Forums > Help! > Slow-spinning Glowing Poi

Login/Join to Participate

roryborymember
7 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know of a type of glowing poi that has some weight to it. I'm interested in finding something that doesn't spin as fast as glowsticks.

I really like the feel of the tennis ball poi with the tails. I realize that wind resistence is partly responsible. I think I could settle for a happy medium between them and glowsticks. I tried taping ribbon to glowsticks and it helped immensely, but it isn't visually attractive.

Do you think that the beaming poi sold on this site is what I'm looking for?

Thanks for any advice. It is much appreciated. smile

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Here's instructions on how to make LED glowing sock poi:-

https://www.geocities.com/combatunicycle/hammerhead/hammerhead.html

They spin a lot slower than glowsticks.

The reason they look effective is because the LEDs point upwards and the light is diffused along the length of the sock; so, if you find the idea of buying and wiring up LEDs a little intimidating, you can get the same effect by substituting poundshop rear red bicycle lights secured with rubber bands so they point upwards.

Quote:

Do you think that the beaming poi sold on this site is what I'm looking for?

Beamers are nice, I've got a set myself, but they're hard and heavy and shouldn't be used unless you've got a fair bit of experience- do a search to check the many posts on peoples (sometimes painful) experiences.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
www.juggleart.com sells Electroglo, which are a bit lighter than the average fire wick, but not by much. They have more than enough weight behind them for EXTREMELY slow spinning.

And remember, the longer your chains/strings, the slower you can spin.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Beaming poi are nice but might be more hardcore than what youre looking for. They're really heavy (compared to glowsticks or tailed poi) and quite dangerous. Not too great for wraps. They are very durable and nice quality, however.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, I've been looking for a comparison of all of the glowing poi out there. I need something that looks good enought to perform on stage with yet is light enough to do wraps with.

Could anyone who has any electrical glowing poi give me the run down of what the pros and cons of theirs are? In particular... are there any that are light enough to do butterfly wraps with?

Thanks!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I don't think the problem with wraps are how heavy they are... I can do butterfly wraps with any of the fire wicks sold on HOP, which are much heavier than any glowing poi I've ever heard of. It's more to do with the shape of the poi.

I've spun with Electroglos, which are about as heavy as 3 glowsticks, maybe 4. Wraps are easy enough, but since the tubes are so long the force on your arms is relatively great, you'll have to push back a bit more than you would with glowsticks. I've also spun a single aerotech proball (could only get my hands on one of 'em) and it was quite nice, absolutely great for wrapping, even though they're quite heavy.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmmm... I've got no problem spinning fire wicks or glowsticks... but I found aerotechs to be way to hard and heavy to really get a good wrist snap back. Plus they hurt like hell when you hit your face. frown

Any other users out there?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
You can wrap beamers really no problem. Its just that they hurt sometimes if you screw up a bit. Ive even done spirals with them. Just takes a bit of practice.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

You can wrap beamers really no problem. Its just that they hurt sometimes if you screw up a bit. Ive even done spirals with them. Just takes a bit of practice.

You are wrong and/or lying. wink Watch the Texas Turtles Video and then show me someone who can do ONE of those wraps on a techno beat (140bpm)... It can't be done. No. biggrin

Most of my wrap combos are done to the beat... 2 wraps a second. I'm not bragging by any means, that's slow by raver standards and I'm not even that good. But there's no way you can do alternating butterfly wraps with beaming poi to a techno beat. At least I'D break my wrists.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I do glowsticks sometimes when I'm bored with my socks and too lazy for fire. I've thought about weaving up some stainless chainmaille sleeves for glowsticks to give them a little extra weight..

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Hiya,

www.firetoys.co.uk sell glow poi. They sell a glow stick model and one with glo balls on the end. They're also a really good site, ive just ordered a custom built staff from them and my poi are custom made from them as well. (Doesnt mean i dont love HoP! biggrin )

I havent tried out firetoys' glo poi but if their previous stuff is anything to go on i may have to order some before i go to my next festival!

peace

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
i just hang two glowstick instead of one. and lengthen my strings. that makes 'em heavy enough.

