Forums > Social Chat > Cold weather + home of pot

Login/Join to Participate

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Here in KC missouri it's -15 deg. C. (5deg F) witha windchill considerably lower. It's too frickin cold to spin or swing. So I'm just hopin it warms up a bit.-RyanPS: I've had about 5 people grab my "Home of Poi" pen, start chuckling, and tell me that they thought it said "Home of Pot" I for some reason find it realy funny. I bet I'm the only one.

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Ryan, I am in Western New York, snowbelt USA. We are the ones who got the inch of snow an hour for a whole day and are, as I am typing, in the midst of a sub-freezing snow/wind storm that is rattling the walls.I can feel your pain!!!!! frown------------------PeleHigher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
It is really weird here in western mass (as always). We had some days around 0 and had some snow for a while. Then today it was suddenly like 60. And there was just this huge thunderstorm with tons of wind, but also had some tiny hail during part of it. Sounded like the house was in the middle of a sand storm...

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hi allMinus temperatures here also. What do you think about Poi while snowboarding - is that overkill? There's not enough room to swing a cat in my apartment never mind Poi and it's bloody cold out!Merry Christmas Swinging SlinkstersKat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
it seems to me you guys shouldnt moan about cold as i am presently in the english lake district and it hasnt stopped raining since i got here. i know it is okay to spin in the rain but dry is definitely better. plus you people will all have decent snow which there is not here just a smattering -on the tops. still i go home to sunny scotland today and am crossing all my fingers at once for some decent snow.merry christmas everyone and enjoy your hogmanay.

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
if you gotta live in the North and spin poi, Victoria is place to be. It's barely been below zero celcius all winter, and it's been really dry. SO for everyone who thinks Canada is a snow-covered wasteland all winter, come for a visit (the sping flowers should be up soon, and the winter flowering plum trees will be in blosom in a week or two. hehe)Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fore my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
...anyone fancy throwing a bit of snow down Preston way (UK?) - I bet poi next to a frozen lake or waterfall would look wey cool.....(I would take the photo's if someone will send the plane tickets....anyone?! grin .....)

ffirebellGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Bah humbug, Victoria sucks too Dangerboy!! I'm here now and its damn cold!!! too cold to play! Fairie firebell

Fairie's wear boots.

GracieMaemember

Posted:
fffreeezing scotland!

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
HA HA HA HA HA HA HAthe last time i saw snow was roughly 19 yearsago - its a mixed blessing. you know that furs and firelight and candles C&@p ? its just not quite as romantic when its too hot to sleep or...and its not like we get too much nice weather to spin in either - seems like its always raining in summer, which it is right now.weather's weather y'know? anyone on this board live in a desert? ;po-o

Lunamember
11 posts

Posted:
I don't live in the desert but I'm in South Florida, USA which can be warmer. wink To me it is too cold to spend much time outside. It's 20-30 degrees Ferenheit. I've never seen snow! Everyone should come to Florida in the winter! There aren't enough fire people here. If I had millions, I'd send you all plane tickets.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
haha i just thought i'd make this a "hot" smile topic since you were missing just one more post.. grin maybe now this is gonna keep you a bit warmer!!!take care and happy swinging,Simos

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
For everyone in the cold climates.. how about taking some big balls of ice and screwing the ends of the tethers into them, and swinging some ice around?Just a thought... smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You know there Shawn...it's an idea but then I think of the last time one of my friends knocked me upside the head with an ice ball and the idea is just no longer entertaining.Ice in the temple...it soothes the bump while creating a concussion! winkHowever..the thought of chaisng the friend who nailed me wihta set of these...now that is pure enjoyment!
Non-Https Image Link
------------------PeleHigher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Just as a note, I tried snow poi. They just kinda flew apart. Futhermore it's supposed to hit -5 deg. F tonight. We still have 8+ inches of snow. I ordered a unicycle the other day, hopefully I will be able to ride it by the tim it thaws.-Ryan

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

Keithmember
7 posts

Posted:
I was just at my father's place in Watertown, NY (it's north of Toronto, Canada). It was about -20 celsius, but my parents had never seen me spin, so I did for about five minutes. My whole body was kept decently warm by the flames, except my hands! After five minutes, I coudn't feel or move my ring or little fingers. I went inside and ran lukewarm water over them, and boy did that hurt! But hey, I got to spin.Keith

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe :)It's 38 degrees C outside, and too damned hot to twirl :))At least firetwirling can warm you up...I cant imagine twirling airconditioning units to cool me down :))BTW - if the weather is really nasty I move all the furniture around in my living room so I can twirl...doesnt anyone here twirl indoors? Sure you cant do Chasing the Sun (unless you live in a movie theatre) but you can still get some moves down...time to practice behind the back moves...I think.Josh

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Well I have been trying to practice Poi in my apt.- you should see how short I have to swing them!! I still keep managing to hit the light though shockedI am dying to go outside and start fire Poi but it is very cold outside frown Although if I set myself in fire the snow would be great to out myself out wink Unless you have a large mansion type apt. with high ceilings, don't try this one at home kids! Alas apartments in Japan could double as shoe boxes

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

vyvyanjourneyman
92 posts

Posted:
Nnnyyyhhhaaaaaa! Its 37 deg C here today and too damn hot to twirl! In the evening though, many fire twirlers coverge on the local gardens and its sooooo ace, palms and fire and the green grass, there even a bar just on the border of the park, a restaurant with outside areas, music...yeehaaa. I remember 6 months ago on the old bulletin board all you northern hemisperians smiling about your fab weather whilst all us southerners froze our friggin nuts off and went through numerous light fittings by practising indoors. (Hee hee, much unashamed gloating). Bring on the heat!

...Firebreathing? Magic is only part of it my friend, diet does the rest!

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Hehe, yeh me and 2 housemates were playing with a staff inside when we first moved in and smashed so many lightbulbs. The thing is, they don't just seem to smash, they completely explode and send minuscuel pieces of glass on a mission to seek out the furthest crevices of the room.. hmm, makes a cool popping noise tho! grinChloehave fun, burn bright

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
yeah yeah yeah yeahits damn cold here in ontario toobut this winter being my first back in land of ice and snowi discovered that spining in a snow storm can be the most beutifull thinggloves can be a bit of a drag on the manual dextarity but i found a good pair of non insulated leather ones and from now on when ever there is a blizzard you know where to find me

burnin down the house

ffirebellGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
I spun in -15!!! Moncton NewBrunswick! Holy cow was it ever cold!!! ------------------

Fairie's wear boots.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
How odd, a colleague once thought I was looking at www.homeofpot.com too.

biggrin

Cant we change the logo so we dont all look like stoners?...
ubbangel
oh wait..