yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
greetings pple

dont know if there is any prerequisite to coming up with a new topic, like number of posts, or authority in the poi field or whatever, but i guess i might as well give it a shot myself. biggrin

this concerns the social pattern around spinning, that being that it seems to be a very social thing. I wander through the forums and come to realize that so many of you people already seem to know each other, teach each other etc. i checked out the shok video site, and now i see that there are like teams, or clans, like its a crew thing. i dig the idea, when i started spinning, i thought to myself, now this is a hip activity that is one of the best excuses to make mad friends, meet mad people, and be socially mad.

well, that never seemed to take with me. i spin alone, usually with no audience, and when there is an audience its a small one (one exception), they seem to appreciate, but in no way does it help me get closer to them or meet other spinners or what. i learnt all my moves off this site and thanks to the vids i watched that are interspersed here and there in the www, practise alone in my livingroom or outside, and few people have actually seen me spin, most of which are my immidiate family, and they dig, but only for like five minutes, after which they dont bother anymore.

i'm rambling, but my point is that i seem to be a lone spinner, i never learnt anything from anyone in person, never had any poi discussions that lasted longer than a minute. this could be due to my personality, but i'm not a hermit or a social cripple, it could be due to my surroundings, but i rave and club and dance like mad, i smoke and drink and take interesting things, so it just seems odd.

its winter here in paris, and it hurts my fingers to spin, but i do it anyway. i met a few spinners through a french site, and they were fun, but didn't revolutionize my vision of the poi community.

i'm just wondering if to some its a very gregarious activity, like a sport, something you talk about and feel part of, or if its more of a personal hobby, like meditation, its yours and if people like to watch, so be it. it is a performance art, but i just imagined its sort of like a worldwide club you have to be in to understand. i could have been wrong. but i could have been right and just not been in the right places.

gimme your thoughts, if you have a few to spare smile

pax

yannicus weavesmiley

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
To my misfortune i am also a lone spinner ubbcrying There is nobody within an hour of where i live that takes spinning seriously or even knows what the word poi means except for some of my friends. I also learned everything i know from mostly this websites and videos i downloaded. Now that i am a member of this site i am hoping to spin with anyone i can meet up with.

If neone in or around New York State ever wants to get togther and spin please PM me and i'll find a way to meet up with you. smile Personally i am tired of being a Lone Spinner

Peace, Love, Circles

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i thinkit's a case of being right and having been in the wrong place at the right times or the other way round ubbloco

i think the crew or team thing is pretty much resticted to the US... most people when they talk of eg 'the london crew' just mean anyone who happens to turn up at their regular spin, but there it seems to have taken on a bit more of a closed group meaning(no bad thing) like a skate crew.
tho where there are performance groups the 'crew' idea holds a bit too i suppose...

faut que tu prenne l'eurostar et aller visiter londres... wink(sp?)

i don't know that many addicted french poiists so it could just be where you are rather than who you are.

as for the gregarious or personal thing...

for most people its both i think.. very much so.

anyway, come to the EJC this year in lille and you'll meet a million and one of us rolleyes

R
biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
its really sad that you have no one to spin with! frown i got into it because i had seen other people doing it and had ago. we used to go to a friend of mine, lukes, and drink and be merry, and then luke cracked out his fire staff and another one of my friends got out her poi. after that i was hooked. we used to get together most weekends either saturday or friday and play with our toys. i didnt get one for quite a while so i would always just play with one of the ones that belonged to someone else. i kept finding out that all these people that id knowen for ages there into fire like i was! there ended up being quite a few of us. its funny coz around here it isnt really a well knowen, i keep meeting these new people then finding out later that they do fire staff or fire poi. crazy. every full moon in my town theres a Druming/Fire party down at the beach too which helps.

i couldnt really say that any of us where like a crew or anything tho. when i started there was a group of us there where all friends, and then one by one we all took up fire dancing. most of us all do it as a hobbie, but a few of my friends do preform in gigs every now and then.

but yeah i no what you mean. i think maybe it all just depends on where you are and when your there. Youll find someone soon that well spin with you! ubbidea maybe you could get out there and just do it round and about round there. on the streets on in parks or something. that way you might meet someone that dose it aswell or maybe you could get someone else to start it? stop ever now and then and get your friends to talk to you so that pple see you as more approchable or something? i dont no. but your find someone biggrin! if you ever come over to new zealand let me know! and if i ever go to paris ill call ya and we can spin weavesmiley

