bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Is is possible to buy kevlar by the yard? I've looked around online and haven't found any.

Maybe I don't need kevlar now that I think about it...I want to make something to wrap my hair in when I spin. I really like my hair and have already burned it once. (Luckily no visible damage). I'm a girl. Dat's how it is.

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Where else but the wonderful HOP shop! https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/browse.asp?cat=1000&path=1000
should give you what you're looking for, it's by the foot so you can do the neccisary conversions... or just hit the "Go Shopping" button at the top of the page you're looking at right now and select your currency, hit the "Kevlar Wicks" button on the left, and you'll be all set! Support the forums you love so much, buy from HOP as much as you can smile

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
That's cool. I was more interested in cloth - like to make clothes. Not that I need a whole kevlar outfit...just a few choice parts.

Thank you.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
As for cloth, I highly recommend buying stuff from specialty cloth stores. I've been severely disappointed buying material online, finding it's either been really cheap quality, not what it looked like on the picture, or burns much more easily than they say. Good luck in your search, might want to look in to leather as well, quite nice for hair ties if you can devise a way to make it tighten. I have a few female friends with long-ish hair that use leather for hair ties and it works great.

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Yes you do not want kevlar. look for nomex but it is pricey by the yard.They sell these nomex swat team hoods on ebay for less than $20US they could easily be made into a cool beany type hat.As far as buying fire proof material by the yard 1st you need to know what to buy that will depend on how fat your wallet is and what you are using it for.

I sell commado coth on my site it is a heavy demin that is treated to be fire resitant it has a 'FR' rating I only stock it in black it runs $12 US a yard but i can get it in different colors. This matiral can not be washed if so the the chemicals that make it "FR" will wash out.Commando cloth is great for floor drops to replace a wet towel or to make customes that dont get washed..........

when looking for cloths you will neeed to know the ratings
FR-- means it has been treated with something in order to keep it from burning say you get fuel on it and light which I have done in testing it will burn till the fuel burns off but the cloth wont burn on its own

FP means fire proof and expensive. this rating is for materials that are not treated with anything but are fire proof such as kevlar, nomex

if you look around ebay you can find alot of nomex pants shirts and jump suits for fairly cheap.I have a pair of race car driver pants they are nomex i find them great for fire dancing .

or a another real cheap way you can keep your hair from burning is just wet it down before you spin biggrin

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Wow that's great. So helpful. Yes, could wet my hair down but that's not quite as badass looking. smile

Leather sounds like a good bet, plus it's fashionable. The firewhip site is great. Is commando cloth easy to sew with? It looks thick in the picture.

Have a great new year. Be safe.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I love both my custom knitted beanies and my waist length hair...

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu