Forums > Social Chat > middle eastern fusion music

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hey guys! long time no see. HEY put that cupcake launcher down, this is a persian rug here! plus they're really good cupcakes, let's use these carrot muffins for that.
(geez, i'm away for a month and look what the place turns into)

anyways i'm looking for good middle eastern electronic/breaks/fusion music to belly dance with. ideally there is a psychedelic/electronic band like Shpongled that does middle eastern sensual beats. anybody got any suggestions? i know about these guys, and i'm looking for more:

Cheb I sebbah
omar faruk tekbilek
quango
james asher
solace
govinda
master musicians of jujouka

okay some of those guys aren't really fusion, but... you get the idea. i'm getting desperate. about 150 of my best cd's got STOLEN and now i'm in a performer's panic!!!! anything close will do!

kiss kiss kiss

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Heya Stranger!

Don't know off the top of my head, but my boy is a progressive/psytrance DJ and I'll raid his 700 or so CD's this arvo and report back tomorrow. I know he has some really beautiful tribal beats that swing my hips like nothing else....

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ubblol what is it with dancers going out with musicians? not that i need to ask, but EVERY dancer i know is going out with a musician!!! dammit i wish i could find a girl dj to play me music all day long!!! tongue

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
it's hard work being a muse, but someone's gotta do it and who better than a dancer?! smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Hi Arashi,
How's about Oojami? Saw them live a bit ago and it was very energizing fusion. And there's a small British band called Kamel Nitrate you might like.

Do you have a fat broadband connection and Soulseek that we can hook up, or shall I burn a CD and get it sent over to you. I believe Glass owes you some postage! Don't know what you did to him, but he's not been the same since he got back. Something about tattooed buttocks of something! eek

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
bit of nithin sawhney perhaps? (could be nitin)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well i bet it's all belly dancer chrysta bell's fault. his eyes popped out of his head when he saw her just like the smiley eek and i don't think he ever put them back in, they are following her around by rolling about on the ground evil dead style
godess-alicious

(her boyfriend is getting freaked out.)(and he didn't even get to meet sage or zarah, ubblove he would've just glued his ass to my forehead and never left)

bluecat what the heck are you talking about? are you trying to mirror my confusing poispeak? confused biggrin

anyways, dom, i'll take you up on that offer!!! but first let me see if i can get my resident nerd to tell me if he knows about this whatsit-hoodingy soulsucker computer stuff you speak of and save us all some cash. ship over cutie british gilrls instead!!! wink i really am strapped for music! man, i hate it when my music gets stolen. tools, money, drugs, wives, i can handle, but music?!?! mad

thanks for the help, guys!
taps his foot waiting for flashfire man, what am i paying that girl so much for?!?!?!

kiss kiss

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Pharoah's Daughter do some amazing stuff based around north african sounds.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
you know like when you can't see the forest for the trees? Well, that's what my boyfriend's music collection is like... too many choices! I asked him some advice but he wasn't much help rolleyes: He suggested maybe Etnoscope.... I also recommend Nitin Sawhney.

The Hive (now known as The Baggsmen) also have a really beautiful track towards the end of one of their CD's with an Israeli dude singing. very very nice.... and very conducive to bellydance.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! If anything else comes to mind I'll let you know. kiss

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well thanks for trying in any case, hon. that is if you don't mind being called "hon" tongue outside of a greasy spoon cafe... plus you just made me understand what bluecat is saying- oh it's a band!!! i thought he was trying to tell me why glass is acting weird. like, "he's nice, and saw a knee" in kitty faery jibberish. i thought maybe glass had carried back some form of mad cat disease from hanging out with me biggrin

i'll definitely be checking out those other suggestions... thanks for your help!! by all means keep them coming!! really what i want would be heavy in the tabla and dunebek, with some psychedelic mood, and some fat bass carrying it all from beneath. other ethnic instruments and singing would just be icing on the cake. musashii, where are you?!?!

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
hmm, heard this guy yanni mite have summat ubbtickled

seriously tho, lemme see..There's a armenian band I lost their cd so I can't spell their name rite, would be good for that..Levon Minnassian & friends, Beyond Borders is the name of the cd, just found it online. Very seductive, smooth, no 4X4 but it could be added easily, is what I do if a track doesn't have enough for me..

Ahmet Kaya too, dunno cd names, just have a song or two..

I haven't really been listening to any new music at all lately, damn RIAA mad all me moneys been goin into the new car, I need a hookup on some music frown Lemme bug my bro bout turnin on his ftp srv, he's got gigs upon gigs of psy, I'll look around eh wink

ps - wish you couldve made it up for nye eh, charlie said you guys had a gig at the last moment?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
dude don't even tell me you know charlie!!! GET THE FUGGOUTTA HERE!!!! ubbrollsmile ubblolsmall world, though, huh? wait, are you in the fire dancing crew he was telling me about somebody collaborating with?!?!
yeah, had to be here, I had a BLAST hanging out with glass here in austin at a nye show and the afterparties, plus we had a show on the 27th that i basically produced and performed [a bit] in. i was tired rolleyes. i'll bet that atlanta party kicked serious butt, though. give all those atlanta kids my love, i mean it!! tell them i love them all!! hello from arashi and tyler!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
spank for misunderstanding perfectly simple feline.

