Forums > Help! > Firespinning Resume/CV?

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Anyone have a Firespinning Resume or CV online? Even if it's not yours. I'd just love to see what one looks like (with the hopes of creating my own.)

I guess juggling/performance stuff would work too...

Thanks! biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, let me piggyback that question...

How should *I* put together my resume? I've seen some quality performing resumes and they're pretty darn solid... clearly done by people who perform as a full time job. How do I construct a resume for something other than my full time job? Or should I just alter my 'real' resume and show that I'm a college educated teacher who also performs fire?

I'm thinking of what to give to club owners and I thought that a resume type deal would be ideal... but maybe I'm wrong... Any ideas from the semi-pros?

I know that I probably don't NEED a resume since most gigs are word of mouth but I thought it'd be better to have one just to hand to someone.

Aspiring semi-pro fire spinner who will certainly keep his day job,
NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
my guess is it would look similar to an actor's or artist's, i.e., a list of where and when you have performed as well as a video demo. but that's just a guess.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
It might be a better idea to have a promo videoof yourself, and maybe a covering letter explaining what you do.

it might depend on the club, but lots of places don't actually kmow what spinning is, or it might help you get across your own personal style and show how you're different.

Peace. XxX

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I've only ever even lit my poi once, so don't pay much attention to my advice(!), but I think Pounce is on the right track.. a portfolio-type thing sounds good. Pictures of costumes/ toy ranges, photos of past gigs and a 'taster' video, maybe.

I expect you're really waiting to hear from Pele/ TePooka type peoples though, so good luck with it! smile I'm just posting 'cos I'm trying to avoid doing any work, as per usual. rolleyes

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I expect you're really waiting to hear from Pele/ TePooka type peoples though,

This makes me giggle! I'm a type of people! LOL

Well, Promo Packets (such as video, cover letter, pamphlet) are not really necessary if you are getting work through word of mouth. Those are to get the door open, which the referral has already done in this case. What will solidify you getting in during the interview is the Portfolio....a resume, a photo page, possibly any certs you have (first aide, fire training, etc.), Insurance papers and possibly a reference sheet or letter of recommendation (if you have them). This is step two, after the promo packets.

Now, the resume.....

A performing resume has height, weight, eye color etc. on it, in addition to where's and when of performance. Training generally brings up the rear on it. What I think you are looking for is something in the middle. A conventional resume adapted to encompass your performances.

So, for your experiences you would have columns: Where, When, Event title, and Presentation type etc..... Start with the most recent and go back 6 months or 8 -10 listings, whichever comes first. If you did work for a private party, who hired you is in the first column and that it was a private party goes in the event title column.

Ex....

Experience

Pulse Night Club 12-31-03 New Years Party Freestyle Presentation

Cafe Allegro 10-31-03 Very Scary Halloween Choreographed Show

For Training, well this is a little different.

Included on this should be any formal training you have had in the performance arts, and since you are dealing with fire you will need to include any red cross/first aid training you have had and any training regarding fire fighting, pyrotechnics, etc.

For this it is What, With Whom and When.

Ex:

Training

Red Cross Basic First Aid Certification Inst. Bob Brown 10-15-03 to 04

Red Cross CPR Inst. Steve Pullen 10-20-03 to 04

C-212 Class B Pyrotechnics Course Inst. Zane Adams 5-15-02

***edit note: HoP took out my nicely lined columns. These should be all lined up in clean cloumns, just to let you know!

Then there is the

Additional Information

Volunteer Fire Fighter Webster Fire Department Webster, N.Y.

Captian John Barone 585-555-5555

Insurance: Clowns of the U.S. $3,000,000 General Liability

Have any COPIES of certificates to back this up in a file with you.

A Photo Page is a collage layout of some of the clearest and best photo's of your work. It should show you, your costumes and your fire...not just a bunch of trails with a blur in the middle. On this should also be your stage name and your contact info.

Just like with all other resumes, your pertinent info goes on the top.

Because you are working with referrals and not agencies and such, the photo sheet, resume and support of the resume should work. You don't have to worry about letters of recommendation and such. However, you might want to get a reference list together of people who will vouche for you, just in case the person will want some idea of who you have worked for in the past.

Anyway...hope this helps and doesn't hurt your brain too much.

P~

EDITED_BY: Pele (1074099068)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol(i'm a type ubbloco)

pretty much what pele said...

put in your teaching experience as well(as in spinning teaching Mr Lab-boy)

biggrinR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ubblol(i'm a type ubbloco)

Which type are you? I am Sweet and Sour! wink

Pele

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Pele and Bluecat, flirty in the same room...

THAT'S a scary thought. ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Forget the resume. Get a pimp.

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

if you are flids pimp, and i become yours mr NyC what does that make my relationship to flid...?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It means you get to get to change your name to flid's john bluecat!
Whose your pimp bc? My old whipping boy is all wore out. wink At very least, how much are you charging for NYC?

Speaking of NYC...I am going to be down there on the weekend of Feb 6th to catch a friend in Philly and for an audition, so if you wanna meet up for lunch or somethin', let me know lovie!

Pele

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
flid's john? eek eek

surely more 'flids don'???

$1453/half hour with my main man.

and $25 for an hour with NYC wink

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
half an hour with flid: $1453
an hour with NYC: $25

getting away without paying for either: priceless

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
you can be like my nz/scottish pimp if you like, but i'll need a resume/cv first, preferably with dvd tongue

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually Pele, I've been offering to pay clubs $200 to let me perform. They usually want to pay me $150 but I insist on paying them. When they ask why I say "I just want to piss off my friend Pele". They usually look confused but take the money nonetheless.

wink

Actually, my problem is that I DON'T want steady work. I just want a gig every now and then... And don't have time to work to get them either... and, not surprisingly, they aren't falling into my lap. I could deal with once a week.. but would do more if I believed in the cause.

I just wanted to have a resume ready in case there was a gig I really wanted. And I really should perform every now and then... just to keep me hungry to learn more poi and get better.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]