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
I have firetoys glowpoi and i love them. and when spitfire saw them she decided she wanted a pair. So they get our recommendation. Cheap too, at £40 the set, which is about half the price of aerotech single colours I think.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
From the title of the thread (slow-spinning Glowing Poi), I don't think we're talking about 140+ beats per minute eek

Beamers are fabulous for slow, medative poi because they're so heavy. On the other hand, because of their weight and density there is a high chance of pain and bruising should you hit yourself or anyone else. Go with them only if you hit yourself very infrequently - and don't try new things with them until you've mastered them with softer poi. It's not a really good idea to take these with you to large events in enclosed venues as it's likely someone will fall into one of your poi.

Electroglows were my first glowing poi. The handles are a stiff, wide double-loop, and aren't very comfortable even after a lot of use. They're lighted by a single LED on the end of each, thus aren't incredibly bright. The tubes make wrapping a little awkward at first, but ok after you find the point where you need to come in contact.

If tennis balls are the most comfortable to you, I would suggest attaching something very light and bright to the end of the a tennis ball - like a photon or a rav'n. *wanders off to construct something* ubbrollsmile

peace ubblove weavesmiley

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

general spinmember
52 posts

Posted:
two or three glowstix taped together, one freshly cracked the other/s old ones, doesnt interrupt the light is fully adjustable and is nice and low tech.

Non-Https Image Link

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Quote:

You are wrong and/or lying. Watch the Texas Turtles Video and then show me someone who can do ONE of those wraps on a techno beat (140bpm)... It can't be done. No.

Hey, I never said I could do em fast. Wraps are entirely possible with beamers, just not in the fast-paced techno sense.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Twirly Bevmember
4 posts

Posted:
I have just bought these beaming balls from this site and recommend you try them. I have to agree with kittyns advice, that is to progress with these once you have mastered a new move with soft poi and even then to warm up with the softies first. It may sound daft but consider wearing head protection to start with as concussion isn't nice.
Also you need the right place to practise with these as they have the potential to harm others or land on your mum's best china... at the moment I take mine to a secluded copse where I can learn with no distraction. Somehow these poi are very confidence building, you might get the feeling if you can handle these then fire will be a doddle. Happy twirling

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

...It may sound daft but consider wearing head protection to start with as concussion isn't nice...

Also, bubble wrap secured with rubber bands will provide protection without adversly affecting the glow.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
I've got a set of beamers and they do really hurt and bruise, especially on the head and shins (which really took a battering whilst getting used to it)! However I did get them very early on which I was regularly adviced against so its my fault!

But they are nice and heavy, perfect for slow spinning and the lights are awesome biggrin

roryborymember
7 posts

Posted:
Hey. Well, after considering everyone's comments and after a lot of web searching I went off and got something different, poi made with those glowing hackysacks. They're not as slow as sock poi, but slower than glowsticks. They don't hurt. They seperate out into circles of alternating red, green and blue lights, which looks pretty cool. The only issue is they like to shut themselves off occasionally on impact, which seems like a design flaw for something that's actually meant to be kicked. Oh well. I'm quite happy with them. They were $25USD so I can justify getting something fancier later. smile

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Did you actually buy the hacky sacks as poi already assembled? Or did you just buy the hacky sacks and make them into poi yourself? If you bought them already assembled, what company did you order them from?

Are they the same "Rainbow Glow" hacky sacks like on www.houseofrave.com and the one's Malcolm was selling here for a while (does he still have them?)?

On a personal note, I like the beamers in the sense that they are big heavy poi that can be spun in the same style as fire poi, but I don't like the way they glow. They look too much like a handful of little lights, not one big ball of light. If the ball itself had a more diffusive outer shell, maybe the whole ball would light up more, though I don't know how practical that would be. I can't really justify spending the money on poi that don't look right to me ya know?
EDITED_BY: Big Andy (1077993904)

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
according to the hop shop,there are going to be new improved rainbow hacky sacks available next month-ish...... smile

roryborymember
7 posts

Posted:
I got them already assembled from a place called Myriahs.com. It is a US company. New and improved sounds good to me. I will watch for those.

Oh, the ones at houseofrave appear to be the same thing, yes. I am lazy and like having someone attach the straps for me, though. smile
EDITED_BY: rorybory (1078193641)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I was just about to suggest the rainbow hackies and then I read your post! rolleyes

I bought the rainbow hacky sacks from here and just put them in my socks. Lovely to wrap and spin slowly with and the light still shines through ok. When the new improved ones appear I'll deff be buying some more alghouth I'm not sure in what manner they are being improved confused. And at less that £5 each they're a bargain!

Let's relight this forum ubblove