Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Is it just me or does anybody else out there think that by using heavy poi or staff that can hurt you, but not too badly, you'll get good quick? It seems to work for me. ------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way, I guess he was right.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I think you're right Phuzz. There's some fizziks behind it all...the force you put on the chains to keep the poi moving in a circular motion is proportional to the speed they travel and to their weight. So if you keep the force the same and then up the weight, the velocity will be reduced, which give you more time to think about what you're doing. (I think that's right, at least...anyone know for sure? It's been a while since good ol fizziks class... tongue)I learned with glowsticks...they're light, so it took me a while but I got it down. Never thought until recently to try heavier poi, but recently I have and it seems to work for me as well. grin

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Plus the fact that when you're swinging something heavy it hurts more, so you learn quickly to hit yourself less.

Jesus helps me trick people.

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I have a pair of Beaming poi and to be quite honest, if I am going to be swinging for a while, I like the bean bags the best. Even if its a short amount of time, I feel limited to what I can do. Maybe its just because I'm afraid they are gonna smash my skull smile Comparitively, I don't spin as straight either.------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
I totally agree with you Phuhz. I busted my forehead with a poi, but haven't hit my forehead since. Same thing with my knee. It only takes one mistake. The only problem is, those mistakes hurt like no other.------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
All part of why we learn poi!

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
pain is a good teacher...... but theres a fine line between gritting your teeth and getting nailes and just giving up....i like to use a bit of both really, sore poi, and really really sore poi

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
"fizziks" - reminds me of Fezzik from Princess Bride smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
"Fezzik, tear his arms off.""...Oh, you mean this gate key." - I love that movie.------------------"We do not inherit this Earth from our ancestors, but merely borrow it from our children"

Fear the evil monkey!

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
"He doesn't mean any *harm*""He doesn't have a lot of... *charm*""Anybody want a peanut!""What are you doing with Miracle Max's Holocaust Cloak?""Well, he said that since it looked so good on me, I could just keep it."I have seen that movie more times than any other. All's I've got to say is "R.O.U.S.'s! No such thing!"------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
AND NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING!!Pain is definitely a motivator. I think it makes you a little more cautious when you try it again, so you are less likely to rush and make the same mistake. I can relate to this. A few weeks ago, I was trying to get a wrap combo down pat, and two of the wraps kept chewing off my knuckles. shocked I learned quick as hell where to move my hands so that I didn't have to deal with that pain. Now the combo is flawless.Or it can go the other way. You could try *so much* new stuff, that you hit yourself often enough to not care anymore. Like getting conditioned to it. Water off a duck's back. Hmmm. Conditioning to beaming poi might take a while... tongue------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Kinniemember
7 posts

Posted:
Paddy... wink In physics right now I am studing centripetal force! BAH. Actually, it's interesting to learn about why my poi does what it does. I wonder how many poi spinners and jugglers major in physics?But yeah, I find my heavy wicks easier to spin sometimes because with the glowsticks, you have to spin faster to keep them going in a circle.

Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world, and its people's mindless games...- incubus

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
After getting hit with big heavy solid things that are on fire and attached to big heavy chains I don't even flinch at a glowstick in the nuts anymore. Actually, come to think of it, the only time I can recall ever being hurt by a glowstick was last week when I was spinning at a club in pvc. For some reason everything hurts worse in vinyl pants.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
well, my brother spins poi and is a physics PhD, so theres one anyway...(i think hes going to research alternative energy sources though but maybe not, he starts talking and i have no idea what hes talking about...)Pere

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
if it really hurt, do it again right away! otherwise you'l be afraid to do it again! learned this breathing fire.(bah nevermind)

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmm,
quote:
For some reason everything hurts worse in vinyl pants.
Anyone going to Mardi Gras this weekend? wink(sweaty dancing in pvc planned)R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...