KorinFoxGOLD Member
24 posts

Posted:
Ok this is my new design for LED poi, that I think no one has used.
Materials:
2x AA or AAA batteries
1x dc to dc converter (MAX1759)
bunch of capacitors that go with the converter and resistors
2 to 4 LEDs depending on color and voltage usage
The dc to dc converter can output at a max of 5.5 volts, and max current of 100mA
The problem is that you need a printed circuit board for these chips (they end up to be about the dimensions of a AAA battery except flat, and shorter) since these chips are 3mmx3mm. I will make them soon, I just need to order LEDs and get myself some wire and solder everything together. These poi will be contained within polycarbonate tubes. My circuit is based on these , just scroll down to the LED flashlight version 2. I hope these turn out well!!!

Vagueness defines everything...

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Sounds promising - looking forward to see how they turn out.

Cake or Death?

KorinFoxGOLD Member
24 posts

Posted:
Yeah we ran into problems mounting the IC chips (they are 3mm by 3mm) but I'm thinking of doing these as maybe a summer project (I was doing them for the school talent show for us, a group of 3, to use). I did kind an answer to that problem tho, but I think in then end they might cost about... 20 bucks each maybe... I dont know, but we already orders 2 bags of 10 LED light sticks to use...

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
The LED Poi I'm building are just 4 super bright leds connected to 3xAAA batteries (in series) which means they're getting rather a lot more current than they probably should do. I'm just going to wait and see how long the LEDs last - should still be a long time as long as they're kept cool I reckon smile

I like the idea of using the DC converter though - good idea.

Not sure why you need the PCB? Just glue the bits to something then solder them up with a few small wires?

Cake or Death?

Truecatmember
1 post

Posted:
Sounds great, Hoping it will be lighter than the LEDs sold at store.
Thunk!
Keep at it

KorinFoxGOLD Member
24 posts

Posted:
well each pin is about .4mm (yes .4 milimeters) apart, so soldering wires to them is not feasable... I wanted to use a DC to DC converter because alkaline AA or AAA batteries lose current rather quickly, so instead of 10 of use as advertised there might only be 2 hours of good brightness (although you can invest in rechargable NiCd or the other one type batteries that dont lose voltage). Since the converter is not 100% efficient, out of an advertised 10 hours, I might be able to get about 8 hours of use. Also I would only need to use 2 AA or AAA batteries...

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
i resently bought some UV 3mm led's so i could change the color of the light on my gamecube and i had the other laying around. but then i saw some info on glowsticking.com about how to make your own led glowsticks. so i bummed my friends soddering iron and about an hour and a half and $15 later i had a nice little UV glowstick. only problem im having is that i cant keep my connection to my battery. im using a 12v remote battery its about 7mm wide 20mm or so long. so you have to keep the battery at the open end next to the button switch. im still having a lot of fun with it and plan on making a few more with the extra led's i have. i still dont know how well they are gonna stand up to being swung around.

-kiel

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
check out onewheel dave's hammerhead sock-poi...
I would put a link, but i is a lazy bugger...
they're basically the same idea in a bomb-proof design... i loved them when i made them.
its fun experimenting with stuff (although i burnt myself with the soldering iron and wasted quite a lot of money buying random leds that didn't really work too well... never mind eih!) ubbrollsmile

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I recognise that foot Bongo (Jon here)! smile Just wait 'till I'm back in bris' this weekend - should have my new LED Poi working with a bit of luck. No flashing or anything yet, but they should still look pretty funky!

Hammer head's Poi are a great idea for testing out. I'm not sure how long they'd last in the long term, but they're so easy to make, that's not an issue ubbidea

Cake or Death?