Forums > Social Chat > synthetic hair and fire

Login/Join to Participate

cedemember
42 posts

Posted:
i'm not sure where to put this, or if it has been talked about in length before, but i was wondering if there are any seious risks spinning fire if you have synthetic hair extensions...i just got some tonight, and i don't want to start my head on fire

posi vegan straight edge

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I would say it is a risk as even normal hair of any length is prone to setting alight.

Of all the minor injuries with beginners to fire spinning, setting their hair on fire seems to be the most common.

Also, synthetic materials generally are pretty bad when alight i.e. they melt, drip molten plastic and give off toxic fumes.

However, setting hair alight is easily avoided by wearing a hat and ensuring all the hair is tucked in.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
well i had extensions myself though i never spun with them. however depending on what typr you have, they may be a little more resistant to catching on fire. i know mine could light somewhat easily but burned out quickly and didn't burn much. i knew someone who had extensions and spun poi professionally, and she never had any problems with them. but i'd be careful if i were you. wrap them in a scarf or cloth or something, cause you never know what could happen, especially if you have them really long.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Surface area might have something to do with it too; loose hairs will be fair easier to catch, if you plait it tightly and wet it for additional security you should be fine. A hoody would be a good investment if you're really worried.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

cedemember
42 posts

Posted:
yeah after steaming them this morning to seal them up i have a feeling they would just melt really fast rather the cach on fire

posi vegan straight edge

cedemember
42 posts

Posted:
i usuay spin with my hair wrapped up anyway, but these are dang lond and big so it is gonna be a chore, but oh well it's worth it to take a bit extra time to set up i guess

posi vegan straight edge

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i had my hair braided with synthetic fibres and spun with it loads. They went down to my waist so were pretty long and i didnt have any problems. I tied them all up and put them inside my top, looked a bit odd but i never caught them on fire biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yeah just tuck them inside your clothes to be safe...or into a hat. So long as they aren't too exposed they won't singe or anything should you make a mistake.

Let's relight this forum ubblove