Forums > Social Chat > new zealand its sites and twirlers

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i shall be heading over to new zealand with a few friends at the start of feb for the 12th new zealand, International Juggling Festival and i was wondering what the must see things in new zealand are the festivals on the north island so most likely we will be spending most of our trip there. also we would love to meet as many of you lovely firey ppl as possible so if u would like to meet up for a spin id love to hear from u

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I hate to say it, but the "must see" parts of NZ are mostly in the South Island...

Or am I opening up a can of worms now... wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
biggrin ooo Yay!! yup id say that alot of the things that would be worth seeing would be in the south island, (altho i might be biest ubblol) i dont no if yourv ever herd of the wearable arts or not, but the home of that is in nelson, WOW (World of Wearable art) and that would diffanitly be worth seeing. Queenstown is grate too. its the main touirst spot id say. what do you think charles? it really depents on what you want to see. ill help ya if i can.

and also. iv asked my boss for time off work, and i should be able to get some off. im trying to find someone to go up with, so ill let you no. but i would really love to meet up with you guys (and anyother hoppers biggrin) so keep me posted. i think you hve my email address

happy twirling and maybe ill see you soon! biggrin weavesmiley

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

ToXiC_staffmember
14 posts

Posted:
Hello, I live in the South Island of New Zealand and cant wait until the the buskers festival hits my hometown of Christchurch, it runs from the 15th to the 20th of Janurary. so you might be here a little late to check it out in christchurch..
Its great to see how many people get out to see all the buskers, I dont belive I've seen Cashel Mall any more packed with people than at last years buskers festival.
All I have to do is con my workmate to swap for the morning shifts that week.. I think, I'll have to call out a few old owed favors...
In any case I would bee stoked to meet up with you and your crew if you were to grace my city, Ill tell you its looking pretty good here right now..
peace..

We live in the land of the long white cloud..
and in the city with the giant cone..
-someone on RDU

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
well from the sounds of things it looks like we are going to have to go to the south island, the only fire meets i could find in the meet other section where

Christchurch
Fire Night during summer is Tuesdays next to the river near the "brige of rememberance" Cashel St.

Christchurch
juggling evening
tuesday night
hagley community college
6:30pm-8:30pm

There is a crew of us down here who play with fire
It's every wednesday @ the Clubs and Socs building 6-8pm, we practise indoors, then go out and burn!
At the moment it ranges from beginners to pros, about 30- 40 people! More the better. If you like fire, then you'll love this!
Dunedin

are there any other meets that ppl go to? surely there must be some in the north island, charles?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

spherespinnermember
38 posts

Posted:
Heya Ben smile

Yes... south island is the place to be...!!! Just booked my flights though up to the N.Island for the NZ Juggling Festival.. how exciting ubbrollsmile

A few things to clear up... the World Busking Festival runs for 10 days.. from the 15-25th of Jan.. and is well worth a lookin if u can make it.

Firenight is Tuesday night.. still down at the Bridge of Remembrance.. starting from around 10pm onwards... numbers vary but there is usually a few people at least! weavesmiley

The Juggling Club is not currently running.. I know this as I am the one who will be helping to run it this year... ubbangel

There are tonnes of other things to see and do in Christchurch.. well worth a visit...

Let me know when/if u make it to town and we'll go for a spin

Ciao
wave

smile
Start chasing dreams.... one day u may catch them..

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
sadly i dont think i shall be able to make it to the world busking festival frown so in the tradition of leaving things to the last minute we are still formulating plans but at the moment it looks like we will be arriving on the 2nd ish in the north island and then going to the festival which finishes on the 8th then heading down to the south island and staying there till the 12th ..... well so go the plan so far and we shall definately stop in at nelson and christchurch to say hello smile

preambledmember
53 posts

Posted:
you might want to check out Victoria Park on Tuesday nights in Auckland. I haven't been in a while but there's normally a group of fire folk down there (as long as it isn't raining.)

They generally congregate near the motorway bridge that traverses part of the park.. shouldn't be too hard to see the fire in the dark.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

I'll be flying into Auckland on the 11th of February, which I think is a monday, which'll give me a day to get over any jet lag before going to meet some spinny/juggly type people on the tuesday biggrin

I still havn't worked out what I'm going to be doing for the rest of the time I'm going to be in the country, but I've got three weeks, anyone have any suggestions on how to spend it?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
go and hang out with my nana. ubbtickled

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, for spinning, there is fire night on tuesday nights (anywhere from 0 - 100 peoples).

There's also an alternative spinning session tuesdays and wednesday at Tahaki reserve (bottom of Mt Eden), Steve keel runs those and they usually start around 7:30ish.