waveR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

1,148 posts

Posted:
skunky introduced me to him before nye, n yesss the party was verry NICE ubbangel Pyroteque? Is my crew, but it mite be fahrenheit too, *shrug* They were the only atl spinners I met(all others weren't local I think?), but I'll tellem you said wazza wink

Glass eh? man that was kept under wraps spank, I woulda loved to drop by n see the mastah glass in person, now that I'm mobile again..

peace

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

1,148 posts

Posted:
ey, what about this song? just ran across it, would work for what youre looking for

Eat Static - The First Revelation - The secret of the 13 Crystal Skulls comp

Ars Pyronomica

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile
eat static ubblove
haven't heard that album...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Pangia

Gypsy Caravan (along the tribal lines)

Domba (along the tribal lines)

...in fact Solace has a new compilation cd which includes Pangia, Gypsy Caravan and Domba, along with many tasty others.

Cheb Mami (commonly known for some of his work with Sting, but does alot more underground stuff)

Nikodemas. Love Nikodemas. A real staple if you ask me.

In fact Nikodemas is on the compilation cd Arabesque. It is a compilation of world electronica and it seriously kicks some arse...in fact if you have issues finding it I can prolly burn some for you. Some bad a$$ dj's and groups on that.

Natacha Atlas. Who can not include her on the list? "Spell on you" is so seductively there...yummy!

Vadalna. Very ethereal sounding to be sure.

Thievery Corporation has many scrumptious songs fit to shimmy and taqsim to.

How's that for a start? wink
Hugs and sorry to hear your tunes were taken...it would make me nuts if it happened to me!
hug
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
"i ain't lyyyyin... la la la la lyyyyin..." "hup, hup, hup" yeah, that bass line gets my booty chakra opened up!!
pele i had a dream that i got to see you belly dance last night!

1,148 posts

Posted:
second the Thievery Corporation..Richest Man in Babylon is still one of my all time fav cd's

Ars Pyronomica

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yeah there's one thievery corp indian style remix that was SWEEEEEET but it was one that got stolen!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
VAS ~Garden of Souls , is very good Indian/ trancy music.
Also I heard a lot of Hamsa Lila last summer, Good Indian beats.

Indian with dots, not featers.

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Arashi, a friend here in Houston spins for us a lot when we have our Friday night get togethers. He often plays Middle Eastern variants, some of it trancy, some of it traditional, some of it...well...all of it pretty great for spinning.

I don't know the names of the stuff off hand, but I may be able to put him in touch with you.

Send me a PM if you're interested. AT the very least, I'm sure I Could get him to burn a mix, and drop the CD off to you next time I'm in Austin....which, until this month, had been nearly every weekend.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Thievery Corporation ubblove

Err sorry Arashi, I'm no help.... rolleyes

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

pele i had a dream that i got to see you belly dance last night!

I planned that...how do you like my new dream jumping super power? wink
Wasn't the backbend I did pretty nifty? And oh those undulations...

I am going to be in Tempe, Arizona in February teaching a Burlesque workshop at the Domba studio. If you can figure a way to get over there maybe I will make your dream come true...and I might even dance for you too! wink tongue

Hugs to you love! hug kiss

Pele

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ever heard of "Aicha" by Khaled? It's not a terribly fast song. In fact, it sort of has an R&B-ish pop beat to it, but it should work OK for belly dancing.

I have the MP3 if you like.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
You do workshops, eh, Pele? Hmmm...I may actually know someone here in Houston who might want to talk to you....

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
Pele in texas! woot woot!

so, the nerd i keep in the basement closet set up some kind of "ftp" thingy for "mp3s" i guess. does this look right? i have no idea how to do this, so if not, let me know.

{This has been edited out but i can pm you with the address}

anything you send should be "high bit," so i can play it over our extremely bassy sound system and it'll still sound ok.

thank you guys so much for this! musashi and dom, especially, if i can get up to speed on this techy stuff, let's start trading music!!! i know glass had never heard a lot of the shpongled side project stuff that is indespensably wonderful, and that's just the tip of the iceberg!!!
EDITED_BY: arashi (1074204195)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I'll leave my computer uploading a few things whilst I toddle off to the land of nod. Hope it's the kinda thing you like, so let me know.
And haven't got everything high quality, but will try smile

Sphongle side project - which one? Do tell!

1,148 posts

Posted:
werd...might want to go back and erase that adress from the msg so you don't get swamped by ppl you don't want to be swamped by, just a thot wink got it saved here

Ars Pyronomica

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

You do workshops, eh, Pele? Hmmm...I may actually know someone here in Houston who might want to talk to you....

I do. I have something like 16 different workshops that I offer, or something like that, from clowning, to dance forms (Burlesque, Belly, Can-Can, Hula, etc) to Sideshow Arts.
If you want I can forward you my workshop listing to give to this person or you can tell him/her to email me at Pele@Pyromorph.com
My rates are reasonable and I am perfectly happy staying at someone's house instead of a hotel, so it keeps costs down.

Arashi..oh, imagine the fun we would have! wink

Also have you tried non-ethnic music? For example get creative. We have used music from Dimitri from Paris, Moulin Rouge, etc. It is all about bringing what you have together!

Pele

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oops my nerd said to not post up the addy. so i can pm it to anyone...

shpongled side projects:
celtic cross
eclipse
and i swear there's another but the tequila i drank last night won't let me remember.

Page: