BigBilliemember
59 posts

Posted:
Hello!
I'm desperate for some rope darts and i have no idea where to find them!! I've looked on the internet with no luck. Just wondering if they are illegal in England or something. Does anyone know?? Or could anybody supply me with some? Very grateful to any help!!! Love to all!
Billy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
erm, first off *tut tut* for starting a new thread when there's a rope dart thread just below this. smile

But - www.gwangung.co.uk is who I use for my Martial Art supplies.
Oh, and please - get instruction (whether lessons, videos etc), if you're going to start doing neck wraps or anything where you could potentially strangle yourself or twat yourself in the head with the dart - which REALLY hurts

Then get yourself over to the other rope dart thread and join the fun biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ah, sorry I thought you'd posted in the "Other Toys" section which has a Rope Dart thread - my bad ubbangel

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
As to their legality - it's a weapon so don't bring it out in public or flash it about.
Don't throw it at people in parks either or you'll upset people smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Don't throw it at people in parks either or you'll upset people

ubblol

Just bad manners isn't it.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Make one!

I made my practice rope dart out of about 13 ft of very soft nylon rope and a tennis ball, its a good weight coz its got a huge knot in it and feels great when wrapping.

Tis easy and very very cheap!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

BigBilliemember
59 posts

Posted:
Do you know where could i get a 13ft nylon rope from?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
A hardware store? ubbtickled
You can also get good, though more expensive roap from outdoor adventure stores and shops that sell sailing supplies... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i got mine from a hardware store/outdoor adventure store. 13ft came to about £5 so not really expensive.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

BigBilliemember
59 posts

Posted:
Got a proper one from the website that Durbs gave me! (THANKS DURBS!)
I'll need a practice one too tho so i dont spike myself!!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
More than welcome smile

I found the dart quite a nice weight to work with, but there's still enough of a point on it to couse serious damage. I was playing with mine once, a throw went a bit off and just from falling from 9 foot in the air it embedded itself scarily deep in the ground...

If you're good at tying knots, it's no problem to un-do the dart and tie on something softer and less pointy, although you do want something quite weighty - I found a tennis ball waaay to light... Just make sure when you put the dart back on you tie it up REALLY good.

Oh, and it's great fun to set a target up and practice your aim with it biggrin

Try www.wushucentral.com for some videos of some killer (and some not so good) videos - it's a little slow to download though.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BigBilliemember
59 posts

Posted:
I may use a tennis ball and stuff it with something to weigh it down a bit!
Woah! Nice website! I'm trying to learn a butterfly twist at the mo, so i'm sure there will be some helpful videos on there!
So, do you do Wushu?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
No not at all - I do a proper Martial Art, not a performance art (Tiger-Crane Combination Shaolin Kung Fu) - but there are some nice videos on there.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BigBilliemember
59 posts

Posted:
OOohhhh..... easy.. "performance" art it may be, but a martial art it is!
I'd like to learn shaolin Kung Fu but i cant find a school near me! You know a site which has a search for local schools?? Are the schools Bujinkan?
I live In Windsor. How about you?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'm just outside Guildford, Surrey.

My club is www.namyang.co.uk (Awful website by the way wink ), they have a few different branches around Southern England.

As for local clubs just try a search for "Kung Fu Windsor" or whatever, go along to a few and see which you like best.

And I'm refraining from entering an arguement about Wushu - don't even get me started on the performing "Monks" smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BigBilliemember
59 posts

Posted:
oh c'mon! you have to respect the discipline and fitness of the guys! and coming from someone studying shaolin kung fu you have to admit that that gets a little bit 'performancy' (sp?) sometimes with their performing "monks"
trying to go see them sometime soon coz theyre in london i think. or maybe thats cirque du soleil?! i dunno.
got a Dim Mak vcd arriving sometime. but Dim Mak looks a bit dodgy to me...
you know anything about it?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Nope, first time I've heard of it was on GwanGung with those VCD's...

I was actually quite suprised as how un-showy our discipline is. When I first learnt our staff form I was a bit "Is that it? No spinny roundy bits?" as it literally is: Smack in the stomach, smack on the head, smack in the throat (or something similair)
Even our Tan Tow (Broadsword) is more on the practical side of things.

Oh, and just because we're Shaolin, doesn't mean we're showy. The orignal Shaolin monks would be crying in their graves if they saw what their name was being put to nowadays.

Shaolin (or perhaps more accurately - Shao Lin) is the name of the temple from which our art originated from, along with pretty much all the other forms of Kung Fu (if you go back far enough) Our style is just soooooooooooooo far from what you see the Monks doing in their show.
I'm not saying I don't respect how hard what they're doing is, I'm just saying in terms of a martial art i.e. a form of combat which it claims to be - it's rubbish.

But I'm not going to be drawn into a discussion on this wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi