Forums > Social Chat > Shake, rattle, and roll!

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So we had a little earthquake this morning. Actually, we had a BIG earthquake this morning, it just was little down here in SoCal, but in central California around San Luis Obispo, it was recorded as a 6.5.

I felt it. First one I've ever felt. A wierd side-to-side shaking with an irregular frequency around 2 Hz. Rattled the windows and ever so slightly knocked the paintings on the wall askew. No books fell off shelves or anything.

Anyone else feel it?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Yeah... but then I found out it was just a bit a gas... tongue

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
no, the earth hasn't moved for me yet........

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
My inlaws felt it....they are in California...

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
*Looks at flid... as "I feel the earth move, under my feet" song starts and disco lights start flashing...

umm

when in Rome

*Starts to boogie to disco music*

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I feel the sky tumbling down , tumbling down

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Last year I made a point of jumping up and down on the San Andreas fault. Nothing happened then so they can't blame me now.

That big landslide on the Isle of Wight however...

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Never been in an earthquake earthquake, but did feel a small one in my home town in TX! It is weird because it's North TX and we experienced a small one. I think it was around a 2.0 or smaller. I did feel alil sideways motion and a low grumbling noise like a helicopter was flying over really low. I was in my Senior English class in HS and we were in the library upstairs. It felt weird and also the fact nobody knew what it was because we don't usually get stuff like that around here. Most of us just assumed it was a helicopter or something, we just ignored it and went on looking for sources for our term themes.

I know of a fault line in Meers, OK. At the resteraunt, there is a sismograph(sp) and sometimes you can see the needle move on it.

I couldn't imagine a big one like you see on TV and stuff. Hope nobody was hurt too badly and that you are ok hug

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
earthquakes are no fun. when i was living in redlands, CA, we had one that was a 7.5 with the epicenter in redlands. i was thankfully in vegas when it happened (230 miles away), but it was so big that was felt it there. the weird part was that my roommate and i were both in vegas at the movie theater, watching fight club. and the earthquake hit at the same time in the movie where they zoom in on brad pitt's face and the camera shakes. for a moment we thought it was a really cool special effect. ubblol but we both got that "doom" feeling, like something wasn't normal about that earthquake, and when we left we discovered that it wasn't in vegas but was actually in redlands. i'm so happy i wasn't in redlands when it happened.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I dunno. Because it was gentle and very non-scary, I just thought it was wild!

I had fun. I'm sure if it was violent and stuff started falling off shelves, that would have been a different thing entirely.

-Mike

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
something about earthquakes just unnerve me to the core. i can't stand them. seven years in california never changed that either. i actually wrote about once in a poem, made for a nice metaphor for what was going on in my life at the time.

on another note, i was living in vegas when we had the pepcon explosion. talk about scary. for those of you who never heard about it, it was a rocket fuel plant, and something when awry (i forget exactly) and the place exploded. the explosion was like the equivalent of a bomb basically. our house was prolly (i don't remember exactly) 10 miles away and it blew our front doors in. busted the frame. i was in school and it caused the ceiling tiles to collapse. my friend's house had their windows shattered. scary stuff.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
OK...warning...this is a geology geek moment. You've been warned.

Texas has a fairly complex geologic history, and many parts of it have old, inactive faults, as does Louisiana. From time to time, these faults experience a little bit of slip...usually nothing major, but a small shake, which will feel like a truck driving by or something similar.

Seismometers can be really sensitive, and a truck driving by will set the needle in motion, but the "amplitude" of the wave won't be huge....similar to that of a small earthquake. One thing that is very cool, though, is that even long distance Earthquakes can be recorded on remote seismometers. Geologists and geophysicists tend to use Seismometers in different locations to help locate the epicenter of an earthquake through triangulation.

OK geology geek moment over. I've got a Masters in the subject and have never been in a quake. Hope all are ok.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
**drools**

something about that was just so hot spitfire ubblol

seriously, nothing wrong with geek moments. just proves what a lovely person you are!

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

something about earthquakes just unnerve me to the core. i can't stand them. seven years in california never changed that either. i actually wrote about once in a poem, made for a nice metaphor for what was going on in my life at the time.

I guess I'm more of a true Californian than I thought. It didn't bother me. I just rode it out and rocked and rolled. Earthquakes scare me, yes, but the Midwest gets tornadoes and the South and East get hurricanes, etc.

Whether it's a building that collapses on you or a tornado that throws you into the next county, either way, you're just as dead.

-Mike