Forums > Social Chat > Where to find white spirit

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I just got my fire poi, and I know what kind of fuel I want. So where do I go to get it. I've tried calling about 10 stores, and I really need help. Help me please.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
It would help us if you let us know where you are.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'm in Columbus, OH. Help any?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Nope, im in Sydney Au

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
IM pretty sure that you can buy it online?If i hear of a site ill let you, anyone else?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i think what you're looking for is called "white gas" or colemans camping fuel. (same thing different name)this can be bought at some grocery stores, and all camping stores, have never seen it at a hardware store. be careful with it, it has a low flash point. i'd actually reccomend spinning poi with kero or lamp oil. it's less dangerous, and you'll get a longer burn.flavio

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Wiseguy, Welcome. I hope you've gotten some safety training before you light up. For some good fire safety guidelines, check https://fireflys.hypermart.net/safety.html
and https://www.geocities.com/firepoi.
Have fun and play safe, Diana

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
White spirit is not the same as white gas. ts a paint thinner and general handyman substance.You ca n buy it in hardware store and paint shops. hope this helps.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Frenzie, Flavio, Diana, and Garbo, Thank you for your input. I recently landed a job at a local nightclub, and that's why i needed to know so bad. But don't worry. I'm very experienced although I've never done fire. Thanks again. Your info really helps.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, I really feel compelled to add my two cents here. Please, if I sound condescending don't take it that way, I don't mean to but a few of these statements frightened me.First of all, my understanding from research is that white spirit is a type of turpentine. Not only is it extremely toxic (moreso than most fuels we use), it is far more combustible than other fire fuels and releases a noxious fume when on fire. It should *never* be used in a fire performance *especially* when indoors. Flavio brought up White Gas/Coleman fuel widely available here at Wal-Mart and other discount department stores very affordably. Also if you scan through the fuels threads on this discussion board you will find mention of Kerosene, available cheaply from gas station pumps (I know most Hess stations carry it) and Lamp Oil, also widely available at Wal-Mart type stores in the candle/lamp aisles. You might want to explore these options before lighting up.The other comment that sent red flags off in my brain was the one which stated "I'm very experience though I have never done fire."Fire swings very differently than anything else. It flows differently, is effected by (and effects) outside influences (weather,wind, crowds, staging areas) very differently. If you are used to glowsticks or practice poi then fire is usually heavier.There needs to be a greater awareness of where they are I think, than with non-fire toys.I think that no matter what experience you have with poi that fire takes a bit of acclimation...though it is wonderful!!!! I encourage you whole heartedly in your heated endeavors but implore you to explore your fuel choices, Diana mentioned looking through safety protocols and such which I agree with and I would also add to practice without your fire poi lit up and then with them lit before stepping onto a stage. The more practiced and professional you are the longer you will last as a fire performer and in general overall well being.Good luck in all your endeavors.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
from https://www.homeofpoi.com/firesafety.htmFuelMany
people use Kerosene because it is so cheap to buy. I highly recommend you DO NOT use Kerosene it is too dangerous, very toxic and messy,there are better things to use. 100% white spirit has a low combustion temp and does not smoke or smell as much as kerosene. Dry cleaning fluidcan also be used but does smoke a bit. Shellite is o.k., too, but has a higher temperature, so be careful. Remember fire looks great but does burn.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Frenzie,and others, I would like to add that no matter what we use as fuels it is toxic...some more than others. Dry Cleaning fluid and white spirits are not meant to be burned and therefore have a higher toxicity rating whether their flashpoints are low or high, and whether or not they put off smoke, there are other safety issues that must b addressed. I would like to remind people that sometimes the dealiest things have no odor at all....carbon monoxide comes to mind, which is what alot of these chemicals (especially turpentine) creates when burned.I use Kerosene for fire breathing and the worst thing to have come of it is a stomach ache (which I currently am suffering from since I coughed while I had some in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit while practicing today). It may be smokey and sooty, yes, but it isn't nearly as toxic since it was created to be burned. I recently started using Lamp Oil for breathing as well, at the suggestion of others on this board, and find it fine to work with so far. Anything I would choose as safe enough to put in my mouth I would find safe enough to swing with. I would like to mention what I was once told when exploring fuel choices...if it was never created to be set aflame then don't concider it because it hasn't been properly processed for burning. I have stuck with that theory and haven't had issues yet. The three main fuels I work with are Coleman (white gas), Kerosene and Lamp Oil, all of which have been processed and created to be used in flames with little to no noxious side effects from burning. This can not be said of cleaning fluids of any kind, or many of the other chemicals out there. Just my simple thoughts on something that is potentially deadly. With healthy wishes and regards,------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey kiddies...just thought i'd clarify a couple things...a. when i wrote earlier that they were the same thing different name, i was referring to white gas being interchangable with colemans fuel... _not_ white spirits.b. the orignal post was from the u.s. and when starting on my fuel journey many moons ago, i did _a ton_ of research, and found out that certain fuels may be the same, but called something different, depending on which country you are in. the people who run our funny little country have restrictions on what sorts of fuels are legal etc etc... and shellite is not one of them. also, people tend to mix up the high/ low flash points.. the lower the flash point the more dangerous it is (explosion wise) i think draevon wrote about this on another thread. anyway- this is not a bitchy email... so please don't take it that way, i'm sleepy and my computer eyes are burning and i just wanted to get this off before going to bed.i hope this information clears up any confusion as to what i had written earlier and some possible fuel confusion.-flavio