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, Cassandra lives in Paris. You ought to meet her!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
thanks for the feedback

i think bluecat hit it on the nail when he said that its both a gregarious and a personal thing. when you practise you're in your world, trying to force your hands to do things they couldn't, and its very personal. but as well as being a peace of mind activity, it is performance which entails an audience of at least one.

i guess i just have to get out more. once its warm, parks and bridges will be claimed as fire-tainted territory. i know a bunch of spinners, but its not like we get together to go do what we do, its more like we hang out, when one has a set of poi we get to it. i do foto sessions once in a while which is awsome, because its spinning is ephemeral, once the fuel is gone its out, but the picture freezes the artistry in a way the eye never does. I must get a video camera.

anyway, there is no reason to think i'm sad because of this, ah Luuuuv to spin, alone or not, its just when people watch its more of a dance than a simple session, i get more into it, go with the music (if there is any) etc... and when other good spinners are about, their opinion has so much more value. one thing i luv about twirlers is that it is in no way competitive

mr cat, i'll see about the EJC, sounds awsome and its not too far, and for all those Londoners, it is my homeland too, and i'll be back one day!!!

till then, spin on, and may Hades keep your wicks ever lighted!

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Heh... bluecat you're right and you're wrong. smile

You're right about it being both a solitary yet social activity. But you're wrong about the London Crew not being a crew. The London Crew is such a huge crew that there are subcrews within it, each subcrew being larger than most other crews in the planet. The point is, it's tough playing in a vacuum. My heart goes out to those who don't have a crew. My crew was dead for a while but I found a winter space for us and now we meet on a monthly basis. It ain't no London, but it's as good as New York will has ever been in the winter.

I've just had trouble maintaining any consistancy within the New York crew. It seems that once anyone gets decent, they drop off the face of the earth for 6 months.

But I do have a crew, which is way way better than solitude.

I think we all have to make the best of what poi community we're given. I've found it's difficult, but not impossible to improve it a little bit.

And don't ever compare yourself to London. They don't know how good they've got it. ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Well, Cassandra lives in Paris. You ought to meet her!

Dude, where the heck have you been?! Cass hasn't been in Paris, nor posted much here in over a year. frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
hahah ils sont trop marrants:))

u guys with thos 3000 posts know everyone its normal!!!

MAIS T'INQUITE quand chui aller a paris, j'en ai vu plein spinner avec du feu

god dam fire spiners own paris.

but i also starte alone for about a year now and i havent ever practiced with any one who was ever at my superiro level lol ubbloco but try to get gigs and go spin at raves, bug events, places whrere there are ppl= audience= attention directed towartds u:)) ( for more than 5 min if your good) but while u practice alone ask yorsel fif waht your doing looks cool to other people cus u cant wlasy keep taking the home of poi tricks on free lessons, youll outgrow them soon and move on to making your own whihc is relatively much more satisfying

et cheque yannick, moi j'vai dans un college francais et on a un talent show qui s'en vient chui sur t'en a un aussi moi j'dis "vas-y"

BTW: ANYONE FROM MONTREAL HERE?
EDITED_BY: joulz (1073251021)

it must be green

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
i spin alone too and i live in london!!but i've got young kids who at present my life kind of revolves around,though i'm beginning to taste independance ........i could do with spinning with others,just for the inspiration and flow of ideas...i too like spinning alone for its meditative side.
joulz-i was born in montreal and i wish i was there,it sounds cool!

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
I'm totally with you; the closest spinner to me is half an hour away, and we only meet up maybe two times a month. Apart from him, it's an hour-and-a-half drive to only else spinny... *sigh*

Ah, well. All you gotta do is keep on spinning and hope you'll make more spinny-people of your own... Creating your own little troupe... And then using them to take over the world!

*evil laughter trails off as she glances about sheepishly*

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you... frown

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i think the crew or team thing is pretty much resticted to the US... most people when they talk of eg 'the london crew' just mean anyone who happens to turn up at their regular spin, but there it seems to have taken on a bit more of a closed group meaning(no bad thing) like a skate crew.
tho where there are performance groups the 'crew' idea holds a bit too i suppose...
biggrin

I can understand why you get that perception of US spinners being very crew-oriented, but please don't consider that to be the norm. I know many people that spin here in the US that have no crew, that either spin alone, spin socially, or spin whenever and with whoever they can. The 'crew' aspect of things is very closely related to the rave scene, but even then, I go to raves, I spin poi, I'm not in a crew. I know dozens of people in the same exact boat as me, not specific to poi, but to all of the spinning arts as well.

