OniTorastranger
13 posts

Posted:
I've been searching for a good place to spin, fire or glow, and coming up empty handed. I tried in the courtyard of my apartment complex, but there's to much light for effect, and I ahve to kill the music at 10pm...

I want a place where interested people CAN watch if they want. I know there are raves, and clubs where people swing glowstick in shoelaces, but it's hardly what I'm looking for... All the local parks close at 10pm around here, and are to well light before that... I can't spin indoors, as the ceiling is to low...

Where have ya'll found a good place to practice, and even put on shows for a few friends?

-=Dave

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
The beach is a good place, if you live near a beach. Parks around here seem not to be well lit, but yes, many of them close at 10:00 or so so you'll have to do earlier sessions. How about an empty parking lot, or a backyard or front yard of your own house or a friend's house? The beauty of poi is that all you need is some space to spin, walk or drive around town, I'm sure you'll find a place to go.

OniTorastranger
13 posts

Posted:
lol I'm land locked. ^_-

EVERY parking lot I've come across is well lit, or I'd get kicked out by the authorities quickly.

All the streets 'round here are to well lit, so, the frontyard don' work... No one would see it in the back yard... >.<

-=Dave

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
the only time i got to spin outside was my backyard but that was in the day and with dead glowstix i sue for practice, but the only time i ever got to spin around here with lit glowstix ( outdoors) was when our whole street blacked so i cracked some glowstgix and started spinning to find my way:)
or once at a park cus mine has a tennis court which closes at 10 but tha park is opne until 11 so actually regardless of the time we go at night

it must be green

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
We spin weekly outside in Colorado, but it's REALLY cold lately (uh, mid-winter). We are looking for a warehouse or studio to practice in... but we have had good luck in the parks here. Once I called the director of the Recreation Dept. and she was helpful, we also have an Arts Council here that offered us their parking lot. The Fire Dept. doesn't mind, we called before we got into fire to let them know we have spotters, towels, extinguishers on hand. I've also spun fire on streetcorners outside the bars, but this is kind of a small town! Had to unplug the X-mas lights from the trees...

You might check if there's a park or public land a little bit out of town, for less light pollution. Good Luck!

take the schneak-tip

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
firestation!!!! thats so smart i never thought of that!

it must be green

OniTorastranger
13 posts

Posted:
LMAO!

-=Dave

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
I've found that parking lots are really good. They also provide enough ambient light so that the photos look wicked. If there's a school nearby, you would probably be able to use their lot

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Staff Manmember
15 posts

Posted:
why not try ur garden?

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
you have the potential to set something on fire i guess....*shrug*

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
ii'm also looking for a spot to spin cus i'm teaching a person i met on HOP in montreal and we need a location confused
theirs no beaches here and its cold outside lol + theirs snow! ubbcrying

it must be green

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
im lucky cos
*points arm in westerly direction* I got a field their i can use
*points arm in easterly direction* I got another field there I can use
*points arm in a north direction* I got a beach down there I can use
AND there all 2 mins from the house......maybe even less than that....ive never counted how it takes to walk there... ubbangel

try carparks? or have you anyfields you can use? or just your garden?

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Yo u live in pheonix........dont you have flat roofs out there in Az???
i know some people have set up their roof almost like a deck..............why dont you just do that......or go to the desert........like outside of the city........its been a while but if i remember right isnt there some clifs or something like that near pheonix??? why dont you go somewhere out there? umm

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
tha solves his problem but i dont have a spot here either. montreal= island and theor nothign here umm

it must be green

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Hrm... Maybe move out of Canada? ubblol

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
montreal is tthe best place in the world:)) calm in the day and busy with their night life:)) so ma y festivals and frnech canadians love to party beerchug
rocks here peace

it must be green

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
i just saw that taking lives movie and have determined that canada is no longer the second happiest place on earth (next to disney world of course)

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

flamingfrogmember
19 posts

Posted:
Every time i go to the park by my house the security folk come after about two minutes ( I think there is a little old lady snitch nearby)
All ya gottaq do is talk really confidently to police/security and bluff them out - they are full of bravado and usually rely on intimidation to move fire performers, but they really can be quite easily persuaded ( especially if one fo the dancers is a girl dressed ONLY in clay....but that is another story) to let one spin
Example conversation:
Security Guard: 'Do you have permission from the council to do that here?'
Jacko: 'Permission specifically for now or permission in general?'
SG: 'Uh...in general'
J: 'Well we do a lot of work for the council, performing at events, plus we add a lot to the culture of the city. We often practise here and in some of other parks. We are part of a professional fire troupe, and as such know what we are doing etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam'
SG: 'Hmmm....uh....okay then have fun and watch out for the trees'
I don't how much more fascist your guards are in the states/canada, ours are pretty sweet, like i said just overwhelm them with info and confidence and they will become unsure and leave you to it.
For inside spinning we have an acitivities hall (complete with wall-length mirrors!) at the university that we can use free-of-charge....have you tried asking around community groups/churches/art centres etc.?

A paradise found is a paradise lost
-E.O. Wilson

My father had a profound influence on me. He was a lunatic
-Spike Milligan

rootzmember

Posted:
i agree peace

RoOtZ

Phellanmember
74 posts

Posted:
Argh, we got shut down again last night at the park. Funny how the cops know we are always down there but never ask us to leave unless someone runs a complaint in about us spinning fire. Heck they come and find out what we're doing if they don't normally work Friday nights. . . rolleyes

It's started already and we've just begun our spinning season. . ugh.

Time to talk to a city councilor perhaps . . .last time they said to get approval we'd need insurance--upwards of $1000 a month. . ubbtickled Cause 5-6 spinners can afford that. . ..

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
$1000 a month? In the US, Clowns of America offers insurance for under $200 a year per person. Might wanna check that out, see if there's anything similar for your country.