[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Ok,

as some of you might know ive been into thease for a little while, and last night i made a huge discovery, I have tried to keep it to mysef for about 24 hours but am no good at not showing off....

however I have decided to bury this dicovery in a whole essay about flowers, in two parts,

this is the first part

and this is the second

have fun.

Tom [Nx]

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Thanks Nx, for what has been the most interesting read I've seen (linked to?) in POi MOves in ages. I'd like to see a copy pasted here, and dont really understand why it isnt?

People get so wrapped up in 7-beat BTB BTL wrap combo ninja stuff that they fail to fully explore the potential movements of poi, and miss some of the more elegant and difficult movements.

seeya,

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

thanks man.

I wrote it as part of a greater libary of techniques for poiinthepark, as im slowly colating a lot of stuff that would otherwise get lost in the rolling turmolt of HoP. Think about it like a poi digest. I can also link them easier in future threads.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
flowers ubblove

X flowers I like, 8 petal flowers look nice but better split between two ppl..And reverse is like a hair away from isolations, I've gotten to like just switching between forward and reverse on one petal, then doing the same for the next petal..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've been playing with the basic weave flowers for some time. It's fun to stop for more than one circle at a point if the song you're listening to it goes with it. If you're doing some athletic weave moves it's cool to hit a flower but do two circles at each of the 4 points... it kind of freezes your body for 8 "beats of the music" and then you can break into something more kinetic.

Good stuff Sir. Nx.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I've incorporated flowers into the pleasent break between some wraps and such.... take a forward flower x beats.. and then use wraps to stutter the petals back and forth before doign a reverse flower... simple yet effective...

not too mention the BTB flowers... changing up betweeen a frward reverse flower and a reverse reverse flower.. or whatever you would call it..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
rap still in the extensions, or do you pull them back to your body to wrap?

T wave

-><- Kallisti

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I guess you could do either no?

Again we stumble into one of the very many areas where I can talk the talk but can't walk the walk...

If you kept the flower extended and wrapped on the same arm, you wouldn't have to bring them back in... but if you brought it in you could wrap on the opposite arm.

I like it. Maybe one day I'll actually learn how to do it. Bah... it's much easier just to watch you guys. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
depends on my mood sometimes I'll use what the glokids call a spiral... (an airwrap that looks like a weave handcuff) sometimes I do a handcuff.. sometimes I do the flower low so that I can use my biceps and thigh at the 12,3,6,9 positions to stutter the petals.. there's tons of ways you can wrap them...and depending on wher you wrap you can keep arms as far apart as you want... well as long as your strings are long enough to wrap off something with extended arms..

my strings are kinda short comparativelyprobably about and inch or 2 past my elbow... so I don't fully externd much unless I'm doing giant stuff...

I mostly use flowers from a weave.. or from a weave like wrap combo... not really up near the windmill or anything..

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Just played for a minute... and found that it's much easier to do 3 petals than 4 or more... (coining the word 'petals' to mean circles)... When weaving I break on my left side and do right hand at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and then back into a weave. It is possible to have a petal before that and after that... but awkward... actually, you could probably get silly if you wanted to. But I don't think it looks as good.

And I'll have to get better at my reverse flowers before I can make my wraps look clean.

But a basic move of 3 petals, handcuff, 3 rev petals and back into weave seems lovely... as well as doing a basic double bicep wrap there.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
<==== All bark, no bite.

I definitely can't do a handcuff wrap out of a flower yet. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I use hand over hand instead of palm to palm when handcuffing a flower...
I'm not sure if that might help you or not...

and the thigh/bicep double wrap works well for the 12:00 & 6:00 position to throw in a change for the double bicep wrap which is 3: & 9:

I use flowers a lot of places in my wraps now... they make for apleasant change every now and again..

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
[Nx?] Do you Still have these essays as they were really good?

I could arrage hosting elsewhere or you could post em in here?

(I Promise I'll recognise you next time redface )

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Anantnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Yes would u kindly re-host this because i wouldnt mind knowing a bit more on flowers

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol,

i gotta find my data mine, but i was also thinking of re-writing them...

its on my list...

T wave

-><- Kallisti