Forums > Help! > dv camera help !?!?!

Login/Join to Participate

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
lo , was wondering if any of our resident video experts could help me a bit? Just got a JVC Digital Video Cam, n got my fire wire card in yesterday..Installed the card, but the capture drivers don't seem to be working when I hook the camera up. I'm running windows 2000, and have tried using Premiere, Ulead VideoStudio, and Video Capturix Suite to try and capture the video. In premiere when I try to setup the capture drivers for the project(I have 2 options on that menu, Windows Video n Quicktime), it says 'unable to connect to capture driver', under general preferences, device control no device shows up. Pretty much the same error messages in the other software programs..Is there maybe something in the bios that I need to check? O, n to capture the video I plug in the firewire to the cam, turn the vid cam onto the play mode, and press play. Help!!?!?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
what cmera modle is it?

have u tied pinicle, ist hit but its fool proof, and works well as a control piece to see if ur cam works!

Step (el-nombrie)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
lo, i'll reply here instead of the pm smile

I also have a JVC miniDV cam (GRD20EK i think), and couldn't get it to work in premiere 5.1 RT at all. I found quite a lot of discussion online about just how [censored] 5.1RT is compared to 6.x versions for video capture. It can also only open type2 avis, which are huge. I ripped the contents of my camera to avi type 2 using another program, and a 60 min dv tape took up about 20gb. Premiere then wouldn't open it. In the end I just used windows movie maker. Movie maker can export (although on a 2ghz/512mb machine it takes an hour) what it captures to an avi-dv file, but of course premiere can't open this, so you then need to wait another hour whilst another program like radvideo tools converts it.

I've also tried it with pinnacle, but my install cd is at my parent's house and i no longer have it installed. What model of camcorder do you have?

1,148 posts

Posted:
Hmm, sorry premiere didn't work for ya..It's a JVC GR-D70US..I've since tried downloading some jvc proprietary crap JLIP, still no luck..Have a friend here in town that does this all the time, lemme see if he'll let me download premiere 6 from him to see if it's better, does pinnacle has a trial version I could try out??

thnx beerchug

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i don't think there is a trial version, but it comes free with firewire cards, so you'd be a mug to pay whatever they charge for it. I found one of my housemates has premiere 6, but it's on an install cd which only works in his vaio laptop frown

1,148 posts

Posted:
found a trial version off download.com, dling it now..My firewire card came w ULead Video Studio, which don't capture squat either redface If I find a copy I'll let you know

Ars Pyronomica

1,148 posts

Posted:
hmm, no luck there either..maybe it's the motherboard or firewire card..USB transfer of stills works, so I'm fairly positive it's not the camera ubbcrying

Ars Pyronomica

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
check the length of your dv cable. The spec is 4.5 metres max, but my camera seems to not work with more than 2. It's an arse, cause I have an audigy platinum ex card with breakout box on my desk with loads of connnectors on inc firewire, but i can't use it cause my camera gets upset at the length from the back of the PC frown

1,148 posts

Posted:
bout 4 ft or so..Think I should mebbe hook up the power supply on the fire wire card? Manual says you don't need it unless you're going to have more than 2 connections, but mebbe?

Ars Pyronomica

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
power supply on firewire card? don't have one of those on either of mine. Give it a go