Forums > Technical Discussion > What do I do with them now? (Laser Fun!)

Login/Join to Participate

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
What up, wave
I just saw really bright laser pointers for €2 each, so of course I bought 20 of them. I now have 20 really bright lasers and absolutley no idea what to do with them.

Really bright eh?

Any ideas folks? umm

All suggestions (especially silly poi ones) greatfully recieved,

Squarefish

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Tape them to the inside of sock poi about 3/4 of the way down the sock, pointing towards the "head" of the poi. Illuminates quite nicely smile

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Stick one up each nostril and flash them on and off. Use red ones and sing Rudolf.
Very funny and very clever.
Also, if you're spending 50 Euro on lasers, can I be your friend? wave

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Stick six in a star pattern to a frisbee. Night frisbee with an alien invasion look. OMG would that look so cool in fog biggrin

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
You will need
1 cat (buy, beg, borrow, steal if necessary)
1 Sitting room.
1 Beer and comfy chair.

tricks:
1) Shine it on the floor first to get the cat's attention. It'll soon start chasing it all over the place...
2) To confuse the cat turn it off and make it appear somewhere else.

Advanced tricks
1) Have the cat chase the pointer toward a couch and as the dot goes under the front of the couch turn it off. Now the cat will think the alien (that must be destroyed) is hiding under the couch. You can now make it exit from a viable part of the couch or anywhere else it'll see it.
2) Remember the Alien can climb walls too and most cats will jump for it

Warning
Cats will stop at nothing to get the alien to get the alien, so expect them to jump from furniture toward breakables
I have no what will happen if you try 40 at once but I'd suggest 40 cats though, I've also not seen more than 1 cat try to kill an alien before so that's probably risky enough.

Throw away the ball of string.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
ubblol I've never laughed so hard at something on the internet...

FyreFlyemember
26 posts

Posted:
Such clever and witty people amongst us....We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

Yesterday I thought I could not.
Today I am certain I can.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Geckos on the ceiling like to eat laserdots too. Try not to make them run too fast as they have a precarious grip on the ceiling. Try to lead 2 geckos together so they fight each other for exclusive rights to laserdot chasing. biggrin

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I would say put several of them on each poi string/chain. Then invite a friend that has a fog machine over along with a number of other friends to see the coolness!

Or maybe strap them to the sides of your cathedral wicks so they make a square pattern on the walls and fog.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:

Um...To those who are suggesting putting them on pois and frisbees and stuff, there are a lot of people who argue that laser pointers have a high chance of causing premature blindness if shone directly into the eyes...

Squarefish, please check any and all safety requirements in the packaging of your pointers, and if there isn't, then contact the manufacturer and get a copy from them.

Quote:

Class 1 lasers are deemed eye safe under any conditions - they have a maximum output of 0.4 microwatts and even if viewed for prolonged periods of time, they do not produce eye damage.

Class 2 lasers emit no more than 1 milliwatt and are eye safe because the intensity of the radiation is such that if the beam enters a person's eye, he will blink and turn his head away. This is called the aversion response and typically limits the exposure to about 0.25 seconds during which time the radiation will not produce irreversible damage in the eye.

Class 3 is split into two: Class 3A which has an upper power output limit of 5 milliwatts aand Class 3B which has a limit of 500 milliwatts. Class 3A is confined to lasers that emit visible radiation and the beam diverges in such a manner that when it reaches the eye in any likely exposure conditions, sufficient energy to cause damage to the retina cannot enter the eye pupil. Class 3B lasers are very likely to cause damage to the eye before the aversion response operates.

Class 4 lasers emit more than 500 milliwatts and are capable of causing serious irreversible damage

Laser pointers are, or should be, class 2 or 3A, but some imports that come from poorly regulated sources have turned out to be inside the class 3B rating whem marked class 3A. These are obviously potentially hazardous. How can one be sure that one has not got a rogue pointer? Short of testing it yourself on calibrated test gear, you have to rely on the integrity of the supplier just as we all do with other technical products likes powerful drugs, household chemicals and electrical devices for the home. If you have any doubts, the local trading standards people should be able to help. But we don't get excited and ban all electric fires just because some unsafe ones are occasionally imported....

