Forums > Social Chat > YAY!... and some other stuff

Login/Join to Participate

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
This might seem a bit childish and corny to those of you who are experienced poi users [most of you], but considering this is my first day lemme have my rant. I couldn't wait for my poi to arrive [thanx malcom] so i went out and bought 2 camping glowsticks. Earlier this week i've tried doing each half of the 3-beat [ok ok ok, so it's not the reverse behind the back 5 beat weave, but so what lol] with a yo-yo [had to improvise ^__^]. Right after dinner tonight, i went outside in my front yard and attempted to piece the 2 parts together. After 30 minutes and tons of shin bruises, something just clicked and now i can do the 3-beat weave! [yay]. I'm soooo pumped right now, and i had to let all my energy out somewhere, and this board seemed like just the right place wink. Apart from my nailing my first trick, i know that glowsticks and poi handle quite differently. Approximately how much heavier is a "comet type" [streamers] poi than glowsticks? Cuz' those glowsticks scream by prettttty FAST [they also sting like a mofo]. Well that's all i have to say. thanx for listening to me! ------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hehe i know how good it feels when you manage to do a new move smile esp. the weave!i am using mostly glowsticks myself but i use two at the end of each string since i find that one is waaay too light! Comet Poi have a fairly good weight but require some extra effort to spin them fast because of the tails which slow them down a lot...you will never get the speeds you can get using glowsticks but as Malcolm so correctly pointed out style is more important than high-speed; on the other hand stylish high-speed swinging is another thing! grin Emmmmm i would say that you shouldn't be bothered about speed at all, at least in the beginning...speed only comes into play when you want to swing to really fast music and then if you are able to spin fast you are pretty much sure that you will be able to swing in rhythm no matter what the next song will be... winkhappy swinging,Simos

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
Hey! Now like you i've recently started and was wondering if you could do me the favour of explaining move for move how you did the 3 beat weave. i'm not doing well there at all and the lessons on it don't make much sence to me. thanks.

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
It's so hard to explain things in words, but i'll try my best. For me it only took a day to learn the 3-beat weave [i think partly by accident, but then again experimentation is half the fun ^__^]. Do what the lessons on this site tell you first. Get the OVER/UNDER/OUT pattern for both hands, one hand at a time. The biggest thing to remember is that your wrists *CROSS*. I don't know if it will help you NE, but try ~WiThOuT~ the poi. Just practice the hand and wrist motions. If you've done the OVER/UNDER/OUT drill long enough, your hands should do it instinctivly without much thought. Now pick up your poi, and do the the first beat [which is OVER], and right when your about halfway through the first beat, start the 2nd beat with your other hand [under]. Err... i'm not sure if i explained that right.. it just sorta came to me. Just remember that your hands *CROSS* every beat [cuz they go OVER and UNDER, the two hands switch]. Hope that helps NE.------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

HOP Newsletter