Forums > Social Chat > Should I get practice poi or fire?

Login/Join to Participate

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Ive done firestaff but then Im sure I will hit myself a lot with the poi. The reason im asking this is, if you hit yourself with the firepoi, does it hurt a lot more than if you hit yourself with practice. I know the logical thing is to get both but I'm a bit low on funds...

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Have you thought about socks/strings?If you know you're headed to fire, then get a set of fire poi. You can always practice with them unlight.------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
I dunno, maybe its just me, but both my practice and fire poi are self made, and i find my fire poi a HELL of alot easier to twirl with, in terms of pain. This is probably because they're made from toweling material which is pretty soft, compared to tennis balls on my practice poi which hurt like hell when you hit yourself!!Neway, just thawt id put my two cents in!!Peace out------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
If you can only get one... get fire. I actually practice most of the time with my fire wicks because nothing else quite feels like them. Stick two plastic bags over them and they won't leave soot marks.I did recently get two beautiful pairs of practice poi smile and use them often. But when I'm REALLY trying to see if I've got a move down, it's always with my fire wicks. Fire wicks are also durable enough that you won't mess them up/wear them out by spinning them unlit... just don't hit the floor too much.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
ok....why does the home page read "Yin Yang"but in the thread is reads "Should I get practice poi or fire? "PS. I gotta call a point here, cause thats just wierd grin[This message has been edited by shizN0T (edited 02 March 2002).]

I smell something burning.

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Say what? yin yang?Unfortunately im not at all good at making stuff (crap), so Im going to buy it from the shop. So i guess ill be getting the fire then.

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Oh cool,I just saw what you meant. Awsome.Another question, which one should i get? I thought the one with a chain looked good.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - That's been happening a bit recently. Topic on main page different to actual topic. Wierd.I'd go with buying fire poi as you can practice with them unlit. When they're all sooty, wrap them in a sock

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude