Forums > Help! > SLR camera's - What to buy / advice on second hand

Login/Join to Participate

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I was at a friends on saterday and he was showing me some pictures he took while on his travels. I resolved to buy an affordable SLR post haste for fear I make my gods angry.

I've been looking at second hand ones and there appears to be a fairly good market for them.

2nd hand ones from the shop are

Nikon F65 eur275 (£190 STERLING)

Nikon F600 eur250 (£173 STERLING)

I seem to keep finding that the Cannon EOS 300 is a fantastic camera, from what I've read. I'm hoping to pay about Eur250 (£173) for whatever I get and it's Eur350 (£240) new on special offer in the shop.

When I looked on buyandsell.ie I found that the eos 300 hundred can be bought for about 275 euro (£190) second hand. There's even a Nikon f50 for 195 euro (£135)

I'm a little nervous about buying one though because

1) The shop offers 6 month warrantee on 2nd hand cameras.

2) I've no idea what to look for on a second hand camera.

I presume the lens should be in good nick confused Can it be risky buying second hand?

Can camera's generally be fixed if they fail?

Thanks in advance.

J

smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
right now i just got a Canon EOS 300V for my birthday .. and my dad got a bloody good deal on it, he paid RO (omani rials) 165.300, which converts to around £232 ..

now this includes a camera bag, strap (1 for bag and one for camera)a 28-90mm lens and a 75-300mm lens amd the camera of course biggrin

now i could speak to my dad about ways for you to send money over and i can buy and send it to you (probably via DHL, cos i wouldnt trust the postal system with it..it would probably go 'missing') so just let me know biggrin

ps..im not sure how long the deal is on for, and i dont wanna rush you, but the soon the better yeah!?!

good luck biggrin

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the offer Narr. I agree that is a truely groovy deal, especially with that lense cool

Unfortunetly, that stretches me waaay over budget by about 100 euros. Congrats on the camera apparently it's well groovy. I'll let you know if I get one and maybe you can give me a hand if I end up with one.

Thanks anyway. smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
no worries mate biggrin

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
From what I know buying second cameras is generally ok. Because of how SLRs work you can look through the camera and lens to spot any flaws as they'll show directly. And take a roll of film to test it straight after buying it. Mechanisms can get a bit jammed, affecting shutter speed, so that's something to look out for. Buying online would mean you can’t check all this out before hand.

So, probably best bet is to buy from a camera shop as they'll have looked out for flaws and normally give a guarantee.

Also as a top tit – always buy a UV filter for each lens you have. These don’t affect colour, so have no real effect. However if you accidentally scratch the filter it’s only a few quid to replace, as opposed to a lens which is somewhat more.

Happy snapping smile

As an aside I’ve got a Cannon EOS 300V too. Love it!

greenfyregirlSILVER Member
journeyman
55 posts

Posted:
Good advice from Dom there! You should be fine buying from a camera shop, i've got a Nikon FG and its a lovely camera. SLR cameras are usually quite solid, just buy a good make nd ul be fine... Nikon, Canon, Pentax or Fujii. biggrin