The rest of this article can be found here

Play safe everyone, or else! wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
So in conclusion, far safer up the nose then.
If they could be fixed inside a solid plastic object like the awesome HOP shop LED poi then they would provide a bright colour without direct exposure to the beam. Like a kinder surprise egg maybe? umm

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Eeep, eek
Class 2 alright charles, and they come wth diffraction gratings wich make cool designs and also help break up the beams (even more diffuse )

On a side note me and some friends were driving along and wandered in to a fog bank, fog+lasers=coool ubbidea

Squarefish

(...my eyes!! my beautiful, beautiful eyes!!!.....) ubbangel

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Get a smoke machine, bunch the 20 lasers into 2 rods of 10 and then spin biggrin
Pretty laser display - woo hoo smile

That, or go to some public speaking events and pretend you're a sniper...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
take small mirrors and set spread them aroudn yorur house so that each laser sets off a mirror thats reflects in to naother mirror and so on.. ( figured since u dont mind buying 40 euros worth of laser pointers u wouldnt mind buying more than 50mrrors for less then 40euros) and make cool paters round your house+ include smoek machine and u got a sick settign for a party
ubbrollsmile beerchug weavesmiley biggrin

it must be green

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
What about getting some tube, roughing up the outside of it (so it diffuses the light more effectively) then placing the lasers at regular intervals within the tube. Maybe use a mirror on the back of the next laser to reflect more light:

------------------------------------------------------------
LASER MIRROR|LASER MIRROR|LASER MIRROR|LASER MIRROR|
------------------------------------------------------------

Now swing them round for some aero-tech style goodness. This is an idea I've been thinking of for a while - just not found the time to play with (yet) wink

Cake or Death?

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
i discussed this with some ppl, they say.. sell them:))

it must be green

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
"Buy low, Sell high"
sounds like a plan beerchug Don't forget your Australian friend. wave

"Mini-me, stop humping the "Laser""

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Actually the people who have given it serious thought have said it's extreamly unlikely they will cause eye damage.

The basis was that they would burn out the retina, which is absurd because there just isn't enough watts to generate enough energy in the eye to make that happen, and theres no reported cases of eye damage from laser pointers, and theres thousands of people playing with them, shineing them in their own eyes for minutes at a time etc...

So, feel free to shine it wherever you want.

robocowmember
2 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Actually the people who have given it serious thought have said it's extreamly unlikely they will cause eye damage.

The basis was that they would burn out the retina, which is absurd because there just isn't enough watts to generate enough energy in the eye to make that happen, and theres no reported cases of eye damage from laser pointers, and theres thousands of people playing with them, shineing them in their own eyes for minutes at a time etc...

So, feel free to shine it wherever you want.

Go for it, but please don't tell other people to! Its like sticking you hand over a candle (or lit fire poi!) Yeah you can hold it there for a bit, but you WILL eventually get burned, it just depends how big the fire is.
You are playing with your SIGHT people!

No it isn't much energy, but this is energy per second...

That was fun. Can you put me out now?

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
but if you are using it for poi or a staff it wont stay in anyones eye for more than a split second. That shouldnt cause eye damage. If that still doesnt satisfy you get some corregated plastic, use a hole punch to make some small disks and tape them over the laser.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Laser pointers are, or should be, class 2 or 3A, but some imports that come from poorly regulated sources have turned out to be inside the class 3B rating whem marked class 3A. These are obviously potentially hazardous

MOST lasers pointers don't have enough strength to damage the eyes. (2 or 3B)

SOME do. (3B)

The ones that do (3B) are SOMETIMES marked as safe (3A).

So, take a few to the local consumer authorities or Health and Safety part of your government, get the tested, and THEN you will know if they are safe or not.

It may seem silly, but it never hurts to take too many precautions, but it often hurts to not take enough...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

heads up peaple, there is a new set of legislation comming from the eu about lazers. Im not shure about pointers but i know for a fact that frosypaws 5mV green lazer will fall under strict guidelines. Thease break down as not alowing any possibility of lazers shining into peaples faces, requiring risk assesments for thier use. So if your in europe and you plan to use them, for performance, make shure you check it out.

Dunno about the us.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti