Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > carry-overs and glowstringing

Login/Join to Participate

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
ok well i'm not a firespinner to the dismay of many, but i do spin glowsticks...i've been working on carry-overs for quite some time and it would appear that they arent easily pulled off due to the lack of weight at the end..will this be a continuous problem, or is it something i just need to practice a lot??? any advice would be much appreciated

..::Spiral Out:Keep Going::..

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
I started out the same way, and yes the problem still ensues...but if you just keep on practicing you'll get the moves down fine, and after a while, transferring from one to the other becomes easier! Just like magic! biggrin
Something that I've discovered is that if I learn a move with my glowsticks, I can transfer it over to my poi with ease, but going from poi to glowsticks is much harder. So experiment and have fun! But most importantly, be careful with those glowsticks! You might not know it yet, but they're out to get you! tongue

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
glowsticks can do everything firre can do except burn.... well it can burn.. but I don't think you want to spin them when they do...
serisously... glowsticks can even stall after forever of practice.. though actual stalls and isolatiosn have to be the ahrdest moves I've come across glowstick-wise but they all can be done...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
holy crap i've been trying isolations for WEEKS now and still can't get em....it's so frustrating.....same with the carry-overs....oh well, if you say they can be done, then i guess i'll keep plugging away

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You don't need to spin fire to try poi of different weights and feels. I really like switching from glow to sock to fire poi. Moves seem to be easiest with one of the three and then you can transfer it between the others. Isolations are way easier with heavier 'wicks'... try two or three glowstick on the end of a string. Or stick a juggling ball in a sock (way easier for isolations) or even heavier poi with less elasticity.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im pretty poi savvy but what is a carry-over? This is a term Ive just started hearing recently but have yet to see a description.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
hahah i was jsut wondering that? i only glowstring and wonder how is it that u guys know all these names for moves? lol( i guess i'm isolated) lol
do u discuss it with ppl who u c at parties? lol

it must be green

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Joulz, if you go to www.glowsticking.com theres a forum for glowstringing.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
carry-overs --->> https://motspoi.firetwirlers.com/Poilessons/Doublecarryover.html

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ahh, ok. Ive known about those, just didnt know what they were called. Thanks Moses.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
np smile .....i guess i'm gonna have to add more weight and see how well that works out..then if i can get that down, take the weight off....bah!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
oh riiiiiight...

for some reason i thought you were talking about stalls (bringing the poi\glowstick to a dead stop)

round these parts carry-overs are mostly called thru-wraps, just in case you wanted to search for more info about them.

I'd say that you'll find them easier with longer strings.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
yo moss thats a sick!!!! move so much coordination and thnx to umm ( i dont wanan go back to c his name) who gave me the glowsticking.com

it must be green