tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
The basic idea behind this trick is to catch a vertically spinning staff on your foot, turn it horizontal for one full rotation, then turn it back vertical and flick it back into your hand.

To do this you need to be able to do a few things...
1) Balance on one leg for a long time
2) Foot stalls and general foot balancage. If you can catch and throw a horizontal staff without making it spin, it makes learning the transition easier.
3) Foot helicopters. ie, continuous throwing and catching a horizontally spinning staff on your foot. Anticlockwise for the purpose of this description, because it’s easier on the right foot.
4) Foot fishtails are useful, but not essential. If you can do them, you’ll already know most of the foot positions needed

I’ll start by describing the slightly easier half-Mullen.

Start with the staff spinning forwards in the right hand, side plane.
Let the staff roll off your right hand, and stall it on your right foot. Aim to catch it so the centre of the staff lands on your ankle.
Twist your right foot a little to the left, and the staff should rotate horizontally, balanced on your foot. At the same time turn your hips to the left.
When the staff has rotated 180’ and you’ve turned a little, the staff should be against your right calf. Kick the staff up with your right foot, and it should crank around your calf, and come up spinning vertically. Finish turning to the left so you’ve turned your body 180’ , and the staff should be spinning forwards, in your right hand.

Variations: Don’t turn all the way around, and catch in the left hand instead, or do it wall plane, so you start with the staff behind you, horizontal spin to the side, kick up in front. (or kick in such a way that it jumps up behind you again into your right hand

A Mullen is this same move, but with a foot helicopter in to get the full 360’ horizontal spin. There’s two ways of doing the foot helicopter kick, one where the staff is kicked up to spin over the thigh (easier), and one where you let the staff stay under your thigh and whip your foot around to catch it (much harder…)

A swap-Mullen is where you catch the foot heli on your other foot, which means if you start wall plane with the staff behind you in your right hand, you come out facing the other way, with the staff behind you in your left hand.

The hard part to make look good is the plane change… It’s easy enough to stall the staff and then spin it sideways, but it’s much nicer to catch it earlier and use your toes to start the horizontal spin, so there’s no pause.

Next, there’s the Inverted Mullen entry, so called because you enter the move from an inverted foot stall, and have to use the hard helicopter kick, which I reckon ought to be called inverted as well.

First of all: An inverted stall is a stall under a body part, such as your arm or leg. I’m using inverted to mean that the staff passes between the controlling hand (or foot) and your body (or the ground), like in inverted poi moves.
To do one on your hand, stall an anticlockwise spinning staff on your right hand, then turn the staff 180’ anticlockwise, while remaining in contact with the staff. You have to reach over and around the staff to do it. You could also do one by rolling forwards over your bicep and stalling on your hand, but the description of the first one is needed, because you have to do that on your foot. You end up with the staff horizontal, between your legs, pointing front to back.

Right, so an inverted Mullen entry starts like that, then to get it spinning horizontally, I currently just manoeuvre the staff against my left leg and push, but the smooth toe curl is getting there… Once it’s spinning horizontally, you need to do an inverted helicopter kick, and catch on the same foot. After that, it’s back to the normal Mullen exit. I’m sure an inverted exit is possible, but inverted kick to inverted catch is not going to be easy.

You ought to be able to get an inverted horizontal spin to roll up onto your ankle and uninvert, like you can with inverted fishtails on your wrist, and then do the normal heli kick, for super sickness. Then you could catch and invert, rather than trying to catch inverted. Hmmm.

So basicly, the Mullen is the entry and the exit, and there’s room to insert other horizontal moves in the heli. A palm spin looks good… Head spin’d look better. Swap Mullen with a headspin. Mmm…

Have fun,

--Ben

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
eek did i mension eek or maybe eek that is hardcore stuff

Quote:

Let the staff roll off your right hand, and stall it on your right foot. Aim to catch it so the centre of the staff lands on your ankle.

Twist your right foot a little to the left, and the staff should rotate horizontally, balanced on your foot. At the same time turn your hips to the left.

so u catch the staff on the right side of ur body? and where are ur toes pointing when u catch the staff ? like do u actually catch it on ur ankle or is that where the center of the staff would be if u rolled the staff round? and foot fishtails how on earth do u go about learning them?

any chance of a video?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

1: where you catch it. on your toes, on the right side, just past the centre.

2: twist your foot to the left

3: when it has turned 180', push up with yur foot.

As for foot fishtails, i learned them because i was trying to turn around with the staff rolling over my foot... reverse first, although forwards is actually easier... forwards came from inverted foot stalls that wanted to carry on... it's not to hard to push the staff over that bit extra. (relativly). Forwards, you need to catch the staff with the centre on the far side of the staff.

And i want to do a video... but i need a cameraman...

--Ben

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
thanx heaps for the pic i now understand the move ........ i think. i shall be spending much time trying to learn this one i think. come to adelaide ill film for ya smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Named after Rodney Mullen?

He's a bit awesome... ubblove

this stuff sounds like it would
a) look very very cool
b) cane your ankles when you're learning it

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Indeed named after Rodney Mullen... I saw this video where he does nothing but juggle the board with his feet and balance on the ends and edges and thought 'hmm can i do that with a staff?' the answer is no, but it's getting there... It looks cool in the one in ten where it works, the other nine it looks like i drop the stick and get a lucky bounce...
It dosn't cane your ankles so much as your calves, balancing one one leg and waving the other around takes it out of you quite quickly.

--Ben

benjyBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
did you got the idea from playing hakkie sac??
i really suck at that
but i cant wait till summer again to trie it out

Think for yourself Question authority

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
*bump*

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
After the detailed description I still dont get it. How can you spin the stick with a 360 rotation from the right foot and then kick it up again without getting smacked by the stick? Could we get a visual?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
by kicking it up into the air for the second half of the spin

Written by: tentical

3) Foot helicopters. ie, continuous throwing and catching a horizontally spinning staff on your foot. Anticlockwise for the purpose of this description, because it’s easier on the right foot.

A Mullen is this same move, but with a foot helicopter in to get the full 360’ horizontal spin.
 Written by:

i agree with ben, this is hardcore eek

T wave

p.s. look at me posting in staff moves!

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
so do you have to skip over the staff with your other foot? i.e stand on your right foot while the staff (still rotating on the right) swings under your left foot? or am i completly off.

sounds like fun

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
either kick it up above your leg so it spins round (not too hard), or give it a little lift and whip your foot over the staff as it rotates and catch on the foot again (hard)

T wave

staffs and feet go nice together smile

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti