UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
my computer just killed itself.

the windows system folder is corrupted.

I lost my desktop, all the things on the start menu, everything i installed, all the windows updates, my dignity, etc.

It is very very annoying.

The worst thing was that I was thinking about the last time this happened about 10 minutes before it happened this time.

Im really pissed off.

now i have to reinstall everything and make myself happy again.

at least i didnt loose my entire mp3 collection totalling about 20gb, all the movies i have spent the past month downloading constantly, and a friends collection of people hugging wink

just neded to vent my anger into somewhere that i cant break.

rainbows would be better than a heap of hugs.

*smacks head against wall*

AAAARRGGHH!!!!!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
dude...i feel ur pain!

its got to the point were i used to store all my mps movies andcollection on another hdd to makesure ididnt lose them, it i got a bad cluster on that drive:(

still not to worry!

just re-install xp overthe top, or do a sys restore, and that may help!

later days man

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
dude that was the problem.

When you install windows xp, it autpomatically deletes all yours old settings and files and stuff... its about the only bad thing i have found with windows XP

*waits for someone to plug linux*

oh well, my desktop is now doing the windows update thingy. thankfully ive mamanged to find the old files and stuff and im currently doing nothign imparticular.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
My computer is ****ed beyond belief. It's not had its lid on for the past 2 months due to the fact that I'm having to switch in 2 CD drives (one of which can write but not read CDs, the other which can read but not write) and 4 hard drives, each with various abilities and deficiencies.

My new years resolution is going to a commitment to work on the uncontrolable anger that is generated by my interactions with this failing electronic demon.

I often wish that it would just break fully; instead it seems to taunt me by coming up with deeply implausable situations e.g. the CD rewriter creating CDs that can be read by every player other than itself.

The amount of knowledge I've gained by trudging through internet help pages looking for solutions to its latest problem is incredible.

The backup problem is quite emotionally sapping, as a lot of work goes onto the system, not just as documents, but also the time spent setting it up and getting a good collection of programs together.

Just before christmas I thought I'd resolved it by getting a second hard drive, setting it as a slave and copying the entire first HD over to it. This week it all went wrong when the new HD (actually second hand cos my BIOS and motherboard can't use a HD over 10 Gigs) got corrupted and can no longer function as a stand alone HD.

I know the end is near, and it's a shame cos I'll miss the internet and swapping thoughts with you guys, but my system is now so old that it's pointless trying to buy new hardware to keep it going, and it's not worth the frustration it causes.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
On a related note, for anyone involved in artificial intelligence research, I reckon there's a huge commercial market for anyone who can invent a 'pain circuit' for PC's.

i.e. circuits/software that enable your pc to experience pain; so, when you next switch on your pc and it gives you the old: -

'your pc was not shut down properly... will run Scandisk...please ensure that next time you shut down properly..etc'

when the fact is that the reason it wasn't shut down properly is because the ****er froze up yet again for no apparent reason.

Instead of sitting there inwardly seething, you can hook up its 'pain box' and whip it to within an inch of its life, listening to its loudpeakers screaming, begging for mercy, and promising that it will get its act together from now on and that it's really, really sorry for all the grief and frustration that it's caused in the past, and that it will never, ever make the same mistakes again.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
a seperate harddisk for mp3s is deffinately the way forward. For piece of mind its almost worth buying a big external hd and backing up your mp3s every now and then to it. You could split the cost with a couple of others and them use it too.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I love my mac.

Except when it was very new (less than a week), the hard drive suddenly decided to make a grinding noise and then the computer froze.

So I took it back to the Apple Store and they tried to tell me it was a software problem. Fortunately, I had taken my stethoscope with me and I had him first point to where the hard drive is in the casing (I have a laptop) and then I had him listen to the computer and tell me exactly where the noise was loudest. He yielded.

Fortunately, all my files had been backed up on my old computer, which I still use as a back-up machine. So I just used my old computer while they replaced my HD and shipped the computer back. And then I had to spend a day restoring all my files and settings.

Uber-annoying.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i kind of cheat!

i use hdd caddys, a set od universal caddys that we switch from machine to machine, i dont like external drives, they are very costly and slow and costly!

i have 4 120gig hdd in caddys in my srv and a caddy bay free in my room machine!

as for xp i would have to be sitting infront of it to try and fix it, but sorry dude cant help you, im a hands on geek!

dvdburners are a good idea, but coslty so i chose caddys and drives!