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I understood what you said Flavio..*sigh* us lame americans! smileHope you get caught up on sleep!

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
This message is for Pele. First of all, thank you for your concern and advise. I was just going to let you know my workout to show you the steps I'm taking on getting prepared. I have beaming poi, fire poi, and ultimate performance poi. I practice with each one for a half hour every day. I start with the ultimate performance poi since it gives me a feel of where the flames will be. Next, I move on to the fire poi(unlit). Then i practice with my beaming poi because it's the heaviest of the three, and helps me spin the fire poi faster every day. I'm not really to keen on hitting myself with fire. So I hope this letter can put you at ease a little more knowing that I'm not just going to light 'em up without proper training. Thanks for your info. Actually, thank you to everyone that has written. I'm getting all kinds of good information.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey, wise, I'm sorry to be a crank on this. I totally respect your practice regime and how much time and consideration you've put into your training. You've obviously thought that out. Understand that even though you've taken a lot of preparation, the element of fire is a totally another realm. Fire is a living thing and will change how you spin elementally. Fire is, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, inherently dangerous. The first time I lit up the combination of these things led me to stand there and look at my torches and think, "I'm supposed to spin these things! They're on FIRE!!" No lie. I'm so proud that you didn't decide to spin fire poi without seriously practicing first. My point is practicing unlit isn't the only part of being properly prepared to spin fire. Knowing your fuels, your fire safety, and practicing lit safely are all critical to your fire spinning. Diana

Tedwardmember
30 posts

Posted:
I agree with many people on this board, but I'd like to add my own suggestions here. If you're going to practice with real fire poi, try loading them with alcohol (rubbing or isopropyl) first and spin them unlit. This ill give you a feel for their full lit weight as well as the decreasing weight over the first 5 minutes. Give those a couple of runs, then light the alcohol. The flame is much cooler than white gas (you can hold the lit wick in your hand, sometimes until it burns out) and will acclimate you to the feel of it. The other nice thing about alcohol is that it won't pollute your wicks (it take 5-6 burns to get water out of them), and you can burn it in close spaces (like a living room). Remember, though, the alcohol flame is also whimpier and will go out more readily. Once you've got the hang of alcohol, go outside and try it with Kerosene (Zippo fluid or Charcoal lighter fluid). This burns hotter and longer, but not as hot as the white gas. It's also smokier...never use it indoors. Switch to white gass after you've mastered Kero, and you'll be just fine.

mbsvakGOLD Member
1 post

Posted:
Please do NOT use alcohol for a first spin, it is a very unpredictable fuel and burns far hotter than kerosine/paraffin. Unless you mean actual alcohol like whiskey, it also has the effect of drying out the wick, which is bad and wears it down quicker.
And NEVER light a fire toy in your living room!!!