MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I have lots of work to do at the moment, so obviously I'm spending more time than usual poi'ing to avoid doing it, and I was just wondering if anyone ever experiences the same frustration with *nearly* getting new moves? I've almost got a couple in the last two days, nothing overly complicated (crossover in front followed immediately by crossover behind (goes well into btb weave, btw) and 5 beat btb weave), but I haven't got them quite right yet, so I can get them going for a few swings and then it'll all go horribly wrong and I'll hit myself. I think this is where the frustration lies - I CAN get them going, but not always. mad Just wondering if anyone else finds it works like this, or can you just suddenly pick up a move and do it consistently straight off (as one of my friends managed with the btb weave - that took me hours of whacking my legs to get right!)?rant overJ

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
hey Jeph, I used to... but I found that when I was frustrated, I was fighting against your poi, not flowing with them.So I stopped trying soo hard, Leave the moves for a while and then come back and found that I could do them much betterer.Its not about fighting the poi, its about efficiency of groovement.flow, Glass

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
"efficiency of groovement" I like that!I think glass will agree with me when I say - go slow and chill! with a slow moving poi you feel a lot more where they are and where they're going and that really helps when figuring out a move. Slow is the way to go.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Actually, I don't normally swing all that fast when I'm learning (haven't since I attempted to teach a few people, who swung them around furiously and hit themselves lots). It's just that with btb moves, I find the wrist action is quite difficult to get to grips with, so I have to swing a little faster than I normally would to keep the momentum going - you can't feel where your poi are going if they're not going anywhere!Cheers for the advice anyway.Hopefully I'll get that btb 5 beat down in the next week - then I'll stick it on video for the next COL comp. wink

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Frustration? Of course! If all the moves came first time, where would the joy in nailing that move you've been practicing for ever be? Practise and more practice is the only way and really the only answer.Frustration and then the joy of absolving your frustration is a major motivator (for me, at least) to swing!ps apologes if I sound like a rambling old hippy heh heh------------------I am the God of hellfire and I bring you...

bebhinnmember
18 posts

Posted:
yeah, wow, "effieciency of groovement". Mind if i plagerise that to put on a tshirt??

...that's not flying, it's falling, with style...

bebhinnmember
18 posts

Posted:
and sorry for my heinously bad spelling

...that's not flying, it's falling, with style...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Not for using "heinously" in a sentence?

Meh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
its a bloomin marvelous expression, but credit for this one, the first time i heard it was our friendly moderator [josh] in reply to his own question in the thread:What makes some spinners sexy? 16th nov 2001 https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001784.htmlIts
quiet a good thread that one(ooh -Dom- and Cantus were in that thread as well, how time flys).Knox you rambling old hippy. You better go post on that thread.heinious, a big word, a bit like marmalade.Gravity, can't juggle with it, can't juggle without it, a bit like frustration really. hang on, no ones made any dirty comments about getting rid of frustration. we got knox, cantus and glass all staff kids in this thread, I'm sure one of us could put together some kind of weak pun about how you could work away your frustration by playing with you stick... can I try first...Latas potatasDrew_____________________________In case of emergency, break...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I have no idea what you mean Glass.

Meh