As for the topic: I know how you feel. For the first 5 months of learning poi, I was glued to my computer, watching amazing spinning from my poi idols and wishing I could have someone to teach me how to spin that were as good as them. I met a few people that spun, most just about as good as me, some much much better. (Many from a fire spinning performance troupe called Saturnalia, beautiful spinners that you guys would like, isolated weaves make my brain hurt) I eventually met some people interested in learning, and I've been teaching them ever since, and they're improving daily and can do some things much better than myself. If you can't find a spinner, MAKE a spinner!

I think you need to spin in more public places if at all possible, maybe you'd have to wait until the summer time... if you've seen Spinning in Paris, Cass is spinning in a public park with a kajillion people just staring at her. Don't you think that'd be a GREAT way to meet new people, especially people interested in spinning? Be open to meeting people, but don't think about it so hard you get frustrated you're alone. Have fun with it and you'll meet people interested in your hobby smile

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:

its funny but, the people that inspired me to start have sort of given up on the deal, and don't really seem to do it much, they evolved apparently, now took the poi part out of the game and kept the drugs and liquor.

as much as i like the idea of having an audience, i can't see myself just putting down my backpack in a crowded place, order people to get out of the way, soak up, light up, swirl fireballs around me and then put it all back and walk away, leaving families stunned and confused. i've done it at raves, met a few people, but they forgot my name after my second sentence. i love raves.

although a french rave is a free party, something with nothing fluorescent or pixie-ish or candy-like about it. khaki greens, dogs, dealers, DECIBELS! its intense;

anyway, i saw cass's vid, and she's awsome, hope to bump into her one day.

i think that this year since i am quite confident in my game, and got all my own gear and know my shiat, i'll get out more. france is fretting with festivals often, i'll try to get my driving license (something equivalent to the holy grail in this place) and get movin.

time will tell, biggrin

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Have you ever intentionally spun at a large gathering? I've met more spinners doing that than anything else; there are usually one or two in a crowd that haven't brought their poi/staff with them and if they see someone else they'll come over to have a chat or ask to have a go. Look out for things like firework displays, anything involving flames and loud explosions seems to attract us, take out your chains and have a spin. You might even get people throwing coins at you too.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
oh how oh how i wish i a had one person let along a crew to spin with in this wacky land of rice and kimchi... I don't know man... i think it starts to get to ya after a while.... someday i hope i get to area where people share the same intrests as me.....

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
i been a lone spinner for a long time, and its a good thing, because it teaches you stiff very deep, gets you based. I always find that i spin alone for a while till i get boored, then meet some peaple, be inspirede but go home and practice the new things. I really value the time spent with better spinners and it has ment that I have learnt a lot of new stuff very quickly because I already had the firm base of lots of practice to myself. I meet other spinners everywhere I go. practice in the town square, windows are good for checking your planes and stuff, be public and get over the peaple watching-must-perfrom idea. paragraph your posts (umm?)

love,

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol @ Nix?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
haha tthats sick woodnymph smile u should come back and visit if u do let me know,
but yannicus!!! thats really not cool that french raves arent pixyish lol i went to this rave for nye called apocalypse with around 3000 ppl and every person had 2 glowstix in hand and if not, photons and such+ so many spinners but they all suck and btw waht u should do is jsut carry your poi on u thats all and when the mood comes jsut light up and spin.
dont pictrue yourself doing it cus your feel retarted, jsut do it lol

it must be green

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i usually spin alone, or teaching people - they are gradually getting better - hopefully they will be able to teach me things soon.
i do sometimes spin with people - my staff friend called dave, poi friend called henry - devilstick friend called russel, but i dont learn much from them.

i tried to invent devil poi the other day... thats when you know you need to stop watching devil stick.

but i have met some people that are as good or better at poi than me, and every time i learnt something from them. so thats good, i think its what nx? was saying about a solid base to build on, which i have from all my lone practise.

tongue

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
You really don't need to spin FIRE poi in public, just bust out some tailed/sock/glow/whatever poi whenever you want... don't even think about it as a method to meet people, but the only way you will meet people is if you're accessable. I've noticed if you try to smile while spinning (very hard for many people, myself included) more people will walk up that either spin, or are interested in learning what in the hell you're doing ubblol

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
i'll try the smile (probably knock a tooth out) ubblol