PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The subject is supposed to read "Made me Cry"...I am tired...oops! blushThis is a song I have to perform in a couple of weeks, and I am seriously concidering putting a routine to it, except that it makes me cry. The story is heartbreaking and so inspiring all at the same time.I bolded up my favorite lyric that feels so personal. Anyway, I hope it moves you as it did me...."Dunnenkirk and the Gypsy"A grotesque babe was Dunnenkirk, a freak by nature's makingthe priest pronounced him devil spawn, by his own he was forsakenabandoned to a gypsy crone, never suckled by his motherthe old one fed him roots and bone, she loved him like no otherDite cizi, I'll lie near you now, dite cizi I'll lie near youthe world will know a noble soul when you have found your way through.She taught him how to read the stars, how to minister to the brokento tolerate the ways of all, and know what has been spokenHe closed her eyes the day she died, looked back to rememberthen made their hut a funeral pyre...Oh, heaven rained down embers.Dite cizi I be with you still, dite cizi I'm still with you,You'll speak the truth in common tongue though few will understand you.He lived among the townsfolk then, barefoot and misshapen,his wisdom fell on fallow ground, from him they kept their children hiddenhe left them after seven years, wearied by their hatred,Then he looked down from the highest cliff in seach of the exhaultedA caravan of tangled bones lay tented in the distanceHe heard the fates call out his name, from his soul came no resistenceThe fringe folk and the wild seed, the freak with four arms flailingwelcomed him among their score like a tincture to their ailingDite cizi be you near them now, dite cizi be you near themLet this be the work that sets their ancient gash to mendingThey asked him how to heal their fears, he answered "Face the danger.We'll build a stage up on the hill, we'll be the carnival of strangers.Spectators gaze on oddity to be consoled that form is content,but we were cast with beastly masks that we might learn the difference!"Dite cizi you lie near them now, dite cizi you lie near themThey are all they need to be to satisfy their longing.He traveled with them forty years, in his tent did they gatherTo cry, to sing, to seek his words, for he loved them like no otherLate one night when the stage was bright and the blue moon met the benttree,they heard him call to the gypsy crone, "Come find me, I am ready!"Dite cizi, go you from them now, dite cizi go you from them,Their twisted limbs are now their wings, your carnival is legend.Dite cizi come lie near me now, dite cizi come lie near me,The life you lived as Dunnenkirk is the myth you leave to history.Dite cizi I'll lie near you now, dite cizi I'll lie near you,their world did know a noble soul...who helped them find their way through.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 09 March 2002).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Wow...That made me shiver. Thank you Pele! That was just what I needed. It is good to hear a song that can touch you like that. I know where you are coming from. Regardless of the fact that I am a big boy now, there are still a few songs out there that will bring tears to my eyes when I hear the beauty of them. Cool. Thanks for being such a new and brilliant soul.------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
snif snif...those are really cool lyrics. I want to hear that song now.------------------Ambiguous

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Is that something you wrote, Pele? Or an old Irish folk tune? Either way it is very pretty. It reminds me, in a way, of the Highway Man by Loreana McKennet (I don't think that I spelled her name right, oh well rolleyes ) That song gets me really choked up on occasion, as it reminds me of one of my ex's and it's one of those songs I listen to when I want to remember her [This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 11 March 2002).][This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 11 March 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
As far as I know the song Dunnenkirk and the Gypsy is by Double Indemnity. I don't know who else may have done it.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
They're one of your Ren Faire bands. But I, being English, know nothing of such matters.

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually, Cantus, Double Indemnity (which is no more, btw) only arranged the song, they did not write it. The song dates back hundreds of years. They are one of the few groups that performs it though, all of the rest of which are also Ren bands.And I know they are a Ren band Cantus, since I know them personally! grin Since two of the members left (Tom and Gabby), they are having problems finding adequate replacements and so the remaining two members (Linda and Carl), and alternating guest performers, are now under the band name "Empty Hats", and are due to have a new cd out this summer. As a result, however, this song is not in their stage show anymore. When I submit a video to Malcolm, I have permission to use the song "Raggle Taggle Gypsy" from their cd "Cows in the Castle" so that Malcolm doesn't have to worry about dubbing music over for me!Why wouldn't you know such things? You are not isolated and the Faires there are just a popular as here, though not as frequent....By now you must've figured out Sickpuppy, I did not write it. The Highwayman is also based on a traditional as are most of Loreena McKennitt's songs. I adore her music and dance to it frequently. ALong those lines to is Blackmore's Night. I encourage all who enjoy Loreena or Ren/Traditional Music to check it out.I posted it here though most especially for that one lyric about creating the circus because man finds content and comfort in form. *shiver*------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I was talking to Puppy, Pele, not you. I answered his question. I gave him the name of a band that had done a version of it so he could perhaps download a copy of it.I don't think "Ren Faires" are just as popular here at all. Historical Reinactments maybe - I know of a few but only because my brother is in a reinactment society - but those are few and far between.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I'm a bit afraid of the Ren fare folk. They get rather creepy at times (present company excluded, of course, Pele). So even though we have one here every summer, I go only seldom. Plus I'm usually broke and it's really hard to tear myself away from the sword tents.I do, however, enjoy a lot of British folk music, espeacially bagpipe, so I may check out this Double Indemnity.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
A certain pretty girl from California warned me of Ren people. So I am a tad wary of them. But as we don't have them round here (despite what some people seem to think) I wont have to be too wary until I come to America...

Meh