HURAH FOR GEEKDOM!

Step (el-nombrie)

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Macs are the worst things ever.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
That's it, Astar. MP3 players at dawn.

I'm bringing my iPod.

-Mike

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
I don't know. Teletubby Windows XP is definitely worse.

*deliberately not plugging anything*

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

Astarmember
1,591 posts

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
ubblol Ok, that's hilarious, since I've had all those things happen.

Until I got to OSX. I've had one OSX crash and that was because of the grinding hard drive. It's stable as a rock. The only OSX crash I've ever seen was in my old lab when we were running a scientific program for three-dimensional imaging of electron microscope data as a beta over a beta. Then we crashed the OS. So we REALLY had to mess with it.

However, the fact that that movie kept de-buffering about 2/3 of the way in is annoying.

-Mike

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
OSX is only stable because it's linux based (PC)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yes. On superior hardware.

Actually, there is one and only one application that will reliably crash OSX.

AOL. mad

-Mike

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
Quote:

OSX is only stable because it's linux based (PC)

Where did you pull that one from? I've never read such utter rubbish in my entire life.

Most Applications Crash, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

compare to:

Produces Erroneous Numbers Through Incorrect Understanding of Mathematics

So, the kernel in OSX is FreeBSD (not linux, yes there's a world of difference) based, but that is not the whole operating system. The core of Windows NT through now to XP is derived from a system designed by the same person who designed VMS (whose name I can't remember, and I can't remember the name of the system either), but Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, felt they could add to the security of the system by putting very complicated code (graphics and window handling) at the same level as process switching, virtualised memory, and resource control (ie, the things that are traditionally in a kernel). So they could have built a fairly sane system on top, but they chose not to, instead making the whole thing a good deal less stable.

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Matthew: shutup.

Too Many Acronyms Can Really Piss People Off

(TMACRPPO)

and lets please not get started on a list of acronyms.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
windows is the devil, come to the light and enjoy linux!

*grins*

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
OH FOR [CENSORED by choice] SAKE!!

if this nisedives intot eh agrement that has been going around since the year 'dot', i will delete this thread.

It has got to be my biggest pet hate.

ITS A [DITTO] COMPUTER!!!

use whatever [see the pattern yet?] operating system you want to!

neither is better.

Both are different.

Both have good and bad points.

Lets leave it at that.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I agree with Unpleasantly Crucified Often Flatulated... no more acronyms! tongue

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
poo.

its happened again.

well different irreversable problem.

but its currently in the process of being fixed (rererererererererereinstalled)

*doesnt bother smacking head against wall anymore*

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
its all gone. eek

all of my 5000 or so mp3s mad
all of my simpsons, red dwarf, futurama, invader zim episodes ubbcrying
all of my uni work that bovril came round last night to help me with frown

its all gone.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
frown Now I reeeely feel sorry for you. hug

...although I can help you replace some invader zim and some other stuff if you want.
EDITED_BY: polythene (1072712504)

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
my keyboard is fine. As i said to malcolm earlier, its just me that cant spell.

RescueMe? you mean that song by aretha franklin??

whats that got to do with it?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
jon if it helps i can give you all of series 1-4 and the first two episodes of series 5 futerrama if you like?

ill mail them to you on cd? or sort them out with you if you like..............anything else i can do, any progs you need? pm me a list and ill see what i can find you!

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
right..thankfully everything is still on the hard disk (i hope, well i know that some of it is on there)

now ive justr got to find a way of putting 100gb of stuff into a 15gb hard disk... eek

but thankfully it is mainly all there.

might have to take you up on teh offers though

im most pissed off about the red dwarf episodes. they were my pride and joy.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
hug loosing Red Dwarf episodes? eek

I feel for you honey! Thats one of the worst things that could happen to someone hug

hug

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
nah, just got a program to actually physically read the contents of the drive and not just ask the computer what it can see.

the problem is that i cant put 100gb of stuff onto a 40gb hard disk, so its going to have to be the MP3 collection above all else.

I am totally lost without music.