spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
There are loads of things spinners can do that aren't moves as such, but variations or fills that add interest or help when adding character to your spinning. What sort of things do people do?

For instance there are plenty of different things you can do with the 5-beat weave. Simply changing the point at which you cross your arms can create visually different moves - try wrapping one hand at your elbow or even shoulder to get different size circles... this is especially good in the wall plane. And by doing it without having your arms touch you begin to isolate it... which can lead to a host of different moves and techniques.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
i'll keep that in mind once i learn the 5 beat.....when i do the three beat i add in a spin behind my head at the very end with one hand...makes it kind of interesting

Always Beautiful

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
my nomination for best trick by a spinner once again is simian who can climb through a standard size juggling ring on request biggrin

more 5 beat weave style 'tricks' might be stuff like:

fake airwraps (found [Old link] and then [Old link]) which in a bizarre full circle twist, before i'd even seen an airwrap is what i originally thought airwraps were...

buzzsaw weaves found [Old link] and then [Old link].

alternating snakes in reels would be a nice trick ubblove

having said that though, its all just variations really...
fake airwraps are just one specific thru-wrap of which there are loads.

maybe every move is just a 'trick' until you explore their full potential...
like you said, just one of these tricks can lead to a host of different moves and techniques smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Quote:

alternating snakes in reels would be a nice trick ubblove

wink

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Quote:

maybe every move is just a 'trick' until you explore their full potential...
like you said, just one of these tricks can lead to a host of different moves and techniques smile

Hence the thread smile

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Im not entirely sure I understand fake airwarps. ive been doing a weird thing when I hyperloop.

When you go to hyperloop,just as you get to the point where the poi go between your arms, you sort of twist your hands around and the poi come untangled...
...you sort of end up in a buzzsaw with your arms crossed, is this a fake airwarp I’m not sure?

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I think a 'fake airwrap' is a wrist through-wrap. Say for example if while doing a weave one poi wraps say the opposite wrist. Instead of keeping the hands there for the poi to wrap all the way up, it's taken to the other side and it unwraps from the wrist.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Snakeymember
16 posts

Posted:
Im still learning alot of the basic moves and haven't gotten into the really fancy tricks yet. Im always amazed though how some spinners can make really simple moves look great and can entertain for ages with just a small repetoir. I always try and flck between variations of a move like butterfly and tend to use alot of different levels and planes. If you get the right bit of music you can work the same move from lying flat on the ground all the way to tip toes. It's always good to remember that the position of your body is more important than the position of the poi.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Not sure if this stuff applies to your example given but I like doing stuff like extending 1 arm at a time (as opposed to full extensions), when I do wall plane weaves I sometimes have one arm in the opposite arm pit, mixing beats (switching from 4 beat butterfly combos to 3 beat split time butterfly combos, tossing 2 beat weaves in with 5 beat weaves, etc).

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yup, you can do straight-arm variations on pretty much most moves - 3bt weave, 5bt weave, butterflies, TTN, butterfly weaves etc. Looks great and makes it a lot easier to change the planes that you're doing the moves in - point your arm in any direction and do the move around it smile

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I think a 'fake airwrap' is a wrist through-wrap. Say for example if while doing a weave one poi wraps say the opposite wrist. Instead of keeping the hands there for the poi to wrap all the way up, it's taken to the other side and it unwraps from the wrist.

ahhhhhh.... ive wondered what they were, dose it only count if you do it on the wrist? i tend to do them further up my arm except when i mess up. eek

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
it counts everywhere dude! biggrin

robblookat coined the phrase 'fake airwrap' a little while ago cos they look like one poi is doing the small airwrap circle.

it was the first through-wrap i learnt smile
through-wraps are all over the place but as far as i've found its only the ones on the wrist that are near enought to the end of the poi/fast enough to look like a little bit of an airwrap - would likely work on the foot too but i won't be trying that (involves moving my feet wink).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ubblol

im off to try it with my foot later, that sounds fun, i like moves that involve my feet, which for me so far is limited to kicking my poi everynow and again......

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
kicks are a beautiful addition to this thread!

i only use them now and again to be honest but my favourite fairie does *loads* of kicks (and even got her housemate to break his favourite lovely green poi practicing kicks with her!).

she does a kick sequence that is full circles with direction changing kicks at the bottom of every circle.

sounds simple but when it is timed to music and all fits in while cath seems to just skip merrily along it is seriously hardcore eek

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I've seen her do that... bloody crazy looking!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, its like a hop-shuffle-kick kind of rythum and its great! I broke someone elses poi trying to learn them, and i still havent really got it down.

the only sort of 'trick' I have (cos ive been following this trend where ime moving out of 'tricks' and into 'feilds' of movement) is the old butterfly in the teeth move, which when busking you dont even have to pull off, it always raises a smile!

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

t0xicmember
54 posts

Posted:
i do this thing to where as i get a 7 beat rotate a couple of times then i start another 7beat but instead of wraping my wrists around eachother, i do a 360 with my body, so its sorta like a 360 weave but your arms are intangled withone another...i like that, its not really a move but a trick! tongue

general spinmember
52 posts

Posted:
Kicks and breaking poi, hrumph,

I was at glastonbury feeling nervous about doing some poi in a dance tent, I worked myself up to it, found some space, produced some tailed poi i had just bought and started slow with a few easy, slow, weaves then just as the beat kicked in, BAM, I booted my weave so i could go into some butterfly moves and follow the beat with them.

What happened tho ??? PING, one tailed poi went sailing through the air to the astonished looks of me and all the people watching, talk about anti climax, there was so much force in it that it nearly cleared the whole tent biggrin It was like watching penguins when a plane flies over. Funny but didnt help my nerves at all.

I was used to doing it with chains and just didnt think about the strength of my newly acquired poi, poor things. Still... a lesson learned eh?

weavesmiley