Juggling clubs - there only seems to be one juggling club that im aware of, The Auckland Juggling and Unicycling club, meets on fridays in Onehunga (www.juggle.co.nz)

Sorry, should have supplied this info earlier

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

OzE_QTBRONZE Member
64 posts

Posted:
Hi all smile
Seems like everyone is going to be in NZ at that time! I'm heading over on the 30th of January (Arrive at some ungodly hour of the morning of the 31st) and travelling around both islands until the 15th of February. I can't wait! smile We're going to try to see as much as we possibly can in the short time so it's going to be a busy trip. If anyone would like to meet up message me or email me at oze_qt at yahoo.com.
Keep Smiling smile
OzE_QT

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone wavehello

I'm an Irish spinner (not a very good one though) currently travelling in NZ, and i was wondering, does this Tuesday night fire thing in Christchurch still happen? Because that happens to be where i am.... smile

Any info welcome, along with any about other meets/resources/generally interesting stuff in New Zealand

thankx

Helen

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Hi to all
Im gonna be inNew Zealand from the 15th Feb 2005.
Is the Juggling festiaval on next year for the Auckland Festival, would be great to meet up with any HOP-ers there.
Also what is the up-to-date situation with the other meets around the country?
Give me a Pm Rosmerta - if you'll still be around next year
Peas out

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Wyrd SisterBRONZE Member
53 posts

Posted:
If you're in Wellington on the night of the Full Moon come along to Zebos garden bar for the drumming circle. Lotsa drums, lotsa fire players smile from poi's sticks and the occasional breather It's just a great place to network. A few of us try and meet up regularly and have a play (we've found some great places round Wellington) depending on how busy life gets. Of course with xmas on the way it's getting kinda insane!! Still, by the time you get here Ben xmas will be long gone. Next Drumming is Saturday night, but I'll be posting them on here anyway, and any other events smile
Hope all is good with everyone

What we play is life. -- Louis Armstrong
Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff. -- Frank Zappa

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
wave
i'm here now.... til around june/july biggrin
i was thinking of going to the juggling festival... need to sort things out tho,

if anyone wants to meet just let me know - i'm normally based in auckland, but right now i have made myself homeless and am travelling around, i should have lots of time after xmas... i'll prob be in the south island working for a while

take care all
hug

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I'll be in arriving in Aukland on the 25th Feb next year for the festival - hopefully performing there, but deffinately helping out a NZ group thats there, then I hope to be working with them and travelling about. Deffinately wanna do the Juggling Festy in March- do get in touch as I'd love to meet as many Kewi's as possible - especially HOP-ers

Im leaving on Tuesday for a stopover in Thailand and then down through Malaysia and Indonesia.

Getting all excited!! ubbrollsmile

- Hope to see you out on that open road hug

Peas out 2 all

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Hi Natalie wavehello How are you keeping? I'll be at the juggling convention as well, look forward to seeing you again there, as well as any other HOPpers who are going! I'll be passing through Wellington on my way up, so Wyrd Sister, i'll definately check that out. I narrowly missed the full moon when i was in Wellington before, although i wanted to catch it.

Anyway, take care all!

Helen

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
wave alls good thanks,
back in auckland for a few days again having just got back from fiji! feel very lucky!
hows it all going for you?
take care
hopefully see you soon
xxx

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yo FireNix you just walked past the window of this internet place :crazy:

My girlfriend and I arrive in Aukland on the 13th of December. We're well up for meeting as many people as possible. We should have our own wheels soonish.

Busker fest and juggly one sound like definates.

Anyone have any further details of drum circles in New Zealand or drummers I can contact?

Speak to you close to the time Ben. smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

clairesbear82SILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Hey guys, if anyone's coming through queenstown on thier South Island travels send me a message as I would love to meet up for a spin. I'll be here till at least April....
smile

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
yellow, you're in qt you say? I've been here for 10 years and come across very few spinners, give me a pm with your number and I'll be in touch

Simon

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

KihitaraSILVER Member
Red Damselfly
14 posts

Posted:
The juggling festival is on from the 19th to the 22nd March. https://festival.juggle.org.nz/
Anyone going?

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The "Must-See" bit of South Island is a lovely little home in Christchurch called Home of Poi. There's a lawn there that needs mowing.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

LunabelleBRONZE Member
Fire Spinner and Hooper Extraordinairre!
1 post

Posted:
Hello!

this is an old thread, but I just moved to Christchurch and wanted to find some fire jams to hop in on! Also thinking about having a few on the beach if there is interest?

I'm also willing to teach beginning poi and hoop! I'd LOVE to organize some hoopjams on the beach for SURE.

I'm in New Brighton!

Britt PBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Hey,
I'd be keen to take you up on the lessons, I used to do a bit but not for years! Keen as to get into it again

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Lunabella, you should ring Chris at HoP (check the contact us section for the Phone no). There was/is a regular jam at Brighton but there are problems with it on the beach - Chris can run you through all the in's and out's.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I've just moved to Nelson. Are there any gatherings here?

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Spazzystranger
4 posts

Posted:
does anyone know of anything that happens in hamilton? im interested but not sure where to look

ninedy5SILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
IM IN NEW TARANAKI..ANYONE KEEN ON FIRE PLAY WITH US ?

jason monsall

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi Jason. Where in NZ is New Taranaki ?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Page: