DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Hey there, I've recently visited the Burning Man website, and through looking at the photo gallery I've fallen in love. I want to go so badly!
However, I live in atlantic Canada, which is a far cry from Nevada and getting there would prove difficult. So, unfortunately, until I get a car and a crap load of money I probably wont be able to go for ages.
Since I'm still fascinated by it, are there any interesting or amazing stories that past burners would like to share? I'd love to hear them!

P*L*U*R

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
haven't been but heard lots of amazing stories. i'm hoping to go this year...

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
i went last year and am planning to go this year. i am very excited because this year i hope to spin right before the burn.

there are lots of amazing stories, but you might find a good variety more easily on the eplaya message board on the burningman website.

i am happy to share so PM me if you like ... actually, i wrote an article on my virgin experience and it can be found at https://tommywhitetie.com/Essays_KA_StrangeLand.asp

ubblove ubbrollsmile ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I've been. It was amazing. I'm going this summer.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I to really want to go to burning man

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I think it would be absolutely amazing to start a HOP camp... I'm already making plans to go and I'd love to go with a buncha HOP persons. I haven't gone yet.

https://www.danadelight.com/
a photographer, family friend, and Black Rock Ranger. Great photographs.

Shall we get a group together? Yummy!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Burrning man Is an Amazing Place! A full-on City is built up from the ground in seven days, then distroyed in two wonderful nights. ubblove There is so much planning and prep for this festival its mind boggling. I love the art cars, and visiting all of the Camps. The camps are all very unique! I mean there is everything from Kill Barbie kamp to Boob pressing camp and spanking camp. There seems to be no real rules there. And everyone LOVES FIRE!!
I must say though, I was a bit bumbed that I didn't see as many Great fire dancers as I thought I would. I hope every one comes out this summer, it will be a blast!

I would Love to be a part of a HOP Camp for next summer. I think it would be a great time! I was part of the El Circo Camp last year, saw Sage go-off in their dome while sitting back stage. (Great Show by all!) The Night life Goes Off there with hundreds of Night clubs surrounding the esplanade. Djs from all over the world bump till dawn, then the Sun comes up! I have never seen such beautiful sunrises before. I can't wait to go home!

I suggest going for all 7 days. Bring Lots of Water!! Goggles of some kind and something to cover your face. You never know when you'll be in the middle of some crazy wind storm! wink

See ya there!
((
))
((
))
~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'd love to go but I'll have to decide closer to the time.

*Runs off to investigate plane ticket prices from Asia to Nevada*

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Things like this actually happen * jaw drops *

I've heard about burningman and seen a few pics but this is the stuff I dream about except houses on beaches with a magic fantasy land once you go through the basement door of course if my commitment to poi stays true than so will my commitment to travelling with my poi

*Dreams*

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dunno... I had the opportunity to go last year. It was either London/Sheffield/Edinburgh or BurningMan. All of my burningman buddies told me I made the right call. And they didn't even get to meet all the UK folk.

I've got the same predicament coming up for this summer... and I'm leaning towards England again. biggrin

It it kinda funny since my entire firespinning circle in New York is all 100% burningman. I'm the only old school spinner in New York who's never been.

I still think I'd have more fun at EJC. But that's just me. beerchug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
The events forum is silly.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I've been going to Burningman since 2000. I'm sorry some of you havn't seen some of the great fire spinners out there. Recently due to the popularity of poi the market is flooded. Don't get me wrong, I think this is great and I have contributed greatly to the growing numbers of new poiers. My first year, anyone who spun fire and had their stuff together got to spin in the great circle the night of the burn. There were only about 400 or so spinners then. This last year there were easily 2500 fire spinners eek at burningman and only room for 600 or so in the circle. This problem has lots of people unhappy. "why can't I be in the center circle?" The thing to remember is you can spin ANY other place at burningman. Since the man is rigged like a bomb, Burningman Officials (Crimson Rose) have to select fire people she trusts, so she has limited it to established groups only. So if you want to spin in the center circle get with a group smile. I've had the honor of being in the center circle every year since 2000, but some of my favorate burns at burningman were at reandom places with intimate audiences. I hope to meet all the HOP people that can make it. If it is at all possible for you to make it to Burningman you should it will change your life smile

PS If you do make it come by the Fire Conclave camp and say Hi beerchug

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Go
Just go.
I went this year, had an absolutely amazing time.The whole place is just full of the most intense, beautiful, crazy people you'll ever meet, no-one has any hang ups or prejudices and you're free to just be who you want to be. I never realised just how much you hold back in everyday life until I went. Fire spinners by the truck load, plenty of beginners but every now and again (more frequently if you go to the HoP gathering - I'm assuming there'll be one again this year) you come across one that just makes you go eek, and there's something to be learnt off everyone there. My spinning has improved tenfold since going, so for that reason alone, it's worth going!
I'm travellling at the moment, not going to be home until the beginning of august and will probably be in a whole world of debt by then, but I'm still going again! biggrin

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Stories, lets see... I meet my girlfrend there two years ago, last year she helped with the fire conclave camp and became a fire saftey guru. Last wednesday she lit up her poi for the first time.

My most memorable burn at burningman was in 2002, it was my brother Cory (evil twin), my frend Chris and I. I was in a bad mood due to some goings on earlier in the night. We were going to go spin at the Temple of Atonment while our frend Raven was DJ. The three of us took turns, Cory on staff and double staff, Chris using the testie (basketball sized fire ball on the end of a chain) and his fire sword, and me on poi. Burningman is so huge with so many people, but at this little burn circle everything was intimate. The crowd really liked us and the little area was packed. I went out for my turn, lit up and stopped. I took in the fire, the music, Raven using the music to push me. I took in the crowd, each wanting to see what I could do this time. I absorbed their energy which they eagerly gave me. I looked at Cory and Chris who knew something was up. Then from this little focal spot on the playa I drew in the energy of the man and his 30,000 frends. Then I started.
As I write this my hands shake. I have come close to the feeling I then experienced while juggling. Some of you may have experienced time slowing down or a sence of hyper focus, that begins to describe what happoned. I gave it everything I had. Strength, technique, flow, speed, finesse. The entire thing was one move. I worked with the music and with the crowd. Eye contact is an amazing thing. Everything was red and orange, my entire body was hot. I felt engulfed in fire and I kept pushing. As the fire slowly went out I slowed with it. I wrapped myself up in my poi doing what you call isolations. Then slowly and at the same time both poi went out.

First there was silence, then there was an explosion. The crowd went wild. As I looked into their faces, some were crying. Others had great big smiles. Then about 4 came up to me and gave me big hugs. I held them tight and I'm sure I felt like a campfire. They thanked me. Others said I was the best they had ever seen. It was quite a complement. But I had started the fire. Cory and Chris each went out spurred on by me and had similar experiences.
The one thing I have learned about burningman is if you are having a really bad night, keep at it, something great is about to happen.
Burningman is the most amazing place inthe world. There you don't live day by day, but second by second. I was out there for 10 days last year. Do what ever you can to make it there, you'll never regret it. smile

Cody Canon

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Sounds [Old link]
Gotta love that feeling hug

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
So you know what I felt. smile It was quite emotional. Do you have any burningman stories? If your like me you probably have lots, the hard part is picking one to write about wink

Cody Canon