better person, my eyes, arent my personality!

take them to help another, yes totaly

mike you are such a nice guy

Step (el-nombrie)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:

Eloquent and gorgeous.......

*sigh*

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

HOP